Old 12-18-2015, 05:57 PM   #41

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbe View Post
hello once again are wooden hulls as bad some people write about seems like lot of nice ones out there from reading seems like you have to pull them once a year to do what erver to them but they are some nice ones out there also is the fiber over the wood hulls ok thanks sam
Oh man, you're in over your head, and now you just tied on a lead belt. A boat is a lot of work. A wooden boat is a lifestyle. Either you are very skilled at, say, replacing a few planks or a stem head, or half the decking, or you have a VERY large check book. It's a lifestyle, a calling, nay a religion. Dude, I've been following your quest, and I sympathize and respect. Please, please, please, take it from someone who's been messing with boats off an on for the better part of a half a century....

DO NOT GET A WOODIE. Get a plastic tub. At least it will stay afloat (most likely) while you learn the gig.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:04 PM   #42
Veteran Member

City: hughes springs
salt water mostly on the bay eventuly icw who knows maybe the islands one day

newbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:06 PM   #43
Veteran Member

ok thanks to post no 41 will do now im not into wooden boats i am not a carpenter
Old 12-18-2015, 06:15 PM   #44
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
newbe looking

My opinion is: your boat is your lifeline. Your life depends on it not just floating, but running to get back to the dock.

Since GKs are involved, then you have to ensure the dependability.

Boats are described many ways. The most prevalent saying is: a boat is just a hole in the water that you pour money in.

Getting a boat 'cheap' is probably not going to mean you get a good deal. Because dependability comes at a price (both financial and integrity).

If you were going to just use a boat on a lake or inland waters, then you can be 'relatively' cheap. But taking any boat out in the ocean means you have to have a 'better' quality boat. Both maintained as well as dependable.

From my experience, a 40' boat for 20k means it's a 'dockside palace' not meant to move far from a dock, and certainly not in any adverse condition.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:08 PM   #45
Veteran Member

ok going to look at a trawler a hampton will let everyone know all fiberglass hull thanks for yalls help sam
Old 12-18-2015, 11:27 PM   #46
Veteran Member

City: Toledo
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbe View Post
ok thanks to post no 41 will do now im not into wooden boats i am not a carpenter
OTOH I bet you could find a high school kid willing to do the 20 hours a week of routine maintenance/detailing on that wooden boat for cheap. (I know because that was one of my summer jobs). The bottom work though...gets very expensive quickly if you can't do it yourself.

Also, if you haven't seen the sticky yet - SURVEY SURVEY SURVEY
devorenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:33 AM   #47
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by clynn View Post
For your money, buy a houseboat off of craigslist. You can find them under your price range with plenty of room. I have a friend who is considering the same thing. She's single and likes boats, so she figures she could live on one. Doesn't want to go anywhere, so really it just needs to float. You can find those real cheap.
Hello sam...

As Clynn suggested, a houseboat may just fill the bill for what you wish. The advantages are multiple for houseboat living.

#1) They are generally one level so those knees of yours will be happy.
#2) Lots of windows mean you've got great views
#3) They are often quite similar to a studio or smaller apartment. The larger ones can be fancy with LOTS of room
#4) Houseboats can be had for a lot less than $20k if you're willing to put in the time to search for one.

In addition to the Boat Search thread found here on Trawler Forum, I wrote a series on this topic that you may find helpful. Start here:

Janice142 article Finding Your Boat (part 1)

And good luck newbe sam.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:00 AM   #48
FF
Guru

"is fiber over the wood hulls ok "

Last gasp for a dock queen.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:06 PM   #49
Veteran Member

ok folks been awhile looking hard at a bristol 42 trawler so any negatives about this boat build fiberglass with twin perkins thanks for yalls help newbie sam
Old 03-08-2016, 11:05 PM   #50
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Hey Henry, Love the Avatar,
Wish I'd thought of that !
Hope you and good lady keeping well,
Geoff.

Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote