Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #21
City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Marin X2

RickB made a comment a week or two ago, something like - you can be proactive on maintenance or wait for things to break at the most inopportune time. X2 on this thought as well regarding trying to keep up with a large live aboard family and toilet system maintenance alone.

This summer in Alaska we met a family living on a 50 something sailboat with 7 kids. Everybody seemed happy except the skipper who was neck deep in boat chores every minute of every day

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #22
As an example of day to day maintenance, yesterday I spent part of the day cleaning and resealing the sea water strainer for the air cond, it was full of barnicles.A trip to wm for gaskets. The day before I had to dissamble a 5day old jabsco electric head, the girlfriend threw clorex cleanup towels down it., O and last nite I discorved my stove which i never use has a broken switch and does not work And last week on my way home from the bahamas the 2month old FM radio on the fly bridge quit. Have not had time to look at that yet

motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #23
The cockpit area is a nice feature. With family you will want to fish some, plus you can also have another place to sit and have coffee.
Fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #24
City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
The Hatteras would normally be considered a motoryacht rather than a trawler because of the size of the engines (large). A friend of mine just bought a 60' Hatteras flush deck moteryacht and it is a really nice boat. It has a pilot house plus a flybridge. The only issue is line handling from the stern. if you're on a floating dock you will be about 7' up from the dock. Backing out of the slip will require someone on the stern with a two way radio.
The fish yacht style might fit you better. You can see the stern from the pilot house. The cockpit gives you more options for getting on and off the boat. (with the motoryacht stye you need steps on your dock; when travelling you can't take the steps with you and you need to hang a ladder off the side of the boat). If you're living aboard, ease of entry is really important. Good luck
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #25
City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Don't let a high deck or enclosed stern deter you unless you constantly cruise and short handed at that.....true about it being a PIA not being able to see the stern...but like many backing situations...even in the car you develop the ability to scan clues to allow safe maneuvering.

There are some great aluminum folding steps that many of these motor yachts carry along with them...the 75 year old couple 2 boats down that I run for them manage pretty well with the steps and all else concerned with a flush deck 55 Viking.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #26
City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
For ease of boarding, we carry a neat, sturdy two step folding dock ladder/step-set that fits flat on the forward wall in front stateroom’s closet... use it for our Tolly’s salon port-side-slider door while traveling and tying up at floating docks. Our steps at a previous primary berth can be seen in avatar... good storage underneath. We dock covered now!

If you want to – tain’t notten you can’t figure ta do!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote