Old 07-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #41
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
How did the windlass contribute to the navigation issue?

FWIW, we've been pleased with our Maxwell RC-10-10. Helm and pulpit controls. Rode counter. All chain, all rope, or rope chain works on the same gypsy. They recommend 8-plait rope, so that's what we use after the chain portion; seems to drop, retrieve, and fall into the rope locker nicely. They make a version with an additional capstan, too, and I would have preferred that... but don't have enough clearance for that under the hatch where our windlass lives.

Presumably the horizontal version would be equally good.

Speaking of good... In our owners club forum, usually the single brand of windlass that causes the most grief is Good. Broken parts, failure to feed, failure to retrieve, failure to fall, whatever... I don't have any direct experience with 'em, and I can't tell whether there are maybe contributory operator issues or not, but I've read lots of complaints about 'em.

-Chris
When I worked for a marine electronics firm....about half of the customers we had echoed this...the other half said they were the greatest windlass they ever had.

I know the support is supposed to be very good...and the smaller models seem perfect for the fishing crowd....

I had a lot of experience with Maxwells and Lewmars when I worked at a Sea Ray dealership and the rope/chain gypsies were just so finicky I promised myself to go all chain on my next boat....yet I do see some of the plusses of a combo rode...yet an all chain rode with multiple length snubbers and other shock absorbing means seems still the most simplistic for shallow water anchoring cruisers.

If I regularly anchored in anything over 50 feet...I'd certainly be rethinking my position.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:04 AM   #42
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

I had a lot of experience with Maxwells and Lewmars when I worked at a Sea Ray dealership and the rope/chain gypsies were just so finicky I promised myself to go all chain on my next boat....yet I do see some of the plusses of a combo rode...yet an all chain rode with multiple length snubbers and other shock absorbing means seems still the most simplistic for shallow water anchoring cruisers.

The all-chain rode worked well for us on the just-previous boat, but the mud here is such a pain to clean out of the links.... so our switch to combo was sort of a self-defense mechanism. Now it only takes me 20 minutes or so to bring the thing back aboard. Other wise, I'd probably go back to all chain.

We also had all-chain on the previous-previous boat for a while... but in addition to Chesapeake mud, I was the windlass... we had no washdown... and bringing up all that black mud by hand was even messier.

Anyway, the RC 10-10 chainwheel seems to work very well with our rode -- 5/16" chain and 5/8" 8-plait rope in our case. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the complaints about various windlasses, no matter what brand or model, are about the gypsy/capstan/whatever and how (if) it works (or not) with rope. Possibly complicated by the user, perhaps mismatching rope style (3-strand, double braid, 8-plait) with whatever the windlass manufacturer recommends for their various models.

-Chris

Old 07-08-2014, 08:15 AM   #43
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
The all-chain rode worked well for us on the just-previous boat, but the mud here is such a pain to clean out of the links.... so our switch to combo was sort of a self-defense mechanism. Now it only takes me 20 minutes or so to bring the thing back aboard. Other wise, I'd probably go back to all chain.

We also had all-chain on the previous-previous boat for a while... but in addition to Chesapeake mud, I was the windlass... we had no washdown... and bringing up all that black mud by hand was even messier.

Anyway, the RC 10-10 chainwheel seems to work very well with our rode -- 5/16" chain and 5/8" 8-plait rope in our case. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the complaints about various windlasses, no matter what brand or model, are about the gypsy/capstan/whatever and how (if) it works (or not) with rope. Possibly complicated by the user, perhaps mismatching rope style (3-strand, double braid, 8-plait) with whatever the windlass manufacturer recommends for their various models.

-Chris
Yep ...it was almost always the line that was the issue...nice winches...but line issues.

I find with towing...often when a line is strtched...it takes on a slightly different shape.

Can't say that the line is damaged strength wise...but definitely looks enough different that I could see that it may not engage a dual line/chain gypsy. I would think that quality line, design in terms of how it's wound and sheer size (the ability of it to modify it's shape to engage gypsy) would definitely determine ease and maybe life of line used in the application.

Also, so many more of these winches have been sold over the last couple decades, I'm sure the manufactures have made incremental increases in performance of them.

As I said I'm interested for when mine dies...as I'm not a die hard for either camp of rode...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #44
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
My experience with Good started with my Mainship, It was equipped with an all rope windlass. They gave me a good trade in value on this model. They still make the model that came as a factory option on my 1993 Mainship. I wanted better holding so I decided to go with their combination rope/ chain windlass and a 55# anchor. I had them custom make me the rope/ chain rode. I never had a problem with the transition slipping or not properly retrieving the anchor/ rode.
If or when I need to replace the current windlass on my Gulfstar they would be the 1st company I would call for advice and a quote.
I'm a loyal fan and I have no interest in the Good Windlass company.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #45
Veteran Member

City: Fairview, TX
Vessel Name: Gray Eagle
Vessel Model: 1985 35" CHB
Recommendation for good rope/chain windlass.
jnvoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:44 PM   #46
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Yep ...it was almost always the line that was the issue...nice winches...but line issues.
No gypsy-equipped winch will perform well if the chain and line are not sized properly for the gypsy. That should be the first order of business when considering winch and rode changes.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote