Old 03-28-2016, 11:04 AM   #61

City: Gainesville, FL
BTW, I have a nice 28 horsepower 1961 Mercury 200 Super Hurricane (one of the "white Mercs") that I'd sell to one of you guys who REALLY loves his vintage two strokes. Unrestored and actually runs quite well. Art? It's definitely "romantic"!

ERIC

Old 03-28-2016, 11:35 AM   #62
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Guess your definition of "romantic" is far different than mine. I don't like stinky.
Yo... Wifey - Don't you recognize tongue n' cheek?? LOL

Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:40 AM   #63
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftee View Post
BTW, I have a nice 28 horsepower 1961 Mercury 200 Super Hurricane (one of the "white Mercs") that I'd sell to one of you guys who REALLY loves his vintage two strokes. Unrestored and actually runs quite well. Art? It's definitely "romantic"!

ERIC
Taint nutten romantic bout them ol' Mercs! Ran way too hot, burned up their innards. I was strictly a Johnson/Evinrude guy... back when...
Old 03-28-2016, 11:57 AM   #64
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I challenge those who claim the new small four strokes are better. I ran a buds 9.8 Tohatsu that I think is two years old. Hard to pull start, shakes the boat, heavy and the carb plugged up. I cleaned the carb and it looked spotless inside, but there must have been a little chunk hiding in a jet somewhere. Drilled out the anti-tamper plug so mixture could be tweaked, that helped dial it in a bit better.

I don't like two stroke stink, but take all the pros and cons and lump them together, I still rather have a 10hp two stroke. The amount of pollution from these things is trivial when viewed in perspective. They are not run in inner city Los Angeles like leaf blowers are.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:23 PM   #65
Art
Guru

Am I correct... having heard... that 2 stroke o/b engines run cleaner (i.e. burn oil laden gasoline more efficiently) when revved to higher rpm, especially when under load? And, that the unburned fuel/oil smoke emitted when same engine is on idle with no load is not representative of the cleaner operations while engine is under load/use for increased boat speed. This seems logical.

If increased efficiency as I mention above is true - can anyone provide the stats on increased efficiency ratio when 2 stroke engine is in use for propulsion-load and simply not sitting at idle with no load?
Old 03-28-2016, 12:30 PM   #66

City: Gainesville, FL
Can't give stats, but remember, ONLY two-strokes have "oil laden gasoline". Four strokes keep their lubricating oil in their crankcases and out of the combustion chamber.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:54 PM   #67
Veteran Member

City: Toledo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Am I correct... having heard... that 2 stroke o/b engines run cleaner (i.e. burn oil laden gasoline more efficiently) when revved to higher rpm, especially when under load? And, that the unburned fuel/oil smoke emitted when same engine is on idle with no load is not representative of the cleaner operations while engine is under load/use for increased boat speed. This seems logical.

If increased efficiency as I mention above is true - can anyone provide the stats on increased efficiency ratio when 2 stroke engine is in use for propulsion-load and simply not sitting at idle with no load?
This would be true for older 2-strokes or smaller 2 strokes. Modern Electronic DFI 2 strokes like the new evenrude are incredibly clean burning even at idle and actually in overall economy edge out the 4 strokes.
devorenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:57 PM   #68
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftee View Post
Can't give stats, but remember, ONLY two-strokes have "oil laden gasoline". Four strokes keep their lubricating oil in their crankcases and out of the combustion chamber.
Duh! - LOL

Less of course the 4 stroke oil ring breaks - and - of course when oil needs to be changed!
Old 03-28-2016, 01:07 PM   #69
Guru

Two strokes even at power do not burn clean. The fuel/air charge used to scavenge the cylinder ends up with a good bit getting out the exhaust ports. The extra fuel they use over a four stroke is a good measure of the unburned fuel going out the exhaust.

