newbe looking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You got some very mild hazing, but it was all good humored, and should not deter you from continuing to both look for your boat, and to ask questions.

Remind me not to tick this crowd off.......:eek:

as far as the wife i tell her i will be her captain and you will be my beautiful sea hag:):)

Oh, I get it now. This is a boat for just YOU to live on. Got it!:thumb:

For your money, buy a houseboat off of craigslist. You can find them under your price range with plenty of room. I have a friend who is considering the same thing. She's single and likes boats, so she figures she could live on one. Doesn't want to go anywhere, so really it just needs to float. You can find those real cheap.

Welcome and good luck with your search.

question

hello when a ad says boat has been refitted for x amount of dollars what does that excatly mean

hello when a ad says boat has been refitted for x amount of dollars what does that excatly mean

Exactly? It doesn't mean much. Could mean the seller was catching up on deferred maintenance. Could also be modernization. In some cases, an owner has turned his boat into a hobby shop. Some boats on YW with statements like that were the refits of 15 years or more ago. When you see statements like that, the seller is often trying to justify a higher price than market for his boat. IMHO, the ad should be ignored as far as the past refit expenditures go. What is more important is the current condition of the boat and what additional refits are required and how the boat is priced in terms of similar boats in similar conditions. A buyers broker should be able to tell you what similar boats sell for and your surveyor will also give you an estimate of value if you get that far.

The boat Newbie is looking for may be found on the rivers. Whether St. Louis, Louisville or Nashville. Or the large TX inland lakes. Something like a Trojan 44 gasser.

It means nothing. Maybe they spent money on quality refurbishments, maybe they went to Home Depot and got a pile of masonite and a can of paint, maybe they spent it on a certified inferior decorator to pick the aforementioned throw cushions.

Now if it says "Engine(s) rebuilt in 20XX with XXX hours since, detailed receipts available", that could mean the engine(s) may actually be in decent shape. Only a survey will tell though, because there are numerous stories where the certified mechanic used the wrong parts during said rebuild and at XXXX the thing blew up, again.

wooden hull

hello once again are wooden hulls as bad some people write about seems like lot of nice ones out there from reading seems like you have to pull them once a year to do what erver to them but they are some nice ones out there also is the fiber over the wood hulls ok thanks sam

@newbe. Where are you thinking about boating? What body of water? River, lake, sounds, inter coastal, oceans?

It makes a HUGE difference in what type of boat would work to satisfy you.

hello once again are wooden hulls as bad some people write about seems like lot of nice ones out there from reading seems like you have to pull them once a year to do what erver to them but they are some nice ones out there also is the fiber over the wood hulls ok thanks sam

Oh man, you're in over your head, and now you just tied on a lead belt. A boat is a lot of work. A wooden boat is a lifestyle. Either you are very skilled at, say, replacing a few planks or a stem head, or half the decking, or you have a VERY large check book. It's a lifestyle, a calling, nay a religion. Dude, I've been following your quest, and I sympathize and respect. Please, please, please, take it from someone who's been messing with boats off an on for the better part of a half a century....

DO NOT GET A WOODIE. Get a plastic tub. At least it will stay afloat (most likely) while you learn the gig.

salt water mostly on the bay eventuly icw who knows maybe the islands one day

ok thanks to post no 41 will do now im not into wooden boats i am not a carpenter

My opinion is: your boat is your lifeline. Your life depends on it not just floating, but running to get back to the dock.

Since GKs are involved, then you have to ensure the dependability.

Boats are described many ways. The most prevalent saying is: a boat is just a hole in the water that you pour money in.

Getting a boat 'cheap' is probably not going to mean you get a good deal. Because dependability comes at a price (both financial and integrity).

If you were going to just use a boat on a lake or inland waters, then you can be 'relatively' cheap. But taking any boat out in the ocean means you have to have a 'better' quality boat. Both maintained as well as dependable.

From my experience, a 40' boat for 20k means it's a 'dockside palace' not meant to move far from a dock, and certainly not in any adverse condition.

ok going to look at a trawler a hampton will let everyone know all fiberglass hull thanks for yalls help sam

ok thanks to post no 41 will do now im not into wooden boats i am not a carpenter

OTOH I bet you could find a high school kid willing to do the 20 hours a week of routine maintenance/detailing on that wooden boat for cheap. (I know because that was one of my summer jobs). The bottom work though...gets very expensive quickly if you can't do it yourself.

Also, if you haven't seen the sticky yet - SURVEY SURVEY SURVEY

For your money, buy a houseboat off of craigslist. You can find them under your price range with plenty of room. I have a friend who is considering the same thing. She's single and likes boats, so she figures she could live on one. Doesn't want to go anywhere, so really it just needs to float. You can find those real cheap.

Hello sam...

As Clynn suggested, a houseboat may just fill the bill for what you wish. The advantages are multiple for houseboat living.

#1) They are generally one level so those knees of yours will be happy.
#2) Lots of windows mean you've got great views
#3) They are often quite similar to a studio or smaller apartment. The larger ones can be fancy with LOTS of room
#4) Houseboats can be had for a lot less than $20k if you're willing to put in the time to search for one.

In addition to the Boat Search thread found here on Trawler Forum, I wrote a series on this topic that you may find helpful. Start here:

Janice142 article Finding Your Boat (part 1)

And good luck newbe sam.

"is fiber over the wood hulls ok "

Last gasp for a dock queen.

ok folks been awhile looking hard at a bristol 42 trawler so any negatives about this boat build fiberglass with twin perkins thanks for yalls help newbie sam

Hey Henry, Love the Avatar,
Wish I'd thought of that !
Hope you and good lady keeping well,
Geoff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom