Old 04-01-2015, 10:21 AM   #41

City: Huntingtown
Active Control

Hi David,
Actually the hydraulic dampeners you see on the unit don't drive the gyro. We just control the rate at which it precesses or tilts for and aft when it is responding to the roll. There is no hydraulic pump or anything. We just maximize the performance throughout the whole roll period of the boat using our dampeners. Passive systems cannot do this, you are correct. In transferring fluid from one ram to another we can utilize the gyro's angular momentum and torque to the fullest.

I do have underway data collected on a lot of hulls and even more zero speed data collected. Feel free to contact me and I can send this information to you. My email address is bstevens at seakeeper.com

I sent a more thorough quick response as well it just has not posted yet. I guess it has to be reviewed?

Thank you,
Brook

B. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:30 AM   #42
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seakeeper View Post
Hello All,
My name is Brook Stevens and I am a Seakeeper representative. I am based in Maryland. I'm more than happy to answer any questions in regards to Seakeeper. I've been with the company since 2009 so I can provide many facts as there are a lot of misconceptions about gyroscopic stabilizers. I will make the general statement that yes, we have shipped well over 2000 systems since March of 2008. We are set and forecast shipping 1000 units in 2015 and are certainly on pace. We have stabilized over 130 different brands of boats. If you have any technical questions or if I can assist in any way please let me know. I can be reached at 410-326-1590 x 137 Thank you kindly.
OK Brook, I started this thread.

I have a 2001 Bayliner Pilothouse model 4788

I am thinking about your product

Please let me know...

1. which model is the proper one for the boat

2. Would the appropriate installation be to attach the unit spanning across the two main stringers in my boat, and would mounting in the lazarette area be an acceptable location.

Thanks

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:47 PM   #43

Seakeeper for Bayliner

Hi Mr. Sanders

We have installed a Seakeeper unit on your same hull on the West Coast. The boat is in Santa Cruz CA. We installed a Seakeeper 9 on this particular hull however the 5 was not available when this project took place. I can get you in touch with this owner if you'd like.

Judging by Yachtworld it appears your hull displaces about 30,000 lbs. The Seakeeper 5 should handle this hull no problem. The lazarette area you describe sounds just fine too. The unit would structurally tie into your stringers in that location.

You can contact me directly anytime for further guidance and information.

Regards,
Brook
Old 04-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #44
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seakeeper View Post
Hi Mr. Sanders

We have installed a Seakeeper unit on your same hull on the West Coast. The boat is in Santa Cruz CA. We installed a Seakeeper 9 on this particular hull however the 5 was not available when this project took place. I can get you in touch with this owner if you'd like.

Judging by Yachtworld it appears your hull displaces about 30,000 lbs. The Seakeeper 5 should handle this hull no problem. The lazarette area you describe sounds just fine too. The unit would structurally tie into your stringers in that location.

You can contact me directly anytime for further guidance and information.

Regards,
Brook
Brook

Regarding the installation you did on my model boat...

Where did you install the unit in the boat?
Was there any other engineering or special brackets fabricated to accomplish the installation?
Can you post any photos of the installation?

Thanks!!!
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:12 AM   #45

City: Freeport Tx
gyros

The boat that I capt has gyros they work well take a few min to come on line can not use them over 10knts but that ok don't need them at those speeds
Pure pleasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:20 PM   #46
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Why can't you use them over 10kts?
Old 04-05-2015, 10:11 PM   #47

City: Freeport Tx
I seem to remember in the manual not to do that they are made by Mitsubishi we really don't need them over that speed the boat gets more stable the faster you go and the roll is gone
Pure pleasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:14 AM   #48

Seakeeper at speed

Hi Pure Pleasure,

The Seakeeper units can most certainly be used at any boat speed. I will not comment on other brands, but Seakeeper units can absolutely be utilized underway at any speed, in any sea state.

It is true that the hull will do a lot of the dampening underway, however the Seakeeper unit(s) will reduce whatever roll is still occurring.

Thanks
Brook