Old 04-12-2016, 12:49 PM   #21
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
All of the above, but firstly walk away from this one.

This is a money pit waiting for a sucker.

DON"T throw any more good money after bad.

Trust your surveyor.

Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:57 PM   #22
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Just had a closer look at the Yacht World and soldboats photos. I'd put some money on the table that this boat is the second one in the soldboats list I posted above. ie. it was sold in December 2011 for $57k

boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:20 PM   #23

City: Tampa
Wow

Thanks you for such awesome responses. I am honored that so many people are willing to give up their time to provide me with some guidance.

I have been asked so many questions so I will try respond in a single email and forgive me if I don't answer all of them.

So, I grew up surfing, fishing and boating the waters of Southern Africa and moved to the USA 20 yrs ago where I have been surfing, fishing and boating the water of Florida and the Caribbean.

Until recently I ran center console fishing boats until the BOSS said it time to spend more time cruising than fishing.

While I have not been a cruiser before we have spent time on our friends boat in the Caribbean cruising there.

Back to the boat, I have attached the summary page of the survey at the end of the thread. THAT IS THE BOAT HAWGWASH!!!

I own rental properties and I remodel homes and I am trying to retire from fixing things rather than retire to it. I understand boating and there is always something to fix, but while I can and I am willing to fix this boat, it has to be worth my while. I would honestly prefer something I don't have to fix and can go cruising.

I was told that its impossible to bring a boat from the west coast as there is no way to transport it as they cant fit under bridges for road and if that is an option BandB, I would love to find out more.

The MRS was the one who said lest get a bigger boat and go cruising so as to how much we have looked over boats together, it has been hours and hours.

I will read all your recommendations and reach out to those members for some questions if needed.

I am willing to drop 100k cash for the right boat, I don't want to finance anything, but will be willing to take on some work for the right price.

I do not have a buyers broker and would be willing to take some recommendations from the members. What I don't understand is surely the broker is guiding the seller to get the deal done. The broker has flown to the boat 3 times and so he has money invested in it.

The surveyor is Peter McGuire and seems exceptionally knowledgeable and extremely thorough, so I do trust him.

Keith, I have looked at some of the Hatteras's, but not sure of that one, so I will look.

The plan is to phase out of the business over the next 12-24 months so we can go on longer and longer cruises around Florida and the Caribbean. We would be living on board while we share a condo with my wife parents who are snowbirds.

Thank you all and I will re read the posts tonight with the Mrs and respond.

Survey results

SYSTEMS:
1. ELECTRICAL 12 – VOLTS: (a) Ensure that all batteries are properly secured with positive
terminal boots fitted and due regard for potential heat build - up and venting of battery gases. (b)
Attend to other DC electrical observations incl. (a) to (h) as described in the text (recommend to
engage the services of a professional marine electrician). (ABYC ® E10 / E11) * * *
2. DIESEL: (a) “USCG A” approved hose is recommended throughout for flexible fuel lines
(“USCG A2” for fill and vent and “USCG A1 - 15” for supply and return). Secure as necessary to
eliminate the chance of chafe. (b) Attend to apparent fuel seepage at the supply pick up points
as described. (c) Provide heat shields below the “Racor” (plastic) sight bowls. (d) Provide
bonding wires to connect the fill fittings and tanks to the common ground / engine blocks. (ABYC
® H33) * * *
3. ELECTRICAL 110 – VOLTS: (a) Attend to various un – grounded / incorrectly wired
receptacles / missing receptacle boxes etc. and install a “GFCI” type outlet in the forward head.
(b) A “Marine UL” circuit breaker panel is recommended for Line (b) with double pole main
breaker, branch circuits and polarity indicator. (c) Provide a DC disconnect, chassis ground and
Class T fuse for the inverter. (d) (Optional) ABYC ® A28 compliant galvanic isolators are
recommended (30 – amp rating each service). (e) Attend to other AC related observations as
described in the text (recommend to engage the services of a professional marine electrician).
(ABYC ® E11 / A28 / A31) * * *
4. THRU HULLS: (a) Label all valves as to function and draw up a master list / diagram for ease
of reference. (b) Double clamp hose connections at thru hull valves (where practicable). (c) Free
up all “frozen” valves and properly cap off those that are not used. * * *
5. ALARMS: Additional alarms as described are recommended.
6. LPG / PROPANE: (a) Recommend the LPG locker be dedicated for that purpose. (b)
Display a “Caution…LPG…” notice at the LPG locker access. (c) Vent the locker overboard to
eliminate any chance of propane vapor from entering the accommodations. (d) An LPG alarm
is recommended. (ABYC ® A1 & A3) * *
MAINTENANCE:
7. (a) A 75 Psi relief valve recommended for the water heater, led by hose overboard. (b) A
pressure regulator and a flow limiter recommended for the dock water system. * *
8. Clean the bilge. * * *
9. Grind out and repair damage to the keel / aft. * * *
10. Continue with ongoing maintenance of superstructure etc., incl. surface coatings (paint work),
sealing and bedding etc. * *
11. Initiate a schedule to re – tab separated internal frames and bulkheads etc. * *
12. (a) Install new propeller shaft and rudder anodes. (b) Replace “starboard “A” bracket
“Cutless” bearing and attend to the “tight” port “A” bracket bearing. * * *
13. Replace the broken lazarette rim drains. * *
14. Replace mild steel (mast) rigging components and the bow towing eye with S/S. * *
UPGRADES:
15. The rig / vessel is not grounded for lightning strikes. Should a system be desired ABYC ®
TE4 standard can be provided on request. *
16. Latest ABYC ® E11 recommends an “ELCI” (Equipment leakage circuit interrupter”) on AC
shore power systems. *
17. One starter battery per main engine is recommended. *
US COAST GUARD:
18. Provide additional navigation and safety equipment as required for the intended use and at
minimum ensure compliance with the “US Federal Requirements” for 40 – 65 foot pleasure
vessels. Refer to the latest “Federal Requirements” for complete details. * * *
PRIORITIES:
* * * Action is recommended before or as part of 2016 commissioning.
* * Action is recommended during the 2016 season / before 2017.
* Action is recommended / suggested as an upgrade. Mostly reflects evolving standards.
With the exception of “devoid of extras”, “PERFECT BALANCE” surveyed in overall
“BUC Condition 5” (“Substantial yard work required”).
Shaunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:26 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Wrightsville Beach
Vessel Name: Searching
Hello ShaunC,

First I would like to say My wife and I feel your pain. We have seen a lot of boats with "Deferred Maintenance" or owner added "Improvements". The boat does look enticing from the exterior photos.
I would say your surveyor got quite a workout with this boat. You should keep his/her name for a future survey. From the Household (not marine rated) hot water heater with its AC lines taped to a support post, to the household fridge that will not run on DC without taxing the inverter, to the AC wires dangling above the headboard, and my favorite; the 19B Plant Master Multipurpose hose being used as the primary fuel line. Manufacturer states it is oil resistant but not to be used in constant contact with fuels! Plant Masterâ„¢ Xtremeâ„¢ Braided Hose | Gates Corporation
These are just a few observations from scanning the listing. Many people have already stated this: Time to move on.

Good Luck

Todd
Todd R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:26 PM   #25

Boatpoker, yes it was, I asked the surveyor for it recently and I did find out the current owner did buy it and did do some upgrades to do the loop, but its not worth double what he paid for it. Its listed in CAD so the price changes with the exchange rate.
The electrical is a rats nest and needs to be ripped out and redone. The current owner/ owners have added and spliced all kinds of crap all over the place.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:28 PM   #26

Boatpoker. You have great eyes as those items are mentioned in Peters survey.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:32 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunc View Post
Boatpoker. You have great eyes as those items are mentioned in Peters survey.
Shaunc, Peter Mcquire has been a good friend for many years and is one of the very best around.
For that kind of money, you can find a good one.
Good luck with the hunt.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:06 PM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
That survey was the best $4k you've spent in your life. I see $50k worth of total work to be done on that boat the way the work doubles as you do it because you find more and more. And that's all before the engine report.

One other thing. "Boat of your Dreams". Unless you're someone who enjoys rehabbing boats, dreams involve getting out and cruising. Nothing worse than buying a boat and not being to use it. It's like paying ahead for your vacation in 2025.

You transport by ship. From the West Coast to Fort Lauderdale, you can transport from British Columbia and Mexico and Costa Rica. However, I doubt seriously that it makes sense in this price range to buy a West Coast boat. We're in the $30k-50k range depending on the boat.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:29 PM   #29
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB;
That survey was the best $4k you've spent in your life.
Not all is lost either, he got to see the great white north in the middle of the winter. Some people spill that much on a weekend in Whistler.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:27 PM   #30
Guru

Your 4K was well spent, the purchase price would not be. You had a fortunate (not lucky) escape because of the survey. And you learnt a lot.
May the search for the right boat go well.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:55 PM   #31

City: Noank, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Shaunc,

The best $1,200.00 I ever spent was for a Mainship 40 that failed survey. Heed the advice.

Rob
Old 04-12-2016, 08:23 PM   #32

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
We surveyed three, count 'em, three boats before we settled on our Defever 44. And given that we lived in Maryland and all the boats were in Florida and I travelled down for each survey, we had a lot more money spent than you have. Money well spent. Sometimes one gets lucky and finds a good one straightaway, more often that's not the case. We ended up with a good vessel. That boat is a never-ending money pit.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:49 PM   #33
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Walk away.

The composting heads should be a deal breaker alone.

The survey is nothing special. Just your average quoting ABBS CYA blah, blah for the most part.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:56 PM   #34

This has been an amazing response and such great input and feed back.
As neewbie I am amazed how great the detailed input has been.
Thank you all.
I am looking to buy and if anyone has a lead please feel free to let me know.
To sum up what we(Mrs) wants is a boat full of character. She says its like owning a wooden boat with out the wooden hull.

I will keep everyone posted as to my search. I have found a few that are 45-50ft and have clean surveys for under 65k, so I will be looking into those.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:57 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Walk away.

The composting heads should be a deal breaker alone.

The survey is nothing special. Just your average quoting ABBS CYA blah, blah for the most part.
Thats quite an insight from just a few paragraphs of a twenty page report.
By the way what are ABBS and CYA ?
Old 04-12-2016, 09:11 PM   #36

City: London, ON
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 Original
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Not all is lost either, he got to see the great white north in the middle of the winter. Some people spill that much on a weekend in Whistler.
Whistler for the weekend I'll take anytime. Hamilton? Ehh, not so much :-)
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:12 PM   #37
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. S. Most of us old farts have nothing better to do with our time. We love spending other peoples money...

Old 04-12-2016, 09:12 PM   #38
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Your spider sense is tingling. Your surveyor is confirming. You already know the answer to your question.
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:17 PM   #39

City: Winchester
For what it worth. Everyone is spot on with their replies. I purchased an Albin 43 years ago that had a bad survey. I spent 20k plus buying new engines from Bob Smith, months on systems that were out of date, and then redid the hull because of the famous blisters. I did all the work myself and it took 6 months full time to do the work. If I had it to do over again I would of found a better surveyor. We fell in love with the boat, something you should never do.
Robfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:40 PM   #40
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunc View Post
Boatpoker, yes it was, I asked the surveyor for it recently and I did find out the current owner did buy it and did do some upgrades to do the loop, but its not worth double what he paid for it. Its listed in CAD so the price changes with the exchange rate.
The electrical is a rats nest and needs to be ripped out and redone. The current owner/ owners have added and spliced all kinds of crap all over the place.
If you buy it, be prepared for the avalanche of messed up stuff your surveyer didn't find.

bligh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
europa, martine trader, pilothouse, salon bridge, survey