New member and what kind of animal is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whistledoc

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Annie
Vessel Make
Homemade 53
download.spark
download.spark
*This is Ron AKA whistledoc in Florence Alabama.I am new to the forum as of today I am a retired physician from Texas. Built Annie myself *in Texas via the WEST system*from scratch over a 16 year period. She is a* modification of a Benford designed*45' Friday Harbor Ferry. Kept changing as I built here and ended up being 53 feet. Retired a few year back and decided to take off and *explore the inland rivers. Took off on Annie along the Gulf Coast. My wife had an elderly mother and couldn't go with me so I was by myself most of the trip. Went to Mobile and locked up the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway to the Tennessee. When I hit the Tennessee River I headed upriver and went a few hundred miles up stream.... turned around and headed down with plans of spending Christmas in Nashville. Ended up stopping in Florence Alabama and fell in love with the geography and the river. Called my wife and she came up and spent a week on the boat.. On a lark we decided to look at real estate. Ended up buying ssome dirt and built a house and after 15 trailer loads of farm equipment, woodworking equipment 13 miniature donkeys and other junk we ended up moving to Florence. Just came back from a 1200 mile round trip up the Cumberland River in Tennessee*from Florencee. For those not familiar with river geography we went down the Tennessee to the "Land Between the Lakes" which is a peninsula of land between the Cumberland and the Tennessee where they run almost parallel. Crossed over from Kentucky Lake above the Kentucky Dam on the Tennessee to Lake Barkley above Barkley Dam on* the Cumberland. Traveled the Cumberland as far a Celina which is the limits of navigation. Beyond Celina the river is not maintained and there are no channel markers and its about 200 miles from civilization. Not a great place to get into trouble bending a prop, etc..The *Cumberland is primative at best when you get above Nashville and pass Old Hickory Lake ther are no goouses or docks as the Corps of Engineers owns 300 foot buffer along*the water.**We did not see one other boat once we passsed Nashville which by the way *is a great place if you are into country music and we *had our obligatory visit to the Grand Ole Opry.

So much for fluff...I have a serious question for you trawler guys. People ask me what type of boat Annie is and I really don't know what to tell them. I usually repond with "riverboat" or "trawler". I will frequently hand them a boat card the has a line drawing of Annie and the most common reaction is "Oh, its a houseboat." And my reaction to that, although I never say it is " You can call my wife fat and ugly, you can call my daughter a slut* but please, please don't call Annie a Houseboat."* So, what kind of Animal is it??? By the way visible on the cabin top is a 61 note calliop
download.spark
e that I built. We entertain bridgekeeepers and lock masters all up and down the waterways.

Attachments

• annie at joe wheeler.jpg
    annie at joe wheeler.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 287
  • 241.jpg
    241.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 1,367
  • annie at joe wheeler.jpg
    annie at joe wheeler.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 274
  • 241.jpg
    241.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 287
THAT is a beautiful boat! I think "Riverboat" is a perfect description.

dvd

To me any boat with a calliope is a river boat. *Here is the Delta Queen tied up in Chattanooga. *You may have seen it on your trip up River.

Great boat. *Welcome to the forum.*

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Saturday 21st of January 2012 06:11:19 PM

Attachments

• delta queeen 002.jpg
    delta queeen 002.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 188
Well, it's definitely not a houseboat. And it's definitely not a trawler (actually, none of our boats are trawlers, they're cruisers. Trawlers pull trawl nets.). It's not a tug although I think it has some nice tug features. Is it a boat designed pretty exclusively for rivers? I can't tell the draft but it does not look like the sort of boat one would want to take out into the ocean or even coastal waters except in decent weather. If it's intended for rivers I think David's suggestion of "riverboat" is as good as any. Although it tends to conjure up images of stern and sidewheelers.

