Old 04-23-2018, 10:35 PM   #1
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
New website and videos up and running

Just to re-introduce ourselves, we are Russ and Patsy Clifton, and we are living the trawler liveaboard lifestyle in the Pacific Northwest. For the past 50+ years we have cruised the San Juan Islands, British Columbia, and SE Alaska.
We have worked our way up from small runabouts to a 49' Defever that is named SeaFever.

This year we are headed to the north coast of British Columbia, sometimes referred to as the Great Bear Rain Forest. We will be in search of great scenery, great fishing, crabbing, shrimping, and wildlife viewing.

New this year I am trying to learn how to edit videos, and it has been a huge challenge for someone who grew before calculators were even invented! But I have managed to put together three so far that are now on YouTube. If you are interested the link to the channel is: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrj...icHG2ghhgQjrvw

We have also set up a website where you can find our blog. So far there are four posts on it. The link to it is: https://www.liveaboardtrawleradventures.com/ You can also access the videos from here.

If you think you might find this interesting and want to follow along, please subscribe. We would be happy to have you.

We are currently in the San Juan Islands waiting for the shrimp season to open on May 5th. We will be leaving for BC about a week after that.

Thanks, Russ
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:43 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Russ Thanks so much for sharing really looking forward to following
Old 04-23-2018, 10:46 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
The site looks good. Have a great time during your trip. We will be following along...thanks for sharing.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:51 PM   #4
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Have you been in Gardner Canal off Douglas Channel yet? Pretty nice in there.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:04 AM   #5
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Irene: I look for you guys every time I see a Nordhaven. Hope you are enjoying your new boat.

MurryM: I have a few places earmarked in that area including Loretta Island Anchorage, Eagle Bay, Owyacumish Bay, and KIltuish Inlet. Just some places I found in the Douglas guide and Active Captain. Do you have some better suggestions?
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:17 AM   #6
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Clifton View Post
Just to re-introduce ourselves, we are Russ and Patsy Clifton, and we are living the trawler liveaboard lifestyle in the Pacific Northwest. For the past 50+ years we have cruised the San Juan Islands, British Columbia, and SE Alaska.
We have worked our way up from small runabouts to a 49' Defever that is named SeaFever.

This year we are headed to the north coast of British Columbia, sometimes referred to as the Great Bear Rain Forest. We will be in search of great scenery, great fishing, crabbing, shrimping, and wildlife viewing.

New this year I am trying to learn how to edit videos, and it has been a huge challenge for someone who grew before calculators were even invented! But I have managed to put together three so far that are now on YouTube. If you are interested the link to the channel is: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrj...icHG2ghhgQjrvw

We have also set up a website where you can find our blog. So far there are four posts on it. The link to it is: https://www.liveaboardtrawleradventures.com/ You can also access the videos from here.

If you think you might find this interesting and want to follow along, please subscribe. We would be happy to have you.

We are currently in the San Juan Islands waiting for the shrimp season to open on May 5th. We will be leaving for BC about a week after that.

Thanks, Russ
Russ, took a quick look at your blog. Will be following along. Have you joined the DeFever Cruisers Facebook group - we all share blog entries over there?

Some thoughts. Since you have bought your own domain and contracted with a hosting company, if you haven't done so, consider installing WordPress (free) and use that to develop your full web site. The additional cost over and above the costs you already have, is zero. And the ability to manage it, no matter where you are in the world is great. There are plenty of themes to hose from meaning you ave full web site up in hours.

And you will have a lot more fun with it.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:53 AM   #7
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Cool. Thanks for sharing. ASD is taking the summer off with regards to travelling north. We will follow.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:21 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Great site, Russ. I'll enjoy following your progress and living the PNW/Canada/Alaska vicariously through your posts and videos while I stay warm and dry here in NorCal.

Cheers!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Lincoln
Vessel Name: Still the One
Vessel Model: Hatteras 42 LRC
Good to see you on again, I followed your prior voyage, and refit via binge watching. Understand your video dilemma, I am also an analog man being dragged into the digital future, and with medicine it's a 90 degree learning curve. I hope to begin my voyages in 5 years, in the mean time I have subscribed and will follow yours with enjoyment...Wildbill
Wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:40 PM   #10
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Clifton View Post
Irene: I look for you guys every time I see a Nordhaven. Hope you are enjoying your new boat.

MurryM: I have a few places earmarked in that area including Loretta Island Anchorage, Eagle Bay, Owyacumish Bay, and KIltuish Inlet. Just some places I found in the Douglas guide and Active Captain. Do you have some better suggestions?
You have a fine eye...Owyacumish (Brim River) is my favourite anchorage

Be sure to stop at the hot springs at Europa Point on the way into Gardner Canal. It’s my favourite hot spring in the area...Bishop Bay is way too popular and Weewanie isn’t as aesthetically pleasing. Europa Point also has a mooring buoy.

I haven’t been into Foch Lagoon yet, but I hear it’s world class. We did anchor outside the lagoon once and watched the standing wave rapids which form from the 8 foot height difference

Sue Channel is nice in a quiet, away from it all kind of way, but the further you go into Gardner Canal the bigger the mountains get and the water turns turquoise like a glacial fed alpine lake.

Eagle Bay is close to Kitimat, so it can get crowded...which is to say there may be five boats anchored. Crowded, north coast style

Clio Bay is tempting as it’s closer to Kitimat, but has been used for log booms for decades so may have coils of steel cables on the bottom.

There is a trail along the shoreline leading south from Kitimat Village which starts at the marina parking lot. There’s a totem pole hidden in the forest at the start of the trail, and if you continue on for another 20 minutes or so you may find the old graveyard scattered amongst the trees.

If conditions permit, anchoring below Jesse Falls for an hour or so is awesome.

If you do come to Kitimat, give me a shout via a PM here. MK Bay marina is about 5km out of town, so we could give you a ride into town if I’m not working.

Highly recommend going through Verney Passage at least once as you enter or leave Douglas Channel.

One last tip...Douglas Channel can get really messy with rebound waves off steep shores.