Old 06-04-2017, 12:22 AM   #1

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Hiatus
Vessel Model: Cooper Prowler
New Power

Hello, my name is Mike and I'm new here. I'm happy that I'm now a member of this forum. Now that I'm in, I'd like to ask a question. I have acquired a 1990, 33' Cooper Prowler that I use as a weekend getaway. My Sis calls it a dock potato as for the fact that She has only one of her two engines and that one doesn't run. The "stock" engines are two 7.4 mercruisers.

My question to the forum is.... do you think it's worth repowering/replacing the engines in this vessel? I think the rest of her is fairly sound and seaworthy. It is an expensive task and I just want to see what the group has to say.

I also have to add, I don't believe that I will ever recover the value of what I have already put into her plus the cost of installing the new power..... but thinking maybe I can get some years of pleasure out of her in my retirement years.

Thanks again for my opportunity to belong to the group.

CooperBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:47 AM   #2
Guru

City: Sydney
Considered putting a pod on the stern and 2 60hp outboards ?

gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:15 AM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Get an estimate and see what your wallet says. Might start with a mechanic and see if it can be fixed first.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:29 AM   #4
FF
Guru

"She has only one of her two engines and that one doesn't run. The "stock" engines are two 7.4 mercruisers."

Find out why it "doesn't run" .

Lots cheaper to fix something than R&R the engines.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:31 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I think you need to consider the economics. Could you even sell the boat without fixing or replacing the engine. Online I found a 7.4 mercruiser engine for $14,000. Removal and replacement would be additional. You would then have a boat you could enjoy or sell.

But first determine if the current engine can be fixed.

Can't see an alternative. Living with one engine doesn't work because you would have to put up with it until you sell the boat and then the buyer would reduce the selling price to take into account the cost of a new engine.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:37 AM   #6
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
It will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $75,000 to replace those gassers with diesels. As you note, you will never get that back when you sell.

A much better choice is to fix the bad engine. Could be cheap but as noted above, you can replace with new for one fourth the cost of new diesels.

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:50 AM   #7
Guru

City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Gaston made a good suggestion. A couple of Suzuki DF60s would cost you less than one 7.4 Mercruiser and they only weigh 250-280 lbs.

My suspicion is your boat with good engines would only sell for $30K or so. It doesn't seem to make much sense to replace repower at $30K or so.

Are you certain your engine is a 7.4 and not a 5.7?
Old 06-04-2017, 07:59 AM   #8
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
With my modest mechanical skills I have replaced stern drive gassers in my driveway. It is amazing how cheap a new Mercruiser 350 or 454 carb gasser is, but first - what is the current problem?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:12 AM   #9

Well, thank you for the replies, gentlemen. After reading them, I'll chime in some more. As far as a pod-drive goes, I'm not sure that the higher center of gravity, flybridge, etc. of my boat makes it the right fit for pods. Now, as far as the existing engine goes.... I know and have the engine that is removed. It is completely burned up and needs nothing short of a complete rebuild. Being that these are the stock 1990 salt water engines and all, it's hard for me to imagine the motor that's there being in much better shape. That, and whatever I do, it will probably require dry docking, etc. I'd also like to get some longevity, as in I don't want to do it again any time soon.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:25 AM   #10
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Part of the reason for buying gas motors in the first place is for the "ease" and relative low cost of replacement over diesels. They aren't going to last as long, but you get a much lower initial cost at purchase.

That's the THEORY anyway. ;-)
Old 06-04-2017, 08:46 AM   #11
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
I think what Gaston was talking about "pods" was a bracket which would be glassed or bolted (or both) to the transom of your boat and hang a pair of outboard engines on the bracket.

Armstrong Brackets . . . the foundation for new life in your old boat.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:55 AM   #12
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Keep your eyes open for used engines being sold. Sometimes a boat will blow one engine and replace both with new, one of the pair is still ok. Find two of those deals and you may luck out. Sometimes they do a diesel repower and both engines are available. Also if just used for putt-putting around, you can go with 5.0 or 5.7's.

If you have both 7.4's and one is fried, a long block could be a cheap fix. If you have all the marine add-on parts, that is a big plus.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
I think what Gaston was talking about "pods" was a bracket which would be glassed or bolted (or both) to the transom of your boat and hang a pair of outboard engines on the bracket.

Armstrong Brackets . . . the foundation for new life in your old boat.

Oh, ok.... I will look into it. My boat has a considerable swim step on the back now... there was a dinghy mounted there. Would I just "beef-up" or use this swim step?
Old 06-04-2017, 09:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Gaston made a good suggestion. A couple of Suzuki DF60s would cost you less than one 7.4 Mercruiser and they only weigh 250-280 lbs.

My suspicion is your boat with good engines would only sell for $30K or so. It doesn't seem to make much sense to replace repower at $30K or so.

Are you certain your engine is a 7.4 and not a 5.7?

I will look into the outboards, etc. I am sure that they are 7.4's. I checked the numbers personally with Mercury Marine.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperBrewer View Post
I will look into the outboards, etc. I am sure that they are 7.4's. I checked the numbers personally with Mercury Marine.

Thank you for your reply.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:43 AM   #16
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Here is an option, and right in San Diego! You'll have to check if you can use standard rotation engines, or need a reverse rotation engine...

Pair of 350 Mag "Horizon's" w/300hp ea. | Affordable Marine Service

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:50 AM   #17
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooperBrewer View Post
Hello, my name is Mike and I'm new here. I'm happy that I'm now a member of this forum. Now that I'm in, I'd like to ask a question. I have acquired a 1990, 33' Cooper Prowler that I use as a weekend getaway. My Sis calls it a dock potato as for the fact that She has only one of her two engines and that one doesn't run. The "stock" engines are two 7.4 mercruisers.

My question to the forum is.... do you think it's worth repowering/replacing the engines in this vessel? I think the rest of her is fairly sound and seaworthy. It is an expensive task and I just want to see what the group has to say.

I also have to add, I don't believe that I will ever recover the value of what I have already put into her plus the cost of installing the new power..... but thinking maybe I can get some years of pleasure out of her in my retirement years.

Not sure I was looking at the correct "Cooper Prowler" but images using Google show some boats that look decent enough... so repowering to make it a boat seems like worth some thought, at least.

Were the originals for straight shaft or outdrives? Could you re-use with gears and shaft or outdrives? Or at least defer addressing those until later?

I'd say diesels is a non-starter; too expensive, and if your have a genset you'd want to change that, too... with even more cost.

But with gassers, you could maybe improve the cooling system at the same time... with freshwater cooled engines instead of raw water cooled.

Have you looked at prices for drop-in reman FWC 7.4s? Or... are your blocks candidates for a rebuild?

Or... have you maybe looked at any other reasonable and semi-modern gas engine that will bolt up to your gear/shaft or outdrive. Might be that a newer engine size/style could cost more at first but would work better and get you better fuel economy...

-Chris
Old 06-04-2017, 10:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Here is an option, and right in San Diego! You'll have to check if you can use standard rotation engines, or need a reverse rotation engine...

Pair of 350 Mag "Horizon's" w/300hp ea. | Affordable Marine Service

Now, this is the reason I joined! Networking

I will call and inquire... and possibly check these out next week... somewhere around the 13th?
Old 06-04-2017, 10:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Not sure I was looking at the correct "Cooper Prowler" but images using Google show some boats that look decent enough... so repowering to make it a boat seems like worth some thought, at least.

Were the originals for straight shaft or outdrives? Could you re-use with gears and shaft or outdrives? Or at least defer addressing those until later?

I'd say diesels is a non-starter; too expensive, and if your have a genset you'd want to change that, too... with even more cost.

But with gassers, you could maybe improve the cooling system at the same time... with freshwater cooled engines instead of raw water cooled.

Have you looked at prices for drop-in reman FWC 7.4s? Or... are your blocks candidates for a rebuild?

Or... have you maybe looked at any other reasonable and semi-modern gas engine that will bolt up to your gear/shaft or outdrive. Might be that a newer engine size/style could cost more at first but would work better and get you better fuel economy...

-Chris

I would like to maintain the same torque and/or HP that the boat came with if possible. It is shaft driven with a gearbox to mount up to.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:22 PM   #20
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
The motor is nothing but a big block Chevy or BBC. Rebuilt crate motors are available from $2400 and up, all you need to do is swap over the marinization kit from your old engines. It's all basic shadetree mechanics........ Just tell the rebuilder that you want a marine cam.

BTW, a few years back I had a 540 cu. in. all alloy Dart marine BBC built for a lake boat that made 500 hp at 4000 rpm for only $15k installed with a warranty.

Woodland Hills is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
new power