Old 03-29-2016, 01:53 AM   #81
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
The problem with ethanol isn't environmental, but comes when the engine is stored for an extended time. Things get all gummed up and the gum is difficult, if not impossible to get rid of. In order to avoid that issue, I have switched, as much as I can, to non-ethanol gas. Unfortunately, it is not always available, so in the last tankful before storage, I now use Sea Foam. Not a perfect solution either, but better than sacrificing the engine to ethanol induced gummy failures.
In my car that the owner's manual says "use regular gas", I did a 1500 mile each leg experiment with regular (E-10) and premium (E-0). for less than 10% higher cost for premium, I got more than a 10% improvement in economy. I won't go back to regular.

koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:42 AM   #82
Veteran Member

City: Toledo
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
The problem with ethanol isn't environmental, but comes when the engine is stored for an extended time. Things get all gummed up and the gum is difficult, if not impossible to get rid of. In order to avoid that issue, I have switched, as much as I can, to non-ethanol gas. Unfortunately, it is not always available, so in the last tankful before storage, I now use Sea Foam. Not a perfect solution either, but better than sacrificing the engine to ethanol induced gummy failures.
In my car that the owner's manual says "use regular gas", I did a 1500 mile each leg experiment with regular (E-10) and premium (E-0). for less than 10% higher cost for premium, I got more than a 10% improvement in economy. I won't go back to regular.
Are you sure its E0? My understanding was that almost all premium fuel is also E-10 because its an easy way to increase the octane. I use premium in my car because I can get significantly improved fuel economy but I believe its because I drive a small 1.4l turbocharged engine which when its warm has to retard the timing to prevent knock on regular 87.

devorenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:46 PM   #83
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
In the old days (1962) when I was in the Navy in SanDiego I had a nice Chevy convertable and loved to go driving on the weekends. Often I didn't have cash for fuel. But often I'd have two cans of OB mix (24-1 in those days) on the boat so would but the 12 gallons of 24-1 in the Chevy .. and then do fun in the sun.

As little as two years ago I'd dump my old gas in OB tanks into my 85 Suburban and mix new for the boat. Never had a dirty plug or smoke or any other problem running the two stroke mix fuel in autos. Just had some upper cyl lubricant. My Suburban now (87) has fuel injection and I haven't dumped any mix in it. Put it in Chris's 72 Chevy PU truck though.

koliver,
I wonder how many variables you overlooked like denser air in the am ect ect. Did you do it three times?
I've heard that more than several times so I'm a little predisposed to believe it but still the sceptical.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:24 AM   #84
FF
Guru

Non used gas engines will usually have carb problems in time.

A vastly shorter time if the fuel has been ethanol poisoned .

My Honda 6KW 6010 noisemaker was out of commission for 5 years , while an engine swap was being done in our bus conversion.

Being lazy , lots to take off besides the carb to get it off , I decides to try "Better Living thru Chemistry"

Sea Foam 50-50 with gasoline was used to fill the carb 3 times with a few hours of wait before draining.

Happily it worked , little effort , minor expanse .

For very intermitiant use Propane is the fuel of choice.

But this trick might get an outboard operating with luck.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:38 AM   #85
Guru

FF,
Yes Sea Foam is good. I'll try that on my 6hp 70's Johnson. There's stuff in the way of that carb too. I'm the luckiest of all sun signs so the luck is almost in the bag .. is "in the bag" a bird hunter's expression?

Old 03-31-2016, 11:11 AM   #86
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
FF,
Yes Sea Foam is good. I'll try that on my 6hp 70's Johnson. There's stuff in the way of that carb too. I'm the luckiest of all sun signs so the luck is almost in the bag .. is "in the bag" a bird hunter's expression?
SeaFoam is good, rather mild though... in comparison to Chem-Tool, which works really quickly and completely. IMO
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:51 AM   #87

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
FF,
It's a 1920's baseball expression.
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:53 AM   #88
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Jon View Post
Every expression over time either started out as a baseball expression or somehow they took it in and over.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:55 AM   #89
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats
FF,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Jon View Post
All this time I figured it was/is a bank robber's order!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:20 PM   #90
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
"koliver,
I wonder how many variables you overlooked like denser air in the am ect ect. Did you do it three times?" Eric

Didn't do it 3x. I don't know what variables I missed.
I do know that my mileage has never been worse than when I filled at a Mohawk station, before ethanol was mandated, but Mohawk put it into their gas. The difference was shocking, so bad that no other explanation was available, and returned to normal mileage when I got my next fill at a brand that didn't then use ethanol.
Now I always look on the pump to see what % ethanol they use, especially in premium gas. Chevron 94 is the best, but not always available. Other stations usually say that their regular contains "up to 10% ethanol" but are frequently silent as to the ethanol content of premium. Occasionally I find premium that says "no ethanol".
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:20 PM   #91
Guru

koliver,
Alcohol being a weak fuel not making the power of gasoline would no doubt reduce the mileage but I have always thought it was fly stuff. Thinking if it was significant it would be common knowledge. But I seldom hear of it so thought it was kind of an old wives tale. But not so .... Thanks.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:35 PM   #92
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Make sure its an outboard she can start."

This is so critical , to keep the bride from feeling "trapped" on board .

I suggest folks consider an electric trolling motor and battery so "She Who Must Be Obeyed" can do as she pleases with out asking for help.

At the very least , make her the Launch Captain , for every ride to anywhere.
Yeah, cause you know us guys can just yank it and crank it.

what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote