New refrigerator, Vitrifrigo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really don’t understand why folks purchase marine refrigerators because of their high cost and low performance.

EDIT: I believe the Summit has provisions to operate without self defrost but it’s been awhile since I looked at its specifications

Fit into existing cabinetry and efficiency.
Good ones last long enough and do the job just fine.

Another might be about electrical efficiency. I think an AC/DC fridge running a DC compressor on DC is more efficient (battery-wise) than using an inverter on an AC-only unit. (Don't know that for sure, but I think that's likely the case, given the inverter has some overhead, too. I also don't know how much "inefficient" costs; might only be an important factor for folks with minimal battery banks.)

Our fridges work fine; no sign of "low performance."

I've read new Norcolds actually work fine, too, much better than their older products. Perhaps they changed to DC compressors?

I'd like self-defrost, though. Wonder why somebody doesn't make an AC/DC fridge where a self-defrost feature at least works when AC power is present.

-Chris

I've read new Norcolds actually work fine, too, much better than their older products.

That is true... as long as you keep the doors shut. Open the door and all the work it spent cooling down gets dumped on the floor. Then the wait to cool off begins all over again. I swear I don’t know why boat fridges perform so poorly. That said, we have only ever had full-size Norcold units. First one failed and we didn’t know there were other options (n00bz) so we did a 1-for-1 replacement. It worked only marginally better. New boat has the same unit, and as soon as we can afford to put it on the project list, it will get replaced.

I have a Vitrifrigo 3 years old and it works very well: efficient, quiet and does not drain my batteries.
Their tech. support is not great: I lost the users manual and from the part number on the invoice, they can't identify the model, weird.

I have a Vitrifrigo 3 years old and it works very well: efficient, quiet and does not drain my batteries.
Their tech. support is not great: I lost the users manual and from the part number on the invoice, they can't identify the model, weird.

Isn't the part number listed on the inside of the fridge near the door seal?

That is true... as long as you keep the doors shut. Open the door and all the work it spent cooling down gets dumped on the floor. Then the wait to cool off begins all over again. .

Yup....When we go cruising we buy $3 worth of ice and move all the frequently accessed items, beer, drinks etc, to a Pelican cooler in the cockpit. Keeps the 30 year old Norcold working acceptably at an average of 4-5 amps per hour. It ain't broke so I'm not fixing it (for now..:) )

That is true... as long as you keep the doors shut. Open the door and all the work it spent cooling down gets dumped on the floor. Then the wait to cool off begins all over again. I swear I don’t know why boat fridges perform so poorly.

Well, then... maybe Norcold isn't better now, or maybe it's only marginally improved (no recent first-hand experience)... but in that case, could just be a brand thing.

Our "boat fridges" (NovaKool) work fine.

-Chris

I have an old Norcold that needs replacement. It has run for many years on a Newmar MSW inverter. Does anyone know of any issues with the Vitifrigo on MSW inverters?

Mine prefers to run on DC, just set it up that it only runs on DC or an outlet that is only supplied by shore power.

Mine prefers to run on DC, just set it up that it only runs on DC or an outlet that is only supplied by shore power.

Ditto.

It's a DC compressor so it makes sense to cut out the middle man.

I have separate units, both with external compressors. A great setup. A medium setting, the freezer stays at 0 to +2F,
The fridge at minimal (warmest) setting stays at 38°F if not opened or 46° if opened frequently.
Those numbers are extremely consistent over the last 3 years and have only varied when I've lost power.

Richard

I have an old Norcold that needs replacement. It has run for many years on a Newmar MSW inverter. Does anyone know of any issues with the Vitifrigo on MSW inverters?

Why would you run an AC/DC fridge on an inverter? MSW or otherwise? The inverter has standby losses as well as some overhead waste just being energized. A Vitrifrigo or any of the Danfoss/SECOP systems that operate on AC have a module that converts AC to DC to power the equipment. If there's DC available, it makes no sense to convert DC to AC to plug in the fridge when it takes the AC and converts it back to DC to run. Even further, since very few boats can't power their DC systems from shore power, why spend the extra ($120?) for an AC/DC unit when a straight DC will do the identical job?

