Old 01-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #41
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RE: New member and what kind of animal is it?

Ron,

About how many fasteners/bolts/screws per square foot to hold the two 5/8ths pcs of ply together? I'm thinking of building a boat w a lot of twist in the fwd sections on the topsides of the hull. Two panels would twist better. Did you use epoxy between the two? Do you frequent BoatDesign.net? Too many questions I spoze.

Eric Henning

Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #42

Ron,
Beauty of a riverboat. Having spent 15 years building mine, I have a pretty good idea about what takes to compete.
Sure is nice to finally get out and enjoy your efforts.

Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #43
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Dawg,

Love your hawse hole and Danforth. Like your special design radar arch too. Much better looking than mine also home made. Like your colors and above WL design as well. Where in Canada are you?? Let's see some better pics*.

Eric Henning
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #44

Thanks Eric,
I'm just new here and will eventually figure out how to post a few more pics on another thread so not to hijack Rons.
I do my boating mostly on Lake Erie but have now begun to venture a bit farther north.

Dave
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #45
Scraping Paint

City: -

Dave--- I agree with Eric 100%. From your avatar photo you have a very fine design there. Is it your own, a published design, or an adaptation of a published design? And yes, do post some photos of the boat inside and out when you get a chance.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #46
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
New member and what kind of animal is it?

Welcome aboard Dave.. I agree.. can't wait to see more pictures as well.

Don't suppose you are in this picture are you? or one of those belong to you? My buddy was there last summer and said it was a great time.

Elwin*

-- Edited by Ocean Breeze NL on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 10:27:14 PM

-- Edited by Ocean Breeze NL on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 10:29:09 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	port dover ont.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	9668   Click image for larger version

Name:	port dover 2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	9669  
Ocean Breeze NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #47
Veteran Member

City: Florence, Alabama
Vessel Name: Annie
Vessel Model: Homemade 53

Hi Eric...

Can't remember exactly. Probably about one every 6 inches. In areas where ther was a lot of bend we used 2.5" screws into the frames. In areas where there was no bend we used 1" screws jus t holding the two layers together. Once the epoxy kicked off the fasteners didn't do anything and*I debated wheter or not to pull them. Ended up leaving them in because it would have been a lot of work to pull them and then have to go back and fill the holes. Bought stainless square drive screws from a company by the name of McFeeleys.*They specialize is square drive and star drive stuff.
Whistledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #48
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Doc, Welcome aboard!!!! I live about 2 miles from where you built your boat. I would drive past it and pull off of 146 and drive around your shed and check it out all the time. And then one day, SHE WAS GONE!!! I was excited that I would finally see her where she belonged...in the water!!! One day I was out dinking with my wife and you were on board with your wife over at Seabrook Shipyard in the covered slips. You and I got to talking and you invited us aboard and stuck a beer in our hands and gave us a tour. I know you probably don't remember because I am sure you give many tours, but I do remember your kindness and graciousness to have us aboard. Thanks again, she is a beauty!!! And folks, I know the pictures look amazing but she looks even better in person!

How about "Galveston Bay Coaster"???...:-)
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Hi WhistleDoc!* Welcome aboard. I may have been with Baker when we toured your boat. I too remember driving by your project just off of 146 in Bacliff wondering when you were going to finish it. When I first saw it in the water I was amazed.

Folks, if you ever get a chance to see "Annie", do it! You have got to see this boat.

If you are as good of a doctor as you are a boat builder you must come out of retirement so that you can cure cancer!

Again, welcome aboard!
dougd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #50
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

Don't you just love this website! Just when you think you've seen everything, out of the closet comes Doc with a boat that defies description, and then a feedback from Dawg and his own unique vessel. Doc, I don't know what to call your boat, but Florida Bay Coasters and Jay Benfield designs have always been a favorite of mine. As you can see in my Avitar, I have a mini-version of such a boat. But Anne.....well, it's just spectacular, and no less than an American dream. Awesome work, huge commitment. Wish it was mine.

