Old 02-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #1

New MT34 Owner

I am in the process of buying a Marine Trader 34 DC and need some help. The boat is located in New York (Queens) and I need to get it to Lake Erie Sandusky). My choices are to have it shipped or to cruise through the Erie Canal to Lake Erie.
Any suggestions? Is it possible for a husband and wife team to cruise through the Erie Canal?
How long would you expect it to take assuming daylight travelling only?
Does anybody have any experience shipping boat by truck? I can get estimates but need to know the shipping height of the MT34 (without mast etc). Does anyone have that information?
Thanks for your help.
werners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
RE: New MT34 Owner

Quote:
werners wrote:Does anybody have any experience shipping boat by truck?

We shipped our GB36 from Alameda, CA to Tacoma, WA by truck in 1998.* The company we used was Associated, which has one of the best repuations in the marine trucking industry.* I don't know if they cover the country or not--- they are based out here.

They used a special trailer that drops the forefoot of the boat almost to the pavement.* This enabled them to truck the GB36 without having to remove the flying bridge.* They told us that the GB36 is the largest GB that can be trucked on the west coast without removing the flying bridge.

The bridge clearances tend to be higher out west than many of the bridge clearances back east so I don't know if an MT34 can be trucked with the flying bridge in place back there.* It will depend on the route required to get the boat to where you want it to be.* Since removing and reinstalling the flying bridge can add a lot to the cost of shipping the boat, you'll want to make sure there is a route available that won't require this.* Otherwise you may want to move the boat on its own bottom.

As a point of reference the cost to truck our GB36 in 1998 was just shy of $4,000.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
Jon

City: spragge
Vessel Name: Isle of Skye
Vessel Model: Bruckmann trawler

My wife and I did the Lower Hudson,Erie canal and Lake Erie, last spring,stopping off in Fairport Harbor.
A beautiful trip with very friendly people the whole way.
Enjoy it.
Jon
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

I had a 36' Marine Trader Sedan transported by truck.* The bridge, rails, mast, and seats all had to be removed from the top deck.* It would probably be be the same for a 34'.* It just took an afternoon to put it all back together.* It would be a great trip.* Run her on her own bottom if you can.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl

I would wait for the weather to break (read - spring!) and run it on its own bottom. Several day trips to become familiar with the boat and then go for it. Queens to Albany is 2 long daylight only days.
If you are a little unsure, hire a Captain for all or part. This is an easy husband/wife trip. Costs will be much less than trucking and you get an adventure to boot. By all reports, this boat seems to be in good shape
and well cared for. Maybe have the fuel tanks cleaned, fuel polished and go. Don't worry about Rocna anchors or other "MUST HAVE"S" of the week.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic

Quote:
werners wrote:

I am in the process of buying a Marine Trader 34 DC and need some help. The boat is located in New York (Queens) and I need to get it to Lake Erie Sandusky). My choices are to have it shipped or to cruise through the Erie Canal to Lake Erie.
Any suggestions? Is it possible for a husband and wife team to cruise through the Erie Canal?
How long would you expect it to take assuming daylight travelling only?
Does anybody have any experience shipping boat by truck? I can get estimates but need to know the shipping height of the MT34 (without mast etc). Does anyone have that information?
Thanks for your help.

Congrats,** Take the trip by boat.* We have done part of it you will love it.

Go the the New York State Canal site on line and check* it out.* You can get a info pack mailed to you.

You will have to wait*till the Canal is open for the Season.*

Check it out.* JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #7

I think Netflix has some DVD's of "Cruising the Erie Canal" or something like that, which you could rent.
I talked to Artie about the boat, seemed really nice, but I had already put a deposit on a MT 43 in Maine...
7tiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #8

Hi Carl,
Thanks for responding. I have to confess that I learned about the boat from your post and contacted Artie subsequently. I have been looking for a trawler for quite some time and this one seemed like a good deal.
werners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #9
Guru

4 (or was it 5?)*years ago we bought our 40 Albin in Rochester, NY and cruised her to Mystic, Ct. Similar to the trip you are contemplating.* We bought the boat in early November, too late to run so we worked on her thru the winter/spring and ran the boat (first mate and I ) *home in mid May.
We alloted 2 weeks for the trip, but it took 10 days including one day while we waited for weather while anchopred in Manhassett Bay.
We ran some short (4 to 8 hour) days and a couple of long days. No issue at all with 2 people going thru locks. After the first one you'll be pros, certainly after you get thru the "flight of five" in Waterford.
Yes it will be a stretch to make Albany in 2 days but if you can catch the incomming*tide you have a shot. Better have a backup plan though and don't be disappointed if you have to use it.
If you want any specific info send me a PM
Jay
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
Guru

My story is similar to yours. Got my Marine Trader in New York last winter and sail it all the way to Montreal in May. It's a great trip if you have the time to do it and it costs very little when you compare to shipping the boat on a truck (got a few quotes around $4,000 for the 350 miles trip + needed to take off the flybridge; the trip cost me less than $500). The only word of caution is the fact you're making a long trip with a boat you don't know (maintenance wise) and you'll most likely have a few surprises along the way (i.e. things that break). But if you're confident in your abilities and you like adventure, by all means do it. Just make sure you plan well, have lots of tools aboard and some spare parts.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #11
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

Werners: *A nice compromise would be to have a Captain aboard, perhaps even the previous owner, for a day or two while you make your way back through the canal. *There will be lots of time to feel out the boat and get some questions answered. *Meanwhile, study up on the systems. *If the boat needs any work, get some costs together over there and in the Sandusky area to compare. *If the boat is just sitting there, make the time worth while. *My own boat has been in Daytona Beach for 4 months now, but I'm four hours away in Miami. *While I've been waiting to secure my residence and dock here in Miami, I've had a ton of work done to it in Daytona Beach with a lot of savings over the costs here. *You've got time to shop around and add something, re-do something, fix something, or who knows what else. *If she's already set-up for the winter, may as well wait till late May or June for the Canal trip. *It knows how to get to Sandusky on it's own bottom. *Let it do it.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote