Old 04-27-2016, 06:26 AM   #101

City: Tampa
I wanted to post a quick follow up.
I received my deposit back from the broker last week.
The new search is under way.

I did get a PM from someone wanting to know why I wont share my survey for the the Marine Trader 49 Salon Bridge? I responded I will share the survey.
This person apparently contacted the broker and asked for a copy of the survey. He was told that the previous buyer (me) would not share the survey.
I have never said I would not and I have never been asked the question.
I will gladly share the information so the next buyer is aware of what he is buying and what the true condition of the boat really is.
Thanks to all that contributed.

Shaunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:55 AM   #102
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Thanks.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:56 AM   #103
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunc View Post
I did get a PM from someone wanting to know why I wont share my survey for the the Marine Trader 49 Salon Bridge? I responded I will share the survey.
Don't share the survey, sell it. It has value that you paid for, why should someone else get it for free ? It is normal in these situations to sell the survey for half price.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:15 AM   #104

Great advice.

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:36 AM   #105
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunc;
Don't go away though.

You and your wife should both take some time to read Boat Search 101 in the General discussion section. If you can, read it separately, compare ideas and then read it together, I think it will help the process. She can read it without the need to join but it would be nice to see her aboard as well.

Also do a search for mechanical and hull surveys. There are a lot of great posts on both.

Next, start a new thread with what you think you are looking for, why you think that way, what your budget is and what you think you do not want at this time. What you are thinking now could morph into something entirely different.

Lastly, I think a lot of folks here were concerned that you were close to proceeding in spite of the boat condition and advice. You just hear the largest group sigh ever.

Good luck with the hunt and don't rush it.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:18 PM   #106
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Don't share the survey, sell it. It has value that you paid for, why should someone else get it for free ? It is normal in these situations to sell the survey for half price.
+1

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:51 PM   #107
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Don't share the survey, sell it.
My immediate thought too.
Shaun, puzzled about this, the new "buyer" had your contact info, and was told you would not pass on the survey. Why would the broker(presumably) provide details to contact you, with an untruth to be exposed the instant you were contacted? Could the broker be treading a fine line between doing the right thing by you without harming his seller`s interests. Just wondering.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:54 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Walk away.

The composting heads should be a deal breaker alone.

The survey is nothing special. Just your average quoting ABBS CYA blah, blah for the most part.
I'm glad someone else noticed that. I hope you didn't pay $4,000.00 for that regurgitated babble.
dsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:04 AM   #109

City: Ft. Myers, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
My immediate thought too.
Shaun, puzzled about this, the new "buyer" had your contact info, and was told you would not pass on the survey. Why would the broker(presumably) provide details to contact you, with an untruth to be exposed the instant you were contacted? Could the broker be treading a fine line between doing the right thing by you without harming his seller`s interests. Just wondering.
I think the broker said this to "discourage" the new buyer from trying to get the info - which would instantly kill the deal. It sounds like the new buyer may possibly be a member here ("I received a PM" wording) OR ON ANOTHER FORUM WHERE OP posted info, and the broker doesn't know about this thread on TF.
tcpip95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:11 AM   #110
Guru

City: Sidney
Did the seller see or was he given a copy of the survey?
Any chance the "new buyer" might be the seller?
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:17 AM   #111
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
I wanted to post a quick follow up.
I received my deposit back from the broker last week.

This person apparently contacted the broker and asked for a copy of the survey. He was told that the previous buyer (me) would not share the survey.
I have never said I would not and I have never been asked the question.
I will gladly share the information so the next buyer is aware of what he is buying and what the true condition of the boat really is.
Thanks to all that contributed.
It's not uncommon to not give away a survey you payed for. At the very least the other potential buyer should have shown a little class and offered to pay you something for it.

While the broker should have asked you, at least he didn't give it away for nothing without contacting you first either.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:12 AM   #112
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Quote:
While the broker should have asked you, at least he didn't give it away for nothing without contacting you first either.
Um, and who's word do we have that didn't happen? Oh wait, it's that same lying-assed broker (has he updated his listing? I'm guessing not).

Keith
Old 04-28-2016, 11:28 AM   #113
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
Um, and who's word do we have that didn't happen? Oh wait, it's that same lying-assed broker (has he updated his listing? I'm guessing not).

Keith
Um, the OP was the one who stated that he was told by the next interested party that the broker did not give the next party the survey. And told the next party the OP wouldn't give it to him either.

So if you're going to call anybody a lier I guess you should direct that to the next party and or the OP.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:01 PM   #114
Guru

Quote:
Um, the OP was the one who stated that he was told by the next interested party that the broker did not give the next party the survey. And told the next party the OP wouldn't give it to him either.

So if you're going to call anybody a lier I guess you should direct that to the next party and or the OP.
Fair enough, but we don't know that the "next buyer" is not the broker. Or the seller.

Keith
Old 04-28-2016, 02:28 PM   #115
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
Fair enough, but we don't know that the "next buyer" is not the broker. Or the seller.

Keith
The next buyer called the OP. I'm guessing the OP could at least tell if he was talking to the broker or not.

And the seller should know the results of the survey. There is rarely a point in not sharing the findings with the seller.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:58 PM   #116

The PM was off another site. Turns out the PM was from someone I know who was testing the broker.
They saw the listing price has been dropped but the listing still said "ready to do the loop", which he knew was BS, as there is 70k worth of work to be done before leaving the dock.
He emailed the broker and said he was interested in the boat and what type of condition it was in and if there was a recent survey done. He was told that the boat needed a little TLC and there was a survey but the buyer would not release it.
Turns out both were BS as 70k worth of work is not TLC and the boat being listed at 80K now was laughable. I would not pay 20K for it. He also wanted to see if I had been contacted and asked to share the survey, which I had not.
I will sell the survey if asked, but I doubt they would want me involved in any further dealings with the boat, as I know the real situation.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:32 PM   #117
Guru

Quote:
The PM was off another site. Turns out the PM was from someone I know who was testing the broker.
And again that broker said something that wasn't true (about you not releasing the survey). But I am somewhat mollified to hear that he amended the listing (and the price was reduced accordingly).
Old 04-28-2016, 11:34 PM   #118

City: Ft. Myers, FL
This broker is a total POS. Wasn't this the guy who you said you were giving the benefit of the doubt about the true condition of the boat? Well, there is no doubt anymore in my mind. I wouldn't buy popcorn from him.
tcpip95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:14 AM   #119
Guru

City: Northport
"And again that broker said something that wasn't true (about you not releasing the survey)."

"Wasn't this the guy who you said you were giving the benefit of the doubt about the true condition of the boat? Well, there is no doubt anymore in my mind. I wouldn't buy popcorn from him"

I would agree with all this and say it is very accurate.
Problem is that I see this as being quite common after recent experiences with many brokers.
Unfortunately there is a lot of homework to do even before you go see a boat if you want to get close to half the truth.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:47 AM   #120
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
"And again that broker said something that wasn't true (about you not releasing the survey)."

"Wasn't this the guy who you said you were giving the benefit of the doubt about the true condition of the boat? Well, there is no doubt anymore in my mind. I wouldn't buy popcorn from him"

I would agree with all this and say it is very accurate.
Problem is that I see this as being quite common after recent experiences with many brokers.
Unfortunately there is a lot of homework to do even before you go see a boat if you want to get close to half the truth.
And once again this points to the value of carefully selecting a buyer's broker and not just going to seller's brokers.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
europa, martine trader, pilothouse, salon bridge, survey