New Year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
I can’t believe another year has slipped beneath the waves. I think back on the events of the past year and realize how much boating has become such an integral part of my life. I moved on to the boat a year ago this week. It has been rewarding – challenging – fun (sometimes not so much) – and (fill in the blank).
I made the trip down to Key West from South Carolina which really whetted my appetite for long distance cruising. I flew to San Francisco (still one of the coolest cities on the planet) to watch the America’s Cup, something I’ve always wanted to do. I did many day/overnight trips locally with friends and family.

I really enjoy getting up in the morning and sitting on the sundeck (the “back porch”). The ICW is pretty much my back yard and there’s always something going on. Even during the winter months, there are almost always boats in transit.

Quite often these boats tie up at our marina for the night or for a couple of days. I always try to lend a hand docking with these folks because I know how helpful it is when I dock.

It’s pretty easy to strike up a conversation with these folks, after all, who doesn’t like to talk about their boat? Or their destination?

I have found these folks to be a rich source of cruising info, almost as much as here on the forum. Generally, a real nice bunch of people. The folks I’ve met while I’ve been cruising have also been a bonus (well, most of them anyway). I met Michael (motion30) on “Bay Shack” in Marathon and again in Key West. Great guy. Hope to see him on my next trip south.

So, as much as I love (?) my boat, it’s the people that I’ve met that has proven to be the most rewarding aspect of this lifestyle.

I’m really looking forward to the coming year on the water. Lots of planning to do. Lots of work too. I can’t wait for spring also.

I was wondering if the good folks here on TF are starting to make their boating plans for the upcoming year. Any long distant trips or family outings? Any major new “additions” to the boat?

I wish everyone a Happy, Healthy, and Prosperous New Year. KJ

PS New Year = New Avatar = New pic of your boat

1429-albums131-picture956.jpg

From the Eastern side of Canada.. HAPPY NEW YEAR from Peg and I

Attachments

• IMG_0231.JPG
    IMG_0231.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 93
Happy New Year too all! Changing my avatar now.

Happy New Year!!!
:)

Happy new year all.

Good idea about the avatar change KJ, (except for RTF, changing that avatar could be considered an act of treason IMO ) besides I'm sure Eric H is tired of looking at my feet on the rail by now. :)

Happy New Year! Will definitely be changing my avatar in the next couple of weeks. As for cruising, will be taking my new boat from Stuart FL to Fort Myers in January, doing some shake down cruises in SW FL till the end of March, and then up the ICW to Chesapeake bay in April. Boat goes into the yard for a repower and paint job in May and June. Will do some cruising in the Chesapeake July through September, then leave in October to head back to Fort Myers. Oh and I still need to run my charter boat June through September. Guess I'd better buy 2 pair of boat shoes for this year. :blush:

Ted

Happy new year to all.

Happy new year to all

Attachments

• image-675219344.jpg
    image-675219344.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 112
Happy New Year everyone.
May 2014 be filled with peace, happiness, joy, health and prosperity.

I'll change my avatar later. Going top go play with the grandkid:dance:

Boating plans? Buy a boat!!:D

Happy New Year everybody. 2014 is definitely going to be a better year for boating for us. in 2012 we put 165 hours on the clocks. 2013 was just a little over a hundred. This year I'm aiming for 150+ and it's going to include another trip downriver to Portland, OR to have the boat hauled and some work done.

Happy new year all.

Good idea about the avatar change KJ, (except for RTF, changing that avatar could be considered an act of treason IMO )

We all know Rufus is much too humble to submit a new avatar --- so I will respectfully post one for him.

1429-albums194-picture958.jpg

May this year suck less than the last... oh... and NEW AVATAR!

I was kind of liking Gilligan. People took me seriously.

I was kind of liking Gilligan. People took me seriously.

No they didn't, and this one doesn't count either N/S, try again, you've already used this one... :socool:
Now guess I'll have to find another one as well...dammit...lessee...

Last edited:
No they didn't, and this one doesn't count either N/S, try again, you've already used this one... :socool:
Now guess I'll have to find another one as well...dammit...lessee...

Better?

New years morning.

Homeward bound with a tender head and stout boat(plus a couple of Berocca's)

Attachments

• P1010038.jpg
    P1010038.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 66

Not a lot Spy...surely you have a goodie of your boat. I found one taken New Year's Eve at Rivergate Marina on our way up the river for the Brisbane. N/Y fireworks. I'll attach the odd interesting pic taken on the occasion, as it was a very enjoyable trip. Also very glad we did come home early though, it was 38 here yesterday, and heading for a record 43C here today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 73
Hang on...took a brief video, let's see if that will work..? Haven't done video on here before.
Oops, sorry, it took so long to load I thought it had ceased or something, so ended up duplicating. For those interested, the bridge in the foreground covered with people is a pedestrian only bridge called the Goodwill Bridge. Immediately behind us was the Captain Cook Bridge, the main arterial bridge into the Riverside Expressway of Brisbane. The fireworks are being let off mainly from barges anchored out from what is called Southbank, which for anyone who might have attended, was the amazing site for the 1988 Expo.

Oh man, this is frustrating. It loaded the video ok from my iPad, but would not play it - played ok on Macbook, but after I edited it with more info - the videos have gone again, sorry. Will transfer from my iPad again which is what I took them on. I'll do just one this time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom