Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2015, 08:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: 2004 Grand Alaskan 65
New used boat choice....help from the captains much appreciated...Fleming or Alaskan?

Folks, a ton of thanks from my last post on which used trawler to consider and wanted to get the opines of captains much more knowledgeable than myself. I have narrowed my used boat choices to this...a 2001 Fleming 55, and a 1999 64' Alaskan Pilothouse. Price wise, the Alaskan is less by roughly 75k with the Deere's on the Alaskan and the F's Cat 3208, both very low hours.
My dilemma is this...I know Fleming is probably one of the best builders, period. But the new Alaskan's and 1999 made by Alaska Marine, not the same builder, correct? Or is it?
I am trying to find out if the Alaska Marine of 1999 is on par with the Fleming of 2001? Can't find out much info, but damn if the 2 boats don't look identical, so must be the same designer of both....Drake or DeFever or Fleming?
So please guys/gals, any help or suggestion or personal experience is much appreciated. Boat will be used in NW with minimal Blue water but may attempt a Seattle to Mexico later on....no kids, one admiral and mostly sailing experience...thanks in advance for any advice...
Safe travels to all...Happy Memorial day weekend to all
Capn James Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:41 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
No offense but if either one of these boats was right for you, you wouldn't have started this thread. When the boat picks the boater there's no mistaking it. If you do not clearly love one of these boats forget them both and keep looking until the right boat finds you is my best advice.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: 2004 Grand Alaskan 65
CP...thanks for the advice. However, the boats look identical hence I have definitely "found" my look I like, but there are 2 different yards making these boats....so therefore am trying to research the quality of the Alaskan as I have not found much on the internet about the yard, build quality, etc....hence asking the group.
Capn James Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:13 PM   #4
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Agreed but think you'll find the prevailing wisdom with 15 year old boats is more a matter of previous owner care and preventive maintenance than provenance. All things being equal, and it seldom if ever is with boats, the Fleming has the more prestigious marquee.

Which boat speaks to you? Not anyone else, you alone.

You could buy 100 of my boats for the cost of what you're looking at but it matters not. My boat screams out for me as I walk away from it and I hate to walk away. When the wife and I sat in the cockpit as the motor rumbled to life we knew the boat was ours. The price, resale and every other reasonable metric mattered not as the boat chose us.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:37 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Agreed but think you'll find the prevailing wisdom with 15 year old boats is more a matter of previous owner care and preventive maintenance than provenance. All things being equal, and it seldom if ever is with boats, the Fleming has the more prestigious marquee.

Which boat speaks to you? Not anyone else, you alone.

You could buy 100 of my boats for the cost of what you're looking at but it matters not. My boat screams out for me as I walk away from it and I hate to walk away. When the wife and I sat in the cockpit as the motor rumbled to life we knew the boat was ours. The price, resale and every other reasonable metric mattered not as the boat chose us.
So true, so absolutely true…

But I'd grab the Fleming…seeing you asked...
Old 05-23-2015, 05:21 AM   #6

City: Green Cove Springs, Florida
Flemings are awesome but one thing that can be a showstopper are 15 year old teak decks. I have looked at Flemings with fuel tank corrosion problems and soft decks from worn leaking teak. I looked at a 64' Alaskan that was listed for sale and see it does not have teak decks. If it never had them then all things equal I think it might be a better choice. You may avoid prior and upcoming maintenance issues. If you want teak that is another story...
bglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:10 AM   #7

City: Eugene, Oregon
Vessel Name: Have Patience
Vessel Model: Navigator 56 Classic
I would be very careful with that Alaskan. I have studied it carefully. I've been on it about 20 times. Original equipment included air driven stabilizers. Most recent owners removed the compressors from the John Deere's years ago. Claimed they slowed the boat drawing HP. Never out of San Juans so didn't need stabilizers. Well they lost the compressors. Couldn't sell without functional stabilizers so went to manufacturer and bought new stand alone 120volt electric motor driven compressor. That was a new nightmare because genset would not tolerate load on startup. Not sure how that was resolved. Last time I checked new controllers were on the way. Lost touch at that point. I do know the company reps were here working on problem. Took several months to get sorted out. I would want rock solid info on those stabilizers and genset. If you PM me I will let you know what else I know about that boat.
CaptTPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 12:19 AM   #8
Guru

City: West coast
When did Fleming switch from screwed to glued teak decks?
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 12:27 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Tough question. I have never been on an Alaskan but have been on Flemings. Love the Fleming, but the engine room is tight due to the low lines and CG. But I also love Deere engines over 3208s. I would call Fleming with the hull number since Fleming made running changes not necessarily at model years and ask about the teak decks. When they decided to make a change they did it then and not necessarily the next model year. Good luck.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 04:51 PM   #10
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
James,
I am not an expert on either of these two boats, but know of them. I personally would avoid screwed down teak decks at all costs. Thousands of screws making thousands of potential leak locations. They will eventually leak if not actively maintained, leading to lots of potential cost and/or damage. The other option with these decks is to actively rebed them regularly, new caulking, etc. Lots of work or money if paying to have it done.
I also agree with Dave and favour the Deere's over the Cats. Check with Fleming regarding those decks, if glued down and not screwed, then they should be OK, but will occasionally need recaulked.
Good luck with the boat hunting.
Old 08-23-2021, 05:39 PM   #11

City: Lottsburg, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan
I feel a little silly asking what I think is the obvious question. As this topic originated 6 years ago, is it reasonable to think Capn James has made a decision? And if so, what did he do?
bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 05:46 PM   #12
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Good point!! Egg on face. That's what I get for not looking at dates. Seems someone (bowball) resurrected a 6 year old thread??? I wonder why?
If truly interested, why not start a new thread and ask the new question???
Oh well, my bad
Thanks for noticing bnoft.
Old 08-23-2021, 06:30 PM   #13
Guru

City: US PNW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnoft View Post
As this topic originated 6 years ago, is it reasonable to think Capn James has made a decision? And if so, what did he do?
Luckily in this case we can assuage our curiosity by looking at his profile details (2004 Grand Alaskan 65). I always like to see how it turned out
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 12:04 AM   #14
Guru

City: West coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehoser75 View Post
Good point!! Egg on face. That's what I get for not looking at dates. Seems someone (bowball) resurrected a 6 year old thread??? I wonder why?
If truly interested, why not start a new thread and ask the new question???
Oh well, my bad
Thanks for noticing bnoft.
I was just curious about a point raised in the old thread. Knowledge doesn’t really get dated!
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote