Old 09-24-2016, 10:55 AM   #1

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
New refrigerator, Vitrifrigo?

I am replacing an obsolete Norcold and am ready to have a new one installed. I am leaning toward the Vitrifrigo DP-2600.

Anyone have this make? Thoughts?

It will fit and have had a marine guy come out and give me a price that I can live with for the fridge and installation since I can't possibly do it myself.

Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:43 AM   #2

City: FORT LAUDERDALE,FL
If I am not mistaken, Vitrifrigo is the Italian parent company of the Frigoboat line of marine refrigerators. Frigoboat is the system of choice of Island Packet and other big builders.

captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:14 PM   #3

City: Ashland
I long ago gave up on expensive so called marine fridges. Replaced my Norcold with an apartment size Summit fridge. Even has self defrost with an interior light. Try to find those features in over rated marine stuff.

Sure, it operates on AC but today one can purchase a 2KW true sine wave inverterter on EBay for under $200. So add the $500 cost for the fridge and the total for fridge and inverter is about 1/2 the cost for a marine replacement that offers fewer features.

OH-- the Summit fit almost perfectly into the vacated hole left by the Norcold.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: FT.Pierce, Fl
Vessel Name: Tuna Talk
Vessel Model: CC Tournament 30
I went the same route as foggysail and have been 100% satisfied, 10 years and going strong.
Jim Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:46 PM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Ms. D. I am in full agreement with Messrs. f & JC. Go domestic/non marine. When our last fridge (domestic) died, we looked into a "marine" unit. WOW! Talk about sticker shock. We already have an inverter on board so ~$300 (Home Despot) as compared to ~$1500 was a no-brainer in our case.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:04 PM   #6

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Name: Wataworld
Vessel Model: Defever 44+5
I have two vertifrigo's one is just a fridge the other has the drawers freezer/fridge I believe the DW180 has died after 8 years of service and now replacing as well, they claim this usually happens with power surges I can't go with the household versions since mine is short. Maybe the inverter power is more stable. Thoughts
Gregg
Wataworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:24 PM   #7
Guru

City: RI
We just decided on a Vitrifrigo for our new American Tug. I hated the look of the standard NovaKool and it uses a single Danfoss BD 35 compressor for both the fridge and freezer. There are lots of reports of the NovaKool not keeping temperature in warm climates...
It then came down to a Vitrifrigo or a Webasto unit with 2 of the Danfoss BD compressors, one each for fridge and freezer. After hearing a few stories of failed Vitrifrigo units and seeing what is obviously superior insulation in the Webasto unit we thought we would ask for that unit, the Cruise 195 in stainless steel.
Then we went to the Newport Boat Show. We saw the Webasto unit in person and we where less than impressed.
We then found the Vitrifrigo model we had considered and that was that. Vitrifrigo it is! It is a much better looking unit and if it proves to be a problem child, I can deal with it! I've tamed much more difficult things in my life.
As for the insulation, well, if I am back next year complaining about energy consumption, you can remind me that we wanted a good looking unit...
Bruce
Old 09-24-2016, 04:59 PM   #8
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Just bought a 2600, installing it next week.

Shipped nicely and worked when plugged into the wall.

Be careful with the measurements...they are all over the map incorrect (usually withing fractions of an inch but even a 1/4 inch can screw you depending on your existing cutout.

Even the Vitrifrigo tech in Florida gave me a useless measurement. I measured where the top install frame plus the rubber feet make it 3/8 inch taller than his and the advertised cutout dimension.

Looks as good as the next...doesn't have as many features of the Norcold (at least that I can tell) and with the Norcold using Danfoss compressors now...they may be as good or better...but the reviews just killed them...I will probably see in the long run one way or another.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:04 PM   #9

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Ka_sea_ta
Vessel Model: 48 Defever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
We just decided on a Vitrifrigo for our new American Tug. I hated the look of the standard NovaKool and it uses a single Danfoss BD 35 compressor for both the fridge and freezer. There are lots of reports of the NovaKool not keeping temperature in warm climates...
It then came down to a Vitrifrigo or a Webasto unit with 2 of the Danfoss BD compressors, one each for fridge and freezer. After hearing a few stories of failed Vitrifrigo units and seeing what is obviously superior insulation in the Webasto unit we thought we would ask for that unit, the Cruise 195 in stainless steel.
Then we went to the Newport Boat Show. We saw the Webasto unit in person and we where less than impressed.
We then found the Vitrifrigo model we had considered and that was that. Vitrifrigo it is! It is a much better looking unit and if it proves to be a problem child, I can deal with it! I've tamed much more difficult things in my life.
As for the insulation, well, if I am back next year complaining about energy consumption, you can remind me that we wanted a good looking unit...
Bruce
Since you are having your boat built north, you should check into Seafreeze they are out of Bellingham and build a pretty bulletproof refrigeration system Sea Freeze of America - Marine Refrigeration - Refrigerators

I have used these guys for several years and have never had a failure. We have one on the Defever. and it's low amp draw and a very low duty cycle... It's a very well insulated box...
Ka_sea_ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:14 PM   #10
Guru

City: RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka_sea_ta View Post
Since you are having your boat built north, you should check into Seafreeze they are out of Bellingham and build a pretty bulletproof refrigeration system Sea Freeze of America - Marine Refrigeration - Refrigerators

I have used these guys for several years and have never had a failure. We have one on the Defever. and it's low amp draw and a very low duty cycle... It's a very well insulated box...
I think I've seen these here before somewhere. They appear to concentrate on insulation! It appears to me that all of these companies use Danfoss compressors in their refrigerator/freezer units so other than thermostats and insulation they are similar...
In the end we really like the look of the Vitrifrigo so I think we will leave it at that. The people at AT already believe that there is something "wrong" with me and I don't want to keep changing my mind...
Bruce
Old 09-24-2016, 05:21 PM   #11

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Ka_sea_ta
Vessel Model: 48 Defever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I think I've seen these here before somewhere. They appear to concentrate on insulation! It appears to me that all of these companies use Danfoss compressors in their refrigerator/freezer units so other than thermostats and insulation they are similar...
In the end we really like the look of the Vitrifrigo so I think we will leave it at that. The people at AT already believe that there is something "wrong" with me and I don't want to keep changing my mind...
Bruce
The difference is the evap plates they use... The freezer uses the standard stamped light weight evaporator, The refer uses what looks like a cold plate.
Ka_sea_ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:37 PM   #12

Oh jeez, totally confused now! I cannot install it myself, just don't have the muscle to throw it over the rails and squeeze it through the door and go go down a few steps to the galley. I HAVE TO hire it out.

I think I'll just bite the 2000.00 bullet and go with Vitrifrigo.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:41 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Oh jeez, totally confused now! I cannot install it myself, just don't have the muscle to throw it over the rails and squeeze it through the door and go go down a few steps to the galley. I HAVE TO hire it out.

I think I'll just bite the 2000.00 bullet and go with Vitrifrigo.
if you install and it stinks...quick let me know as mine is still sitting on the shipping pallet....

You have 7 days to report around.....
Old 09-24-2016, 06:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
if you install and it stinks...quick let me know as mine is still sitting on the shipping pallet....

You have 7 days to report around.....
LOL!!! I can have it installed on Wednesday. The same day my countertop icemaker is due to arrive. I have a ton of counter space.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:59 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
LOL!!! I can have it installed on Wednesday. The same day my countertop icemaker is due to arrive. I have a ton of counter space.
Ok...when we hit Palm Coast in early January, we will have to compare cold beers....
Old 09-24-2016, 07:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Ok...when we hit Palm Coast in early January, we will have to compare cold beers....

I would really like that!
Old 09-24-2016, 07:11 PM   #17

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
We are in the process of pulling out SubZeros and putting in two Vitrifrigo 210s, one all fridge one all freezer. We got tired of sitting on the floor to get in the boxes, so drawers were too good to pass up. I researched all the dual voltage options. Hopefully made the right decision. Time will tell.

Anyone in my area want two almost new SubZeros?
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:11 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
I would really like that!
Deal...we often stop at Marineland, so we will have to meet half way with thermal temp guns and figure out who warmed up quicker.....

Ooops, the perverts on this site will have a field day with this post....
Old 09-24-2016, 07:59 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Selkie
Vessel Model: Canoe Cove 41
I just replaced my old Norcold with a new Norcold. What can I say? It fit in the hole. The price was astonishing. I'm a marine dealer so I can get it Wholesale. $1800 CAD plus freight. I installed it myself, pretty easy, and not too heavy. It is about 1/4 as noisy as the possibly 40 year old reject, and runs about 1/2 as much. My friend who we often raft with says he sleeps much better now that we have a new quieter fridge!
saltcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:14 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Love our two drawer Vitrifrigo. It's been running 24/7 for 5 months/yr for a couple of years now (solar panels). Fit in the same space (with minor modifications) as our old Nevercold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vitrifrigo.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	56685