Why would you run an AC/DC fridge on an inverter? MSW or otherwise? The inverter has standby losses as well as some overhead waste just being energized. A Vitrifrigo or any of the Danfoss/SECOP systems that operate on AC have a module that converts AC to DC to power the equipment. If there's DC available, it makes no sense to convert DC to AC to plug in the fridge when it takes the AC and converts it back to DC to run. Even further, since very few boats can't power their DC systems from shore power, why spend the extra ($120?) for an AC/DC unit when a straight DC will do the identical job?

Sure I understand that very well Maerin but that is not what I was asking. Some equipment has issues running on different waveforms (msw) and I was interested in anyone's experience with this unit.

My opinion only.

My old boat had Virtafrigo freezers and fridges. One freezer needed parts within three years. The fridges would never get below 40 degrees. New boat has Uline, much better freezer is great and fridge is at 34 degrees at mid setting. I’m happy.

Our '08 Mainship has a Vitrifrigo draw/draw fridge that has worked fine. Quiet. At times wish we had the fridge freezer version but do like the extra fridge space.
Bottom drawer will almost freeze on highest setting...best place to keep the beer!!!

I should have added the the main fridge was replaced just before I took delivery because the coldest it would get was 42 . I would never go back to Vitrifrigo while I’m sure Baccus would never move from them. I think these differences are fairly common due to installation or faulty equipment. So you spend your $$ and hope your lucky.

I have a Nova Kool, (freezer on the bottom) guess it is as old as the boat.... almost 10 years. Seems to work fine.
It runs on 12vt. Might be time to replace the the seals on the doors SHRUG
One thing I do not like is, it is manual defrost. I guess I can live with that assuming the hair dryer doesn't die.

Big fan of Vitrifrigos. Have the two drawer SeaDrawer with freezer / fridge combo... can't go wrong, stainless steel design looks nice too

Vitrifrigo

I know this is an old thread but this is the first thing that comes up on vitrifrigo and I think people need to know how unreliable it is.

My experience with this frig was very different. I bought mine a a year and 3 weeks ago and it died while I was on a trip. The condenser fan went bad.after several emails to the very unhelpful service rep at vitrifrigo I was told they will not send out service because it’s a few weeks out of warr.I have to fix it myself lucky I service refrigeration so I can do it. The frig looks nice but it has cheap Chinese parts the fan had a temp sensing speed control for some reason and that’s what went bad. Simple is best If you can find a unit with a mechanical control and simple components get that one. I spoke to a few people at the dock and they had similar problems with vitrifrigo.
Any questions pm me and I will be glad to help you from making the same mistake I did.

Vitrifrigo

And also I’m up north so the season is short. Basically it only ran for a few months. The frig I replaced was 15yrs old with no problems until replacement.

And mine has worked perfectly for 3 years on a full time liveaboard.

Aren't MOST fridges coming with cheap Chinese "pieces and parts"?

My son's $2500 home fridge has had 2 major issues in the last 5 years.

I agree most products come with cheap parts. But as the manufacturer they should at least stand by there product. The service manager said whatever he could to not fix it.
It’s a few weeks out of warr. We do not warr units bought on eBay (even though the company that sold it on eBay buys from vitrifrigo all the time,the woman who I spoke to even knew the service manager.

I’m glad your son got lucky. I just wish I fixed my old dometic instead of replacing it with this one.

My son didn't get lucky...both times he had to fix it himself for hundreds of dollars and hours of aggravation.

He even had to declare his business as a "repair facility" or something to get them to send parts to him.

I am not saying it's right...but I am curious to know what any of these companies offer in customer service that is hands down superior with prices that don't reflect that level of service.

I thought I did my homework and at the time there seemed to be a preponderance of happy Vitrifrigo customers.

My mistake you got lucky
I’m not sure what others offer but whatever happened to helping the customer.
And the fan on it is a disaster waiting to happen. It should cycle with the compressor not go on when a temp sensor inside it warms up. I already changed it myself to a good quality ball bearing fan that just runs when power is applied just like it’s been done for the last 100 years

My Vitrifugo has been good. It didn’t cool really well when we bought the boat. It was due to the poor installation. I added a vent low and a vent high in the cabinet. Also added a 50 mAmp fan and the cooling is fine now. The unit was installed in 2013 so far so good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom