Old 07-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #21
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
I have a LewmarV-700. This is a not-too-expensive option. When bought ($869 retail, but on Defender's $704 delivered)

When it came down to the final selection there were two in the running. I called a windlass repair shop and asked the professional which one he wanted to rebuild. Then I didn't say a word.

He rambled on but in the final analysis, did say the type of guts in the Lewmar was superior to the other option.

If money were no object, an Ideal would be ideal.
If cash is short, I'd opt to rebuild what you have, but before tackling that job I'd ask a professional if the windlass is a candidate for refurbishing. Some stuff isn't worth fixing.

Good luck.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:42 PM   #22
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Before you spend a thousand dollars or more on a replacement windlass, I suggest making sure you don't just have a wiring problem or a defective circuit breaker.

"Throwing parts" at a problem is not the most efficient or cost effective means of solving the problem.

If it's not an electrical problem, having the windlass rebuilt (if possible) is a good choice because you won't have to rewire or move any holes.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:49 PM   #23

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
Our boat has a Lofrans Tigres, it has to be at least 20 years old (but propably since 1985) and if it died I would buy another one in a heartbeat.......

Still avaiable today... Horizontal Windlasses - Tigres

I have a Lofrans Tigres. Capstain on the left and gypsy on the right. I also have a rhode that is half chain and half rope. I anchored last night and this morning pulling anchor I noticed that the gypsy lines up perfectly with the chain and no problem in and out. I tried to use the capstain at first on the rope portion and the rope would ride up on the ratchet and body of the winlass. I don't mean to hijack this thread but how do you use the gypsy when it is not lined up with the incoming rhode. I'm thinking to sell my tigres and get something verticle so I can use both the capstain and the gypsy
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #24
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I have to go with Ron on this one. If your old windlass gave you good service and you're not moving up a lot in anchor weight, try to rebuild or get a copy. I changed-out my old Simpson-Lawrence for an identical Lewmar that must have been badge engineering only, save the SS case. It pulls my 45 lb. Bruce and all chain easy enough. Here they are side by side......even the mounting bolts were identical. I even kept the old helm switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	side by side.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	31121  

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:10 PM   #25
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
"If you want the best, then go from "Good" to "Ideal". Pricey, made in the USA and they support everything they have made in the last 80 years. Just about any configuration you can think of."

+1

www.idealwindlass.com
+1 for Ideal here too. Have a horizontal model with one bronze capstan and one composite rope/chain capstan. Superb, powerful unit.
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:56 PM   #26
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Good has been in business since 1920. They are also a US manufacture. They stand behind their products 100%.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:26 PM   #27
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by obthomas View Post
I have a Lofrans Tigres. Capstain on the left and gypsy on the right. I also have a rhode that is half chain and half rope. I anchored last night and this morning pulling anchor I noticed that the gypsy lines up perfectly with the chain and no problem in and out. I tried to use the capstain at first on the rope portion and the rope would ride up on the ratchet and body of the winlass. I don't mean to hijack this thread but how do you use the gypsy when it is not lined up with the incoming rhode. I'm thinking to sell my tigres and get something verticle so I can use both the capstain and the gypsy
That's why we have all chain. Plus the headache of switching over when the rode suddenly becomes chain.

And why on our previous vessel we went with the Maxwell HRC-10-8 which handles chain and rode.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:10 AM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
"If you want the best, then go from "Good" to "Ideal". Pricey, made in the USA and they support everything they have made in the last 80 years. Just about any configuration you can think of."

+1

www.idealwindlass.com
+2
Old 07-07-2014, 07:56 AM   #29
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnvoss View Post

My original windless continues to throw a breaker as well as stopping and difficult to make work. Just not dependable. Nearly hit shore trying to leave cove yesterday.

Any suggestions for the new windless. I have a 1984 35' CHB and want to replace the all chain but want dependable windless and remote. Looking for suggestions and insight. Thanks. Presently have a horizontal and plan to stay with horizontal.
How did the windlass contribute to the navigation issue?

FWIW, we've been pleased with our Maxwell RC-10-10. Helm and pulpit controls. Rode counter. All chain, all rope, or rope chain works on the same gypsy. They recommend 8-plait rope, so that's what we use after the chain portion; seems to drop, retrieve, and fall into the rope locker nicely. They make a version with an additional capstan, too, and I would have preferred that... but don't have enough clearance for that under the hatch where our windlass lives.

Presumably the horizontal version would be equally good.

Speaking of good... In our owners club forum, usually the single brand of windlass that causes the most grief is Good. Broken parts, failure to feed, failure to retrieve, failure to fall, whatever... I don't have any direct experience with 'em, and I can't tell whether there are maybe contributory operator issues or not, but I've read lots of complaints about 'em.

-Chris
Old 07-07-2014, 08:09 AM   #30
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Speaking of good... In our owners club forum, usually the single brand of windlass that causes the most grief is Good. Broken parts, failure to feed, failure to retrieve, failure to fall, whatever... I don't have any direct experience with 'em, and I can't tell whether there are maybe contributory operator issues or not, but I've read lots of complaints about 'em.
Really? While I have never owned one, I have heard nothing but great things about them on various forums and directly from owners. Including before, during and after the sale service. I'm sure there is a reason why an "equivalent" Ideal goes for much more money, but still...
Perhaps it is like what I call the Vacuflush, or Sea Ray phenomenon
, you hear complaints because there are a lot of them out there.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #31
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
I'll bet that has a lot to do with it, and operator issues. My little problem I mentioned before with the bent tension finger pivot pin for example - I don't understand how that even happens, unless somebody stepped on it full weight when it was extended outside the housing, or whacked it with a hammer, or sucked the anchor itself past the roller and maybe jammed the swivel into the gypsy. Just a jammed chain wouldn't have done that.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:27 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Really? While I have never owned one, I have heard nothing but great things about them on various forums and directly from owners. Including before, during and after the sale service. I'm sure there is a reason why an "equivalent" Ideal goes for much more money, but still...
Perhaps it is like what I call the Vacuflush, or Sea Ray phenomenon
, you hear complaints because there are a lot of them out there.

