New Seakeeper gyro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Too late Kevin, since that anchor episode you have been coronated the official Trawler Forum beta tester. Shut up and write the check already :D

I live pretty close. If everybody chips in for diesel and lost wages I'd be more than happy to go up there and slap him around a little.

Too late Kevin, since that anchor episode you have been coronated the official Trawler Forum beta tester. Shut up and write the check already :D

:thumb:
Yeah, take one for the team.:dance:

And then we'll tell you what you did wrong; after the fact:facepalm:

Just like any major addition to your boat you better get the design signed off by the vessel designer, engineer or builder for obvious and not obvious reasons.

Even though our fin stabilization protrudes and shaves .5 knot off our hull speed I wouldn't go for a gyro if it wasn't engineer approved as the centrifugal force on the hull is huge plus you have to run your gen the whole time you want the stabilization plus the warm up and cool down times are pretty lengthy.

Also check your insurance coverage if you add one without engineering approval and a catastrophic hull failure occurs.

Just like any major addition to your boat you better get the design signed off by the vessel designer, engineer or builder for obvious and not obvious reasons.

In many cases they are dead, never existed, out of business, unwilling to return calls or all all of the above.

Truth is you don't really need to contact any of those people to do a simple stabilizer install. Nice if you can but hardly mandatory. Or you can contract an outside "expert" if feel the need.

The companies that build the systems, along with their insurance companies, have a vested interest in seeing that their systems are installed correctly and safely. So they tend to be very helpful and knowledgable about how to go about it the right way.

Don't people do that in general? Plus the extra time you take to let the system warm up pays off once you anchor up in that anchorage at the end of the day that no one else can use but you because of the surge or swell that would have them rolling all night but your the one enjoying a comfortable meal and nights rest. :D

Once you have at rest sabilization it can open up a whole new world of anchorages.

I really do hate to ask this question, but, will this require a different anchor? :hide:

Seakeeper answers

Hello All,
My name is Brook Stevens and I am a Seakeeper representative. I am based in Maryland. I'm more than happy to answer any questions in regards to Seakeeper. I've been with the company since 2009 so I can provide many facts as there are a lot of misconceptions about gyroscopic stabilizers. I will make the general statement that yes, we have shipped well over 2000 systems since March of 2008. We are set and forecast shipping 1000 units in 2015 and are certainly on pace. We have stabilized over 130 different brands of boats. If you have any technical questions or if I can assist in any way please let me know. I can be reached at 410-326-1590 x 137 Thank you kindly.

Hello All,
My name is Brook Stevens and I am a Seakeeper representative. I am based in Maryland. I'm more than happy to answer any questions in regards to Seakeeper. I've been with the company since 2009 so I can provide many facts as there are a lot of misconceptions about gyroscopic stabilizers. I will make the general statement that yes, we have shipped well over 2000 systems since March of 2008. We are set and forecast shipping 1000 units in 2015 and are certainly on pace. We have stabilized over 130 different brands of boats. If you have any technical questions or if I can assist in any way please let me know. I can be reached at 410-326-1590 x 137 Thank you kindly.

Welcome to the forum, Brook. As there are plenty of questions on this thread, why not start by answering the questions that have been posed this far? I warn you, this crowd is pretty savvy, and specifics are important....

I, for one, look forward to your info.

Seakeeper manufactures 5 models.
The Seakeeper 5 - configured for vessels up to 20 tons of displacement
The Seakeeper 9 - configured for vessels up to 35 tons of displacement
The Seakeeper 16 - configured for vessels up to 70 tons of displacement
The Seakeeper 26 - configured for vessels up to 100 tons of displacement
The Seakeeper 35 - configured for vessels up to 140 tons of displacement

When we size, we strive to achieve 70-90% roll reductions.