Dawg....can't wait to see those pics.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Thanks for the kind words from everyone about the other woman in my life... Annie.* Sort of a story behind the name. When it takes 16 years to build a boat I would see people at the hardware store and the chandleries that I didn't see very often. They knew I had gone off the deep end and was building this monstrosity of a boat* in* Bacliff...just down the road. They would ask, "... how's the boat coming? When you going to launch her?"* My rubber stamp answer was "two more years".** Well that went on for about 10 years and then it came time to paint the name on the transom and we decided "two more years' was a very appropriate name for the boat".* About that time my mother passed sway. She had had a pretty severe stroke and had been in nursing home for 8 years. I would go over to the nursing hime and once a week or so we would take her out of the nursing* to eat and sometimes I would take her by the boat. . Not sure how cognizant of things she was but she knew this was my dream. I couldn't get her up on the boat but I would tell her how it was coming and all of the projects I had going on and she got excited and seemed to understand.* When I lost mom I decided that Annie was a good name for the boat. That was my mother's name. Mom worked two jobs to help put me though medical school. So in a way "Annie" is a tribute to my mother. And besides she sorta looks like my mother ...sorta plump in the middle and round at both ends.* This is a little detail. Put the name in the floor in the main salon.

-- Edited by Whistledoc on Tuesday 24th of January 2012 01:50:56 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dining room floor 12.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	9712   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf1542.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	9713  
Old 01-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #52
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Whistledoc wrote:
When I lost mom I decided that Annie was a good name for the boat. That was my mother's name. Mom worked two jobs to help put me though medical school. So in a way "Annie" is a tribute to my mother.
*Very cool.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #53
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Ron, my late wife, my mother, my mother-in-law, a niece, and my wife's grandmother were all named Annie. *I wanted to use it on our boat, but my wife wouldn't let me for some reason. *I always thought it a great name. *Stille do.

Wonderful work you have done. *Bring it back to Chattanooga.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #54
Guru

The name Anne is not only cool, it seems so appropriate for its character. *Sixteen years of creative effort though! *One has to wonder what kind of boat is worth sixteen years of loving labor. *I think you've got it.

-- Edited by healhustler on Tuesday 24th of January 2012 03:48:19 PM
Old 01-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #55
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Our boat approves of the name, but is more than a bit jealous of being so outshone.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #56
Veteran Member

I'd use the handle "Smile Maker". Thats the one I use when I'm riding my sidecar and I get the usual "What is it?"
2DASEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:14 PM   #57
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Quote:
Whistledoc wrote:
Thanks for the kind words from everyone about the other woman in my life... Annie.* Sort of a story behind the name. When it takes 16 years to build a boat I would see people at the hardware store and the chandleries that I didn't see very often. They knew I had gone off the deep end and was building this monstrosity of a boat* in* Bacliff...just down the road. They would ask, "... how's the boat coming? When you going to launch her?"* My rubber stamp answer was "two more years".** Well that went on for about 10 years and then it came time to paint the name on the transom and we decided "two more years' was a very appropriate name for the boat".* About that time my mother passed sway. She had had a pretty severe stroke and had been in nursing home for 8 years. I would go over to the nursing hime and once a week or so we would take her out of the nursing* to eat and sometimes I would take her by the boat. . Not sure how cognizant of things she was but she knew this was my dream. I couldn't get her up on the boat but I would tell her how it was coming and all of the projects I had going on and she got excited and seemed to understand.* When I lost mom I decided that Annie was a good name for the boat. That was my mother's name. Mom worked two jobs to help put me though medical school. So in a way "Annie" is a tribute to my mother. And besides she sorta looks like my mother ...sorta plump in the middle and round at both ends.* This is a little detail. Put the name in the floor in the main salon.

-- Edited by Whistledoc on Tuesday 24th of January 2012 01:50:56 PM
*Your story makes a remarkable boat even more remarkable. *Wow- so impressed!
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #58
Guru

2DASEA: Another fantastic looking boat there. Cheesh....where are all these things coming from.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #59

If your boat looks a little like your mother, she was a beautiful woman. You honored her nicely.

George

METAFORA
Sabre 36
Charleston, SC
Metafora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Thanks George!

She was a neat lady. Miss her.