Yeah, it's actually kind of surprising -- to me, anyway. So much so that I was equally surprised to see recommendations here.

OTOH, I usually don't have insight into actual usage (perhaps owners don't secure their rode, relying only on the windlass?), actual ode construction (versus Good recommendations), service and maintenance regimes, etc.

Just seems that when one of the owners reports having windlass issues, about 90% of the time (seat of the pants estimate) it was a Good product.

-Chris
Old 07-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #33
Guru

Which owners group is having a problem with the GOOD series of windlass? I have nothing but good experiences with the products. Everyone who has ever purchased one has thanked me for the recommendation.
Quite frankly I was surprised to read this about GOOD.
I'm not saying they are the best they offer a good value for the cost and they were one of the most reliable windlass units I have ever used. My last unit was purchased in late 2005 the new owner even commented on how well it worked.
I'd like to see the actual complaints perhaps they are operator errors?
Bill
Old 07-07-2014, 08:57 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Before you spend a thousand dollars or more on a replacement windlass, I suggest making sure you don't just have a wiring problem or a defective circuit breaker.

"Throwing parts" at a problem is not the most efficient or cost effective means of solving the problem.

If it's not an electrical problem, having the windlass rebuilt (if possible) is a good choice because you won't have to rewire or move any holes.
Ron, I was thinking the same about a wiring or breaker issue. I'd fully investigate the entire return trip of the DC wiring and make sure the wire is properly and check the breaker it may have seen better days.
As a side mote I have seen many boats original windlass wiring undersized. This is one area where trying to stay close to the "hairy edge" is not a good idea.
Bill
Old 07-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #35

City: North Kingstown, RI
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 III
I just wired up the Lewmar 1000 that the PO mounted on the boat before he sold it to me. Works great for my needs. A friend of mine had an Ideal on his 1980 42' Uniflite. They are located about 5 minutes from my house. They gave him excellent service and still service every windlass they ever made. No, not excellent service, AWESOME service! When they asked him when he needed the motor rebuilt, he said ASAP, they said, "Go get a a cup of coffee and it will be ready when you get back" Can't beat that!
He essentially has a brand new windlass now.
slowandsteady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #36
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnvoss View Post
My original windless continues to throw a breaker as well as stopping and difficult to make work. Just not dependable. Nearly hit shore trying to leave cove yesterday. Had it! Going to replace windless, rusty chain and anchor. Any suggestions for the new windless. I have a 1984 35' CHB and want to replace the all chain but want dependable windless and remote. Looking for suggestions and insight. Thanks. Presently have a horizontal and plan to stay with horizontal.
Sounds more electrical than mechanical. Some troubleshooting is in order first.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
Which owners group is having a problem with the GOOD series of windlass? I have nothing but good experiences with the products. Everyone who has ever purchased one has thanked me for the recommendation.
Quite frankly I was surprised to read this about GOOD.
I'm not saying they are the best they offer a good value for the cost and they were one of the most reliable windlass units I have ever used. My last unit was purchased in late 2005 the new owner even commented on how well it worked.
I'd like to see the actual complaints perhaps they are operator errors?
Bill

Silverton, but I don't see much that indicates it has anything to do with the brand of boat the windlass is installed on.

And I mentioned, this is just my general impression from 9 years of reading there. Anecdotal at best, and yes, could be operator error (especially in the maintenance arena, maybe), at least sometimes. I think the boats themselves are general older, '80s maybe, but I dunno if that means these would have bee factory-installed options, dealer-installed options, or completely aftermarket.... although I think Silverton (Luhrs, Mainship, Hunter, etc.) might have begun installing Lewmar or some such sometime in the '90s.

You are welcome to join and read all the windlass threads

-Chris
Old 07-07-2014, 03:56 PM   #38
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I scoop up all of the Ideal windlasses I find. I have 4, 12 volt vertical units in my shop now and 1 120volt 3/4 hp fwd/rev unit. And, a large 2 hp 120v unit. Some have gypsys, some just drums. The big unit has both. I really like Ideal windlasses but I also have a Lewmar 2200 (???) that I have been kicking around for several years. I would shop around on ebay and CraigsList befor buying a new Ideal, then just rebuild it. I dont care much for the cheap stuff when it comes to anchoring equipment, or fancy for that matter. Generally, on a trawler type boat over 40 feet, a decent new windlass will be around $3000 from any of the better companies.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:41 PM   #39
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I was wrong, it is a Maxwell windlass that has been moved to every corner of the shop. I was also wrong on new pricing. A new Ideal V5C in 120 volt reversing is $8800. The smaller 12v units are around $4000. I didnt pay anywhere near those prices, IIRC on the v5c, the shipping was about as much as I paid for the windlass on ebay. After looking on ebay just now, even rusty old Ideal Windlasses are asking big money.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:18 PM   #40
Guru

Woof!

Our Vetus-Maxwell RC 10-10 was $1800 in 2007.

Plus extras for remote foot switches, rode counter, etc., and I had them make up the new rode, too.

-Chris