The units are bonded or bolted to the hull structure or stringers of the vessel. They do not need to be on centerline and multiple units can be installed as well. We don't want to go too far forward of amidships on planing hulls in terms of location. In terms of power draw, our smallest system, the Seakeeper 5 only requires 2KW to spool up and it will operate typically at about half that (5-7 amps) and it will never exceed 2KW. Our 9, 16 and 26 will never exceed 3KW and our 35 will never exceed 5KW. We are actually going to be offering a DC version of the Seakeeper 5 soon and we've had certain clients set their hulls up to run off inverter... rare, but it has been done. Seakeeper has stabilized hulls from 35 feet to 210 feet in length. We've installed units on older wooden boats built in the 30s to the most modern hulls designed to date. We have a global network of partners trained to install and service our product. We have demo boats set up all around the world as well if anyone is interested. Feeling is believing as we say.

Please feel free to visit our website or contact me for additional information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Brook:

Welcome to the forum and welcome your input.

Here is a specific, technical question for you:

I suspect that older gyro stabilizers were passive. The gyro spun up and any roll was passively resisted by induced the gyro torque as the boat rolled. That scheme was reactive and didn't anticipate roll and also was limited in the torque that it could produce.

The Seakeeper system looks like it has hydraulic actuators that can move the spinning gyro and generate force independently of the ship's motion. That means it can anticipate roll and create more stabilizing torque than a passive system.

Do I have it right?

Also do you have any test data on a full displacement trawler like the Krogen but underway, not at anchor like the current test data on your website.

David

Active Control

Hi David,
Actually the hydraulic dampeners you see on the unit don't drive the gyro. We just control the rate at which it precesses or tilts for and aft when it is responding to the roll. There is no hydraulic pump or anything. We just maximize the performance throughout the whole roll period of the boat using our dampeners. Passive systems cannot do this, you are correct. In transferring fluid from one ram to another we can utilize the gyro's angular momentum and torque to the fullest.

I do have underway data collected on a lot of hulls and even more zero speed data collected. Feel free to contact me and I can send this information to you. My email address is bstevens at seakeeper.com

I sent a more thorough quick response as well it just has not posted yet. I guess it has to be reviewed?

Thank you,
Brook

Hello All,

OK Brook, I started this thread.

I have a 2001 Bayliner Pilothouse model 4788

I am thinking about your product

Please let me know...

1. which model is the proper one for the boat

2. Would the appropriate installation be to attach the unit spanning across the two main stringers in my boat, and would mounting in the lazarette area be an acceptable location.

Thanks

Seakeeper for Bayliner

Hi Mr. Sanders

We have installed a Seakeeper unit on your same hull on the West Coast. The boat is in Santa Cruz CA. We installed a Seakeeper 9 on this particular hull however the 5 was not available when this project took place. I can get you in touch with this owner if you'd like.

Judging by Yachtworld it appears your hull displaces about 30,000 lbs. The Seakeeper 5 should handle this hull no problem. The lazarette area you describe sounds just fine too. The unit would structurally tie into your stringers in that location.

You can contact me directly anytime for further guidance and information.

Regards,
Brook

Hi Mr. Sanders

We have installed a Seakeeper unit on your same hull on the West Coast. The boat is in Santa Cruz CA. We installed a Seakeeper 9 on this particular hull however the 5 was not available when this project took place. I can get you in touch with this owner if you'd like.

Judging by Yachtworld it appears your hull displaces about 30,000 lbs. The Seakeeper 5 should handle this hull no problem. The lazarette area you describe sounds just fine too. The unit would structurally tie into your stringers in that location.

You can contact me directly anytime for further guidance and information.

Regards,
Brook

Brook

Regarding the installation you did on my model boat...

Where did you install the unit in the boat?
Was there any other engineering or special brackets fabricated to accomplish the installation?
Can you post any photos of the installation?

Thanks!!!

gyros

The boat that I capt has gyros they work well take a few min to come on line can not use them over 10knts but that ok don't need them at those speeds

I seem to remember in the manual not to do that they are made by Mitsubishi we really don't need them over that speed the boat gets more stable the faster you go and the roll is gone

Seakeeper at speed

Hi Pure Pleasure,

The Seakeeper units can most certainly be used at any boat speed. I will not comment on other brands, but Seakeeper units can absolutely be utilized underway at any speed, in any sea state.

It is true that the hull will do a lot of the dampening underway, however the Seakeeper unit(s) will reduce whatever roll is still occurring.

Thanks
Brook

Back
Top Bottom