Now you could have some fun with people and make up a name that sounds very official. You could tell them it's a modified pushboat. Or go with Friday Harbor Ferry. I doubt anyone has ever heard of such a thing--- I never have and Friday Harbor is one of our common boating destinations. Unless there's another Friday Harbor somewhere. Or else it's just anaval architect using a catchy sounding name. Like Grand Banks, a boat model that has nothing whatsoever to do with the Grand Banks in the north Atlantic.

If it was me, I'd go the exotic route. I might call it a "Star Ferry type," as it has a vague--- very vague--- resemblance to the famous Hong Kong harbor ferries (see photo). Or I'd stick with the river theme and call it a modified Rhine/Danube/Seine/Thames/Nile/Amazon/your-river-of-choice-here Ferry.

Nobody's gonna know or prove you wrong on any of this stuff.

But you're right, it's definitely not a houseboat.

What's it got for power, by the way?

Attachments

• star ferry.jpg
    star ferry.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 179
River Trawler?

That's a lot of boat to single hand and a very impressive home build. Any interior shots and layout plan?

Welcome to the forums! We are going to be coming through your neck of the woods next week! Island Cove Marina just upstream from Chattanooga as our home port. We just bought a boat down in Iuka, MS (Aqua Yacht Harbor) that we are bringing up to Chattanooga this week so will be coming through Florence.

I'll tell you what you have....you have a heck of a gorgeous, gorgeous boat. I would classify her as a riverboat myself. But really, she kind of defies classification which puts her in the "art" category since art typically defies being put in a box.

I would LOVE to see some interior pictures? What is she powered with? Twin or single screw? Draft? Steel hull or??? I would buy a boat like that in a heartbeat- talk about nostalgic charm. Thanks so much for sharing her pictures thus far and a big welcome to the forum. We need more TN River folks here on trawler forum!! :)

Welcome Ron

Beautiful vessel. Although I am quite content with the Friday Harbor Ferry name (yes it is Friday Harbor, WA) that inspired the name, she reminds me of Jays fleet of Florida Bay Coasters.

Just for the record, what kind of boat?

BEAUTIFUL BOAT, that is what kind!

I like the Friday Harbor Ferry as well as the river boat.

Nicely done doctor!

I just googled Jay, as my memory of his past is a little rusty. I see that the Floriday Bay Coasters are a totally different group of designs of Jay's from the Ferries. Jay did live in Friday Harbor for a number of years.

That's one beautiful boat.

Clearly, it's not a house boat. It's also not a ferry.

Could be a "North American River Explorer" or a "Friday Harbor Dentist Special".

-- Edited by O C Diver on Saturday 21st of January 2012 08:22:54 PM

How about a REY....River Expedition Yacht!

Ron,

I was looking at your pics and my wife Chris came into the room. I said "hey hon look at this" and she said "Oh a riverboat". It's not a cruiser and it's not a trawler and it's not a cigarette. What's your issue w houseboat? I do'nt know what a modern houseboat looks like or if they even still exist. The old houseboats of the 20s and 30s were beautiful boats*and I would'nt be insulted one bit if I had your boat and someone called it a houseboat. Houseboats were long and slender and sleek and very elegant. I think Chris nailed it though. And you went right to the rivers w it right off so if you must have a name ....I'd say riverboat. It does look a little like those really beamy and tall steel yachts called * ....Great Harbour. R.C.Johnston designed a boat he called a "River Cruiser 42" that is much like yours. When pressed I'd say riverboat.

Eric Henning * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Thorne Bay Alaska

nomadwilly wrote:I do'nt know what a modern houseboat looks like or if they even still exist.
Eric-- Here are couple of examples of "modern" houseboats.* I took the first shot in Bellngham last year and it shows a more seaworthy example of the type.* The other shot is off the web and shows a typical houseboat of the type you can rent on big lakes or reservoirs.

