Old 03-22-2016, 08:50 AM   #21
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Classic Johnsons mid 70's to late 80's that were serviced well and not used harshly are the ticket for power, low maintenance needs and running well 99.9% of the time... providing good gas mileage too. Currently have a 1975 50 hp Johnson on our cherry 1975 14'8" Crestliner tow-behind runabout. She's light weight, fast, and economical. see 1st photo

Currently looking at a cherry late 70's 17' tri hull with its original 115 hp Johnson. May supplant that larger tow behind boat for the little Crestliner (might/might-not sell Crestliner??). Boat's in A-1 shape, as is the Johnson motor. Owner has original brochures, sales receipts and all service records. Hope to soon spend a day to go see it, probably purchase it. See 2nd photo

I often run into well cared for classic boats and autos... They sometimes scream... buy me, love me! Must be my magnetic personality - LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1954.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	49978   Click image for larger version

Name:	1970's 115 hp Johnson.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	49979  

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:15 AM   #22

City: Gainesville, FL
The small Honda outboards are still carbureted, as far as I know. Fine little motors, but the carb jets get clogged up if you don't start them at least every week - or if they get the tiniest impurities in their fuel (at least here in Florida.) I sold about twenty Honda-powered RIBs (20-horse and 30-horse) as a package along with our trawlers from '05 to '11. I understand that almost every single one of them has now been replaced with a Suzuki, Tohatsu, or Yamaha. The owners just got tired of having carburetors rebuilt every season.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:53 PM   #23
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftee View Post
The small Honda outboards are still carbureted, as far as I know. Fine little motors, but the carb jets get clogged up if you don't start them at least every week - or if they get the tiniest impurities in their fuel (at least here in Florida.) I sold about twenty Honda-powered RIBs (20-horse and 30-horse) as a package along with our trawlers from '05 to '11. I understand that almost every single one of them has now been replaced with a Suzuki, Tohatsu, or Yamaha. The owners just got tired of having carburetors rebuilt every season.
Interesting feedback. I didn't know that about the smaller Honda outboards. My 40 is fuel injected 4 stroke.

What was the ratio of 2 stroke to 4 stroke in those sales? For 2 strokes, yes, if you dont shut off the fuel and run them until they stop then carby issues are frequent although less common with oil injection vs the old 2 stroke fuel mix.

My Honda 2000 genny is carburetted I believe and my Honda lawnmower definitely is. Both are 4 stroke. Both start first or second pull so far, and neither are started weekly or anything close to it over the year. Maybe they fixed something or so far I've been lucky.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:29 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Looked at a used Honda or two and they LOOK like very well made products, but no experience with them.

I HAVE a 2006-ish Johnson (Suzuki)15hp 4-stroke that suffer perhaps the worst abuse imaginable....sitting. And it recently started up just fine after not running for 2-3 years and ran like a top for an entire day and part of another, working as chase boat for some other testing. Can't complain about that motor at all.

Also just repowered my Whaler with a 2014 Suzuki 60, and love it. Very nice product. But I'm sure they all are these days. Sadly, not enough hours on it under my ownership to speak to durability.

There's my $.02. Best of luck, you probably can't go wrong between the two.
chriscritchett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:51 PM   #25

City: Jarrells cove
thank you all for your time and advice..to answer a few ?..service area is not a problem,I crusie the puget sound for I'am still tied to my job...as for the big 3...I again refer to still working with morgage so price is a big factor..also installing a center console in dingy so another 1000 and last but most inportant my wife says I only have so much to spend LOL Thanks again for all your advice...will keep you posted..Rick
mysticdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:33 PM   #26
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Make sure its an outboard she can start."

This is so critical , to keep the bride from feeling "trapped" on board .

I suggest folks consider an electric trolling motor and battery so "She Who Must Be Obeyed" can do as she pleases with out asking for help.

At the very least , make her the Launch Captain , for every ride to anywhere.

I hear ya FF,
Have an old 70's 6hp Johnson. Bought a new 8hp 2 stroke Yamaha a few years ago. She still liked the old Johnson. We use the Yamaha mostly on a big frieght canoe now. Finally found a good old OMC "light twin" (this one's a 4hp) and about 34lbs. And if that's too heavy we have a Yamaha 2hp single cyl 2stroke at 27lbs. A bit noisy over 1/2 throttle even though it's water cooled but way quieter than the Honda air cooled 2hp.
But Chris really really liked the 6 Johnson. It needs a carb job now.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:57 AM   #27

City: Gainesville, FL
Brian,

Those Hondas were all 4-strokes (pretty sure Honda has never made a 2-stroke outboard!) I am not indicting their build quality or fit and finish. Like all Honda products, they are flawless and beautiful. I also have Honda generators, Honda motorcycles, etc. However, Honda has always used Keihin carbs while the other Japanese manufacturers used Mikuni. Not sure if that is the reason that the little Honda outboards are so finicky about their fuel or not. But the fact remains, because of the excessive maintenance and poor reliability, most of the Honda 20 and 30 hp outboards I sold in the past ten years have been removed, sold (to other poor, unsuspecting souls) and replaced with other brands (primarily Suzuki.)

ERIC
Old 03-23-2016, 09:11 AM   #28
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
We run a 40Hp Etec on our RIB, it originally came with a 40hp Honda (carbureted) that let us down twice, so we yanked it off and put the etec on it. No problems now.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:47 AM   #29
Guru

City: Fort Myers
My vote is for Suzuki. Still waiting for Yamaha to come out with a small outboard that is fuel injected. As others have pointed out, many of the new carb 4 strokes have issues by me (some say because of emissions they are real lean), we see the same ritual every season, numerous pulls, sweat starts, marching off in a huff and comes back with the latest gas treatment to put in gas can, numerous additional pulls and outboard comes off and dropped off to the shop...
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:42 PM   #30
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Hi,
I don't KNOW which is the best new OB, but;
Late last October I was able to get a 12' rowboat (with trailer) as a replacement dinghy; see picture.
Not needing the trailer after getting it home I took it to a dealer.
They stock Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki. His recommendation was
Yamaha, will be getting a 2.5 hp traded for the trailer.

Ted
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	August 124.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	50046   Click image for larger version

Name:	b469d88a-4a30-4dff-af8b-5e7503312e6f.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	50047   Click image for larger version

Name:	52a2bb16-a1a8-46e4-8474-4f53032ddef6.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	50048  
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:00 PM   #31
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
We run a 40Hp Etec on our RIB, it originally came with a 40hp Honda (carbureted) that let us down twice, so we yanked it off and put the etec on it. No problems now.
I've always been very impressed with the technology of Evinrude, but wasn't bold enough to go that route.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:15 PM   #32
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I've always been very impressed with the technology of Evinrude, but wasn't bold enough to go that route.

I've been impressed with the 40 hp, but also have the 115hp etec on the dusky. It's never let me down, which is good but if I had to do it again I would go the optimax route.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:44 PM   #33
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Really nice, Ted.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:20 PM   #34
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
sbu22,
Thanks.
The pictures were sent to me as sales promo (hook?).
Couple of minor repairs and most likely some interior paint to do.
Long straight keel, rows like a dream. The little Yamaha should be
more than enough to push it.
Will take the place of the 9 ftr on the aft cabin top.

Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:11 PM   #35
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I had an E-tech 40hp for several years and had no issues at all. Smooth, powerful, user friendly and very economical to run. Not light though like the old two strokes.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:55 PM   #36
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
New Outboard

No four stroke I've seen ever is compared to same hp two stroke
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:49 AM   #37
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
both bullet proof. whichever you choose will make you grin.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:09 AM   #38
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mast View Post
No four stroke I've seen ever is compared to same hp two stroke
OK - So, let's compare.

Who knows the weight to horsepower ratios for equally "rated" 2 stroke and 4 stroke horsepower outboard engines?

I'm pretty well versed in classic aged 1.7 hp to 115 hp 2 stroke o/b's. Good power plants IMO.

I'm not at all well versed in 4 stroke o/b's. I do hear they are heavier in weight. I've also heard they are not as powerful overall as "same" hp 2 stroke. Maybe that is only because of heavier weight... but I wonder, because I doubt a relatively small additional weight factor would do much to make the engine seem less powerful.

Looking forward to input.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:32 AM   #39
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
OK - So, let's compare.

Who knows the weight to horsepower ratios for equally "rated" 2 stroke and 4 stroke horsepower outboard engines?

I'm pretty well versed in classic aged 1.7 hp to 115 hp 2 stroke o/b's. Good power plants IMO.

I'm not at all well versed in 4 stroke o/b's. I do hear they are heavier in weight. I've also heard they are not as powerful overall as "same" hp 2 stroke. Maybe that is only because of heavier weight... but I wonder, because I doubt a relatively small additional weight factor would do much to make the engine seem less powerful.

Looking forward to input.
Let's compare.

Pluses for 4 stroke

Quieter
Run smoother and idle smoother
Run well at slow speeds
No mixing gas and oil
Less pollution
Reliable
The Future

2 strokes

Lighter
Better acceleration
More people knowledgeable in repair although that is rapidly changing
More torque at same HP.

I will say this. In larger HP outboards, 4 strokes have been accepted much better than in smaller units. The overall performance and dependability is considered, by most knowledgeable people I've talked to, to be an improvement.

The big opposition to four strokes has come under 50 HP and especially under 20 HP. I think two reasons. Weight and low end torque. They don't plane a dinghy as well. Second, is that a lot of small outboard users are either DIY or use mechanics who are not part of a large yard and not going to school regularly. So, both are much more comfortable with the old that they know well.

I would also say that the four strokes today are much better than those when they were introduced. Two strokes had a 70 year or more head start, but as time passes the refinements and changes needed on the four strokes are taking place.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:53 AM   #40
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
I had a 2006 Yamaha 9.9 on my Avon RIB. It was the MOST unreliable OB I have ever owned. In the shop at least twice a year to get the carb cleaned or rebuilt. Finally, a whole new carb. That's absolute BS. As it turns out, this model is well known for being hard to start due to the miniscule jets and passages in the carb.

As it turns out, I had an almost unused 1996 Evinrude Yachtwin 9.9 electric-start 2-stroke in storage, but it had a 20" shaft so I bought a standard 15" shaft, shift rod and a new water pump and shortened it. After 4 years in storage, it started on the second pull. Then I connected the battery, it started instantly. It's 20 lb lighter and I am much happier. I really like the electric start too. I use a small lawnmower battery for starting. The Avon is somewhat faster too, especially getting on plane.

In all fairness to Yamaha, apparently I just didn't use it often enough. Ethanol strikes again! I'm sure if I had used it weekly, or even monthly I would have experienced many fewer problems. The larger Yammy's do not have this problem, just the 9.9 and 15 apparently.

I think small, carbureted 4-stroke outboards leave a lot to be desired. They just can't compete with 2-strokes. I have heard that some of these smaller motors have, or will soon have fuel injection which should solve the reliability issue.