Not an issue with direct injected twos like ETEC, Optimax and HPDI. Those the fuel is injected after the exhaust ports are closed.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:22 PM   #70
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by devorenm View Post
This would be true for older 2-strokes or smaller 2 strokes. Modern Electronic DFI 2 strokes like the new evenrude are incredibly clean burning even at idle and actually in overall economy edge out the 4 strokes.
Interesting. Then lets go a step further...

With DFI (and other new design) 2 stroke outboard engines incredibly clean burning: What is their emissions ratio compared to same size 4 stroke outboard?

Oil Usage Numbers Game; i.e., "2 stroke - vs - 4 stroke":

2 stroke with 50 to 1 oil to gasoline ratio mixture burns approx 1 qt to 6 gallons. Notice I used the word burns... which means the oil (mixed with gas) becomes part of the energy producing fuel mix. Therefore, if DFI 2 stroke engine is efficient enough the oil with gas mix may represent a best case scenario for helping to maintain environmental cleanliness??

- - on the other hand - -

4 stroke with oil in crankcase needs to have oil changed on certain number hour usage. That old oil needs to be dealt with in some potentially polluting way. Therefore, the 4 stroke engine may not represent a best case scenario for helping to maintain environmental cleanliness??

Answers - Anyone??
Old 03-28-2016, 01:40 PM   #71
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Tohatsu 20

I love the smell of two stroke in the morning. Cold morning clearing the windows of dew, warming up the outboard. Love the horse power to weight ratio, my ability to fix on the run , the reliability. But they be getting old, the seals are gettin brittle, the parts are getting hard to find and expensive.

I rebuilt my last one a couple of years ago , 35 Evinrude 90's era.
I managed another 6 months, before a seal let go , would run great if you could get it fired up.

I really wanted the new E Tech 30 , back to that horse power . weight deal. But one computer fail and a limited warranty scared me off.

Ended up with a Tohatsu 20 hp long shaft in March of 2015. Dollar for dollar I could buy two for the coast of the 25, 30 E tech. Plus the Tohatsu has a 5 year warranty and is sound older tech ( kinda ). Assembled in Texas , along with being labeled by other manufacturers, helps with service , and parts.

I beat the crap out of this little motor, and love the electric start. Tangle rope in the prop, over dead heads, grind the prop through sand and gravel, used in freezing weather, etc etc. I am happy after the first year. I hope to get a couple out of it. Sure I miss the power, but it gets the job done just fine, and the fuel consumption is sweet.

My 2 cents
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	April 1 , outboard rebuild 2014 094.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	50165  
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #72
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
I challenge those who claim the new small four strokes are better. I ran a buds 9.8 Tohatsu that I think is two years old. Hard to pull start, shakes the boat, heavy and the carb plugged up. I cleaned the carb and it looked spotless inside, but there must have been a little chunk hiding in a jet somewhere. Drilled out the anti-tamper plug so mixture could be tweaked, that helped dial it in a bit better.

I don't like two stroke stink, but take all the pros and cons and lump them together, I still rather have a 10hp two stroke. The amount of pollution from these things is trivial when viewed in perspective. They are not run in inner city Los Angeles like leaf blowers are.
Roger that, Ski
Old 03-28-2016, 04:27 PM   #73
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Yo... Wifey - Don't you recognize tongue n' cheek?? LOL
Wifey B: Don't you?
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:28 PM   #74
Art
Guru

Quote:
Wifey B: Don't you?
Don't you?

This could go on forever!!
Old 03-28-2016, 08:50 PM   #75
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: Four Strokes.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:07 PM   #76
Guru

Quote:
Interesting. Then lets go a step further...

With DFI (and other new design) 2 stroke outboard engines incredibly clean burning: What is their emissions ratio compared to same size 4 stroke outboard?

Oil Usage Numbers Game; i.e., "2 stroke - vs - 4 stroke":

2 stroke with 50 to 1 oil to gasoline ratio mixture burns approx 1 qt to 6 gallons. Notice I used the word burns... which means the oil (mixed with gas) becomes part of the energy producing fuel mix. Therefore, if DFI 2 stroke engine is efficient enough the oil with gas mix may represent a best case scenario for helping to maintain environmental cleanliness??

- - on the other hand - -

4 stroke with oil in crankcase needs to have oil changed on certain number hour usage. That old o il needs to be dealt with in some potentially polluting way. Therefore, the 4 stroke engine may not represent a best case scenario for helping to maintain environmental cleanliness??

Answers - Anyone??
DFI two stroke injects the oil into the crankcase where it can lube the bearings and underside of the pistons. The fuel is injected after the ports close so no fuel lost. But a good bit of oil is lost out the ports much like the fuel/oil mix was lost out the ports on an old carb two stroke. The crankcase oil mist becomes part of the scavenging air used to chase exhaust out. So not as clean as a four stroke as far as HC emissions into the air or water.

But it is such a small amount of oil that I think it is not a big deal. There are bacteria in sea water that eat oil. Free lunch for the critters, I guess.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:42 PM   #77
Art
Guru

Quote:
Wifey B: Four Strokes.
Like often said... Three strokes, and ..."You're Out!"
Old 03-28-2016, 10:00 PM   #78
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
DFI two stroke injects the oil into the crankcase where it can lube the bearings and underside of the pistons. The fuel is injected after the ports close so no fuel lost. But a good bit of oil is lost out the ports much like the fuel/oil mix was lost out the ports on an old carb two stroke. The crankcase oil mist becomes part of the scavenging air used to chase exhaust out. So not as clean as a four stroke as far as HC emissions into the air or water.

But it is such a small amount of oil that I think it is not a big deal. There are bacteria in sea water that eat oil. Free lunch for the critters, I guess.
Sooo... 4 stroker o/b's could experience a "consta-oil-change" by constantly letting tiny amount of old crank case oil vaporize into "atmo-water"; letting oil eating critters have even more food. Then, the 4 stroke engines could simply have one gallon containers of oil with suction tube attached so small amounts of new oil always replaces the old vaporized oil. Oh what a wonderful deal! Never again would o/b oil change residue need to clog our Planet Earth!

Old 03-28-2016, 10:05 PM   #79
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
My Evinrude e-tech (40) was delivered w the oil injection system set at 50-1. After break-in I was supposed to go to the dealer to have the injection system set to 100-1. I've run a lot of 2strokes and believe generally 40-1 for air cooled engines and 50-1 for water cooled engines is ideal. Some synthetic oil can be run at less than 50-1 but not dino oiled engines. With that knowledge or belief I decided the e-tech wasn't lubricated sufficently at the ratio of 100-1. So when it came time to have my engine adjusted to 100-1 .... I passed. It's my opinion that the only way the DFI 2-strokes can meet emission requirements is to lube them at the 100-1 level. It's my opnion that if it were legal the DFI's would all be sold and run at 50-1. I'm not saying your DFI OB will fail at 100-1 but I do belive 100-1 is on the raggid edge of lubrication well done.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:15 PM   #80
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
My Evinrude e-tech (40) was delivered w the oil injection system set at 50-1. After break-in I was supposed to go to the dealer to have the injection system set to 100-1. I've run a lot of 2strokes and believe generally 40-1 for air cooled engines and 50-1 for water cooled engines is ideal. Some synthetic oil can be run at less than 50-1 but not dino oiled engines. With that knowledge or belief I decided the e-tech wasn't lubricated sufficently at the ratio of 100-1. So when it came time to have my engine adjusted to 100-1 .... I passed. It's my opinion that the only way the DFI 2-strokes can meet emission requirements is to lube them at the 100-1 level. It's my opnion that if it were legal the DFI's would all be sold and run at 50-1. I'm not saying your DFI OB will fail at 100-1 but I do belive 100-1 is on the raggid edge of lubrication well done.
I agree.

MOF, on the many 2 stroke o/b's I've owned, I usually go a bit stiffer on oil to gas ratio. 45 to 1 is generally where I run them. Never had one blow up and noticed no extra clog-up on plugs.