Attachments

• houseboat.jpg
    houseboat.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 175
  • houseboat 2.jpg
    houseboat 2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 196
VERY beautiful... I too would love to see more pictures of her (Inside and out). Welcome to the forum, too!

dvd wrote:
THAT is a beautiful boat! I think "Riverboat" is a perfect description.

dvd
*Thanks for the compliment. Consensus seems to be that shes a "riverboat" so we will leave it at that but can I still hang out with you trawler guys??? Wil attach a few images on interior. Keep in mind I did most of this myself and when I started didn't k ow the difference between a tablesaw and a screwdriver

Attachments

• bow2.jpg
    bow2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 195
  • img2005-03-21 212014.jpg
    img2005-03-21 212014.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 179
  • dining room floor.jpg
    dining room floor.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 186
  • dscn1857a.jpg table.jpg
    dscn1857a.jpg table.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 173
  • dining room greek key.jpg
    dining room greek key.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 176
  • dscf0083.jpg
    dscf0083.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 183
  • dscf1478.jpg
    dscf1478.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 169
  • deck top port looking aft.jpg
    deck top port looking aft.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 161
  • dscn1848a.jpg dining room.jpg
    dscn1848a.jpg dining room.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 206
  • dscn1867.jpg
    dscn1867.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 174
Holy crap. You picked the wrong profession... you should start building and selling these boats... truly amazing.

Mate it doesn't matter what part of the world you are from that's a "River Boat" and an opulent one at that.
I reckon we would be proud to have you in our company.

Craftmanship is first rate.

Having both ready-to-deploy bow and stern anchors makes the boat "river ready."

-- Edited by markpierce on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 01:30:01 AM

Attachments

• belg river boat.jpg
    belg river boat.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 170
Like I said....work of ART!
Guys I am cruising our new boat right past where whistledoc keeps his boat- gonna have to keep my binoculars handy to scope her out.

Whistledoc, what is her draft and propulsion?

Holy Crap! Absolutely stunning. Definitely a riverboat in my mind. I like the little chair leg 'booties' btw.

sorry dup post

-- Edited by psneeld on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 07:40:05 AM

psneeld wrote:
For years I drooled oved Benford designs and have line drawings of many of his boats.*I went to his office to meet him one day but he was out.

*I like the Florida Bay Coasters a lot and many of you have probably seen a few listed for sale as they are/were hot for awhile.

But sorry to the original poster...here's Benford's own words about the origin of his ferry designs... "Starting with a clean sheet of paper and open minds, we analyzed the requirements of the liveaboard. From this, we laid out the parameters of the ideal houseboat"

Congrats and enjoy a great cruiser...ever get up near New Jersey and I'd be glad to pilot the NJ Intracoastal for you as so many are scared of it :)

-- Edited by psneeld on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 09:30:55 AM

Marin wrote:
(actually, none of our boats are trawlers, they're cruisers. Trawlers pull trawl nets.).*
*Marin not everyone..The result was a new and unique boat type, a bit longer than the schooners, that became known as the Biloxi Lugger adopting modern single or double trawl rigs. *

The rest of the article can be read here.*

http://www.maritimeone.com/id87.htm

Doc., That is one beautiful vessel. *I would say that is American Can Do Sprit in full splendor. *I like the enlay's on the floor, if you could send some more interior shots to my email I would like to use some of your ideas on my rebuild. *krause250@cableone.net

I*would say it's a steamer, with the whistle and all. *You could install a referbished steam engine (small) for the effects and you Sir would have a one of a kind River Steamer

-- Edited by swampu on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 08:36:31 AM

Attachments

• mary at anchor.jpg
    mary at anchor.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 98
Very nice, beautiful interior.
Are those Louisiana, LA, registration numbers on her in your fist post pix?
Steve W

Good mornig again to all. I am trying to figure out the website and how to reply to the responses to my posts. Do I repond to each* *one individually and if so how. I had typed *two long reponses and*one just disappeared defore I could send it *and on the other something locked up and I could'nt type any more. Not sure if its my computer,or something on the site so I will try again.

Two interesting things on Annie are here calliope which I built from scrtch and runs off my laptop in the wheelhouse and her steam whistle which is a 4" Lunkenheimer chime. The calliope was an interesting project and needless to say gets a lot of attention. Its not steam as I couldn't convince my wife to sstay in the bilge and stoke the boiler so I had to make it run off air. Uses a hot tub blower to supply air at 1.5psi.If anyone has installed a steam whistle on their boat they know the issues involved with compressors and air storage an the volume of air to blow a steam whistle of any size. By the way I collect steam whisstles....have about 5or 6 hundred of them in the basement.Biggest response was for more pictures of interior. I had to go through several thousand photos to pull out some to post.* When it takes 16 years to finish a projects like this believe me there are lots of pictures. The last image is ofAnniein Chatanooga across the River from The Delta Queen. Pic taken fromthe Walnut St. pedestrian bridge...

-- Edited by Whistledoc on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 09:50:22 AM

-- Edited by Whistledoc on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 10:03:32 AM

Attachments

• dscn7235.jpg
    dscn7235.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 146
  • foredeck upper with bungs.jpg
    foredeck upper with bungs.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 135
  • dscn6481.jpg
    dscn6481.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 137
  • showletter.jpg
    showletter.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 130
  • dscn6501.jpg
    dscn6501.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 126
  • hawse cleat9.jpg
    hawse cleat9.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 130
  • img2005-03-28 192151.jpg
    img2005-03-28 192151.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 127
  • foredeck ladder railing.jpg
    foredeck ladder railing.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 131
  • dscn3786.jpg
    dscn3786.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 132
  • dscn3776.jpg
    dscn3776.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 146
  • dscf1478.jpg
    dscf1478.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 129
  • dscn1700.jpg
    dscn1700.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 463
  • side deck3.jpg
    side deck3.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 128
  • sofa nd loveseat 16.jpg
    sofa nd loveseat 16.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 129
  • stained glass 2.jpg
    stained glass 2.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 115
  • electrical panel 110v up.jpg
    electrical panel 110v up.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 119
  • stern.jpg
    stern.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 122
  • stairs11.jpg
    stairs11.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 132
  • bow eyes 5.jpg
    bow eyes 5.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 462
  • bow eyes 5.jpg
    bow eyes 5.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 461
  • dscn1857a.jpg table.jpg
    dscn1857a.jpg table.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 133
  • dscn1942.jpg
    dscn1942.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 109
  • dscn3776.jpg
    dscn3776.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 120
  • dscn1952.jpg
    dscn1952.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 127
  • stair7.jpg
    stair7.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 125
Lo ve the lines on the fishing trawlers. Some were used as oyster boats on Galveston Bay where we built Annie. I was looking for one to restore or to find an old tug to live aboard when I decided o build Annie fromscratch

After moving to Alabama from Texas she is registered in Alabama now

If Benford considered his designs houseboats why would'nt Annie be considered a houseboat? She's probably more a houseboat than the Benford designs. With Marin's pic of the modern houseboat I can see why whstiledoc wouldn't want people to think of his boat as one of them. We don't have any of doze houseboats here in Alaska. But I'll bet ther'e everywhere in the south. A houseboat in THAT context she's NOT to be sure but I think what youv'e got there whistledoc is one grand houseboat. Look at some photos of old houseboats and I'm sure they will make you feel better not to mention the fact that NOBODY will relate the modern houseboat to your Annie. She's truly a beautiful and stunning boat. I can't see for sure from the underexposed photographs but the hull looks like it's a very proper and perfect hull for the vessel above it also. In my opinion over half the trawlers on this forum can't even boast that. Did you get that anchor at West Marine?

Eric Henning

Yep, a river boat for sure. *What superb craftsmanship! *She is a beauty.

By the way, I live less than a city block from the Walnut St. pedestrian bridge. *When coming up stream give me a shout. *

Back
Top Bottom