New (to us) Boat. and family tragedy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
ADAGIO
Vessel Make
CHB Present 42 Sundeck
We are finally boat owners once again. 1988 CHB 42' Sundeck - original papers call it a 'Motor Yacht', but it has two Lehman 135's, cruises at 8 knots, and has a keel deeper than the props, so to me it's a trawler through and through:thumb: Yep, bought this a few days before leaving on a hiking trip where we completed the last 135 miles of the John Muir Trail in the Sierra Nevada Mtns.
Yes indeed, thought we were on top of everything. A few days after I returned home my 28 yr old son was severely injured in a 4-wheeler accident. Mild/moderate traumatic brain injury, 7 broken ribs, skull fractures and bruised lungs. Seven days and counting in NeuroICU - have him sedated on breathing tube til his ribs and lungs can heal a bit. He was married two
months ago. He can move arms and legs (left side is slow), and communicates with hands when they let up a bit on the sedatives.
Amazing how fast your world can come crashing down. Right now I don't give a damn about the boat.

Sorry to hear of your family tragedy. Obviously you need to focus on your son and his family. It's about priorities. This unfortunately will be a slow recovery. As things go up and down, there will be times when you will need to focus on something else to clear your mind for a while. Hopefully, spending some time on your boat will give you some time to focus on something else.

Ted

Sad Sad news, sincere wishes for a complete and speedy recovery for your son.

Speaking from experiencing having broken ribs and C7, you son will recover and have a new outlook on life. Stay strong and good luck to your son and your family.

Wishing a speedy recovery!

Best wishes for a recovery and more boating with your son.
There is a lesson to take from this, if this is a 4 wheel bike accident. They can roll over on slopes,often lack roll bar protection,seat belts, etc. There is an inquiry here and mfrs are not keen to improve things. Be careful with them.

Thanks so much for the comments guys. He's the type of young man that is careful and always wears helmets - but he had stopped to talk with his wife, taking helmet off, and then decided on one more run around the lake, forgetting his helmet :banghead:.
We just returned from 5am ICU visit (fortunate to live five blocks from MS's only Level 1 Trauma Center) - good report in that he is actively moving that left side now - they said brain swelling has gone down and that is the reason. Breathing tube is coming out today, as he is breathing on his own and oxygen sat is running 99%. Prayers are welcome.
Can't wait to get him on the boat - he's a whiz with diesel engines.

Good to hear your son is improving. Meanwhile, the boat ain't going anywhere.

Sad news, to be sure. The progress may be slow but it sounds hopeful. Stay strong for your son. The boat will still be there when you need to get away.

I hope your son makes a full recovery. Maybe a TFer in your area can keep an eye on your boat so that you can attend to him.

Wow, what a roller coaster of emotions you must be going through...

Two years ago I was in an ATV accident - seemed serious enough at the time, but nothing like what happened to your son. I took a turn too fast and rolled; the ATV was an older single seat Odyssey, no harness, I wasn't wearing a helmet... as it was rolling I was thinking, I need to stay inside the roll cage. So I grabbed onto the cage and held as tight as I could. In the process I "degloved" my right hand. A lot of blood and a couple months of painful physical therapy later, I was good to go.

It was an eye opener for me. I had my kids with me at the time (11 and 7 yrs old then), we were on vacation (without the wife). I didn't have any plans for that kind of contingency. Fortunately, since we were there for a family reunion, I was able to send them home with family members & I had to take a flight home as I couldnt drive.

I can't imagine what you must be going through... at least after my crash, I was able to walk out of it. I've been a lot safer and more responsible since then (or at least I try!). I hope your son pulls through OK and comes out of it with a good story to tell and possibly, a new outlook on life.

Just saw this....prayers are incoming, FC!

Hope this is the start of your son's turning the corner to a complete recovery. Times like this really refocus your mind on the things that really matter.

God's blessings to you and yours.

PS. Nice boat!

I'm so sorry your family is going through this; life really can change in a heartbeat. Sending up many prayers for a thorough recovery, and for many happy years of boating together, healthy and whole.

Very happy your son's recovery is going in the right direction, prayers out to your son and family, all the best in a very speedy recovery.

Back
Top Bottom