Old 02-07-2015, 01:52 AM   #1

City: Seattle
Vessel Model: 34' CHB Trawler
New stove time! Help!

Soon I'll be replacing the 4-burner propane stove/oven in my 77 CHB 34' Tri-Cabin. While a refurbishing and paint-job would get a few more years outta the old "harvest gold" model, truth is I really want a nice new stainless number in there. Why not?! So I'll ask all of you, what make and models are you happy with lately? I'm a pretty serious cook, and I want to do good work in my galley! Also who in the Seattle area does good install work?

Thanks!

BallardPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:47 AM   #2
FF
Guru

The SSCA has a web site , that can be visited and there is a NEW SS Force 10 range for sale.

New its $1300 , he wants $850.

A marine range (or hob) should have different operating valves than a house unit.

It should turn on FULL, and rotate to a lower ,,but adjustable setting.

This is so you can adjust the flame high enough to not be blown out.

There should be a pilot valve to shut off the oven or broiler , should it blow out.

I prefer to wire the solenoid valve with a 2 hour timer , and an ON light.

A kid playing , an unknowing guest . or a forgetful owner get a free save.

IF you are doing a total galley rebuild installing the range against a bulkhead,, a hot pot has a 50?50 chance of going left or right.

Mounted outboard the odds become 50% scalding the hull and 50% scalding the cook.

The odds might be better with a gimboled range on weather the cook is cooked.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:57 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
We find ourselves in the same situation for a different reason. I have my CHB 34 on the market, and the 4 burner stove/grill/oven has served us well, and would continue to do so. It has flame out protection in the oven, but not the burners, however, as FF recommended years ago I had fitted a solenoid we always turn off at a switch with indicator light just above the stove the minute the burners are not in use.

However, thanks to the smart folks who are always trying to make life idiot proof, the regulations here now in Queensland, (probably but not necessarily, all Australia), now require a new current gas certificate if the boat changes hands, and they now require flame-out protection on all burners as well, so we are up for a new stove, like it or not.

So, make sure yours has that feature, because I get the feeling if it is not already law there, it soon will be, as you have similar officialdom to deal with I gather.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Keystone Hgts. Fl
Vessel Name: Kia Mae
Vessel Model: 1979 Prairie CC 36
Can someone tell me the difference between a marine SS Stove and a RV SS stove, besides the price.
Lollipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 05:28 AM   #5

Thanks for the info. I'll be looking for a good range with the appropriate safeguards. I'm hoping others can also weigh in on what they like. I mean, to read the debates on anchors alone, I'd think there was some good waters to fish on the subject of stoves...
Old 02-08-2015, 05:52 AM   #6
FF
Guru

The RV stove has dirt house style valves and is usually painted steel.

The marine version will be SS and have marine safty features.

RV are not air tight at the bottom so can get by with house grade.

Marine may have fiddles and gymbols.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:48 AM   #7
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallardPilot View Post
Also who in the Seattle area does good install work?
Gallery Marine is one to talk to regarding install. Also, stop by Sure Marine for all things cook stove related. Be sure to have measurements before you look for new to replace old, you may just find a slide in to keep install costs in line.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #8
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
A key to knowing that the OP's stove is "RV" is that it is harvest gold. SS doesn't get paint, only steel does. Apparently OK for 38 years, but yes, it is time for an upgrade.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:56 AM   #9
Scraping Paint

City: -
We had to replace the "avocado green" Magic Chef range that was original to our '73 cruiser within a week of buying it due to a leaking valve and no parts availability. We talked to the two big charter boat companies in our harbor, one of which is the area Grand Banks dealer, and this is what we were told at the time (1998): There are only two.brands of marine stove worth getting, Princess and Force 10, and of those two Force 10 is the best.

So we went with a Force 10 and in the ensuing 17 years have had zero problems with it. My wife, who is what I suppose could be called a semi-professional gourmet cook, preferred cooking with the Force 10 on the boat to the household electric range at home until we finally plumbed the kitchen at home for gas and bought her a proper dual fuel range.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:21 PM   #10

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
We believe the Force 10 is the best stove.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Model: Willard 47' Dover Trawler
If you get a Force 10, definitely get the three burner model rather than the four. The burners are spaced so closely on the four burner model that one effectively has three anyway.

I own a four burner model, and if I had it to do over again, I would buy another brand. The BTU output of the one large burner is quite low. And the rest of the burners would be considered simmer burners in a home range. There are competitive stoves that manage to get quite a bit hotter.
SteveD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:05 PM   #12

City: Oakland,Ca
I just got a dickinson Mediterranean to replace our old RV stove. Really
Nice burners, great quality build, and the oven is much bigger than anything else on the market. I got mine at Fisheries Supply in Seattle. Highly reccomended.
Lutarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:19 PM   #13

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure
Not sure if it's available in the US, but we have had great service (10 years) from our Spinflo Caprice 4 burner stove. The glass top creates extra benchtop space. Not expensive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SPINFLO-oven-Mk3l.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	37208  
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:05 PM   #14
Guru

We too had the "Magic Chef", an RV product, could not pass certification, leaked at the valve controls too. Fitted a SMEV 3 burner, made in Italy, looks much like the Force10.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:16 PM   #15

Thanks for the great info. I called Gallery Marine, they don't do install work. So any other recommendations are appreciated. I am impressed with the Dickinson Marine Mediterranean 3 burner model. And it looks like it may be a slide-in, dimensions are almost the same.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:34 PM   #16
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post

I own a four burner model, and if I had it to do over again, I would buy another brand. The BTU output of the one large burner is quite low. And the rest of the burners would be considered simmer burners in a home range. There are competitive stoves that manage to get quite a bit hotter.
I wonder if you have lower than ideal pressure in your gas delivery system or there is a problem with the stove. We put a Force 10 into our boat when we acquired it in 1998 and the thing has been fantastic from the outset. Tons of heat from all three burners when needed: a big pot to boil crabs in is boiling within just a few minutes. Great range of heat on all the burners (according to my wife). The oven/broiler works just as great as the stove.

My wife has done complete Thanksgiving dinners on the boat out in the islands; turkey and all the rest of it, as well as Christmas prime rib dinners. Her only complaint about the Force 10 is, unsurprisingly, is it does not have the same degree of oven insulation as a home oven. As her prime rib cooking technique requires the oven to hold heat for an hour with the element turned off, she's had to modify her technique for the Force 10.

Were we needing to install a new propane range in a boat today we would get the Force 10 three-burner again above all the competitors, assuming it's the same product that it was in 1998.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:59 PM   #17
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
You should replace your propane regulator every 5 years or so, you will find it is not letting enough gas through, therefore not enough enough heat.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:40 PM   #18
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
Here's another positive vote for Spinflo (also marketed as Thetford)....and we'd go for the 3-burner rather than the 4-burner too. But we only have this as a cooktop. For the oven, LG Solardom convection/microwave/multifunction is incredibly good
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:52 PM   #19
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Ballard,
The place to look at and get information on stoves is at Sure Marine just east of the locks on the north side. We bought ours there (a 3 burner) and it's been great. Absolutely no complaints. Chris liked it so much I should have bought it sooner than I did. Chris said she wanted an oven and she uses it a lot.

I turn the propane off at the tank every time we use the stove. Even in rainy rough weather .. not often of course.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:03 PM   #20
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. mb. "I turn the propane off at the tank every time we use the stove." WOW! A stove that runs when the propane is off. Must be super economical.