The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IMO

Hello. :hello: New memeber here. Thought I would introduce my self. I'm a former Marine from South Louisiana. I live in a small town called Berwick. I work all over the world. Currently I'm working in Nigeria West Africa in the Oil Industry (IMO-I Make Oil). I've been in, on and around boats all my life. I live on the water, work on the water and play on the water. Lucky me!:) Currently I own 5 boats but none are trawlers. My dream is to get a nice boat that I can travel to all the places I want to see and to do it economically and comfortably. I think that would best be done on a trawler. I don't want a huge boat. I'm thinking 35 to 40 feet long. I want something with a full or queen bed and preferably 2 bunks for the kids/guests, shallow draft and a single Diesel engine. Leaning towards a 35 Mainship right now due to the lay out, lines, shallow draft and price. I live in the heart of the Atchafalya Delta and would like a boat that I can use to poke around the Delta on weekends and as a base for Duck and Deer hunting during the winter. Then, during the summer as a base for inland fishing and maybe make an occassional offshore trip. Eventually, I would love to make a trip down to the Florida Keys and Bahamas. Looking forward to being a member of this forum and learning from others.

Sounds like a plan!

232323232%7Ffp635%3C2%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A3%3A34%3B5%3A336nu0mrj

Heading up the Napa River.

Last edited:
Hello. :hello: New memeber here. Thought I would introduce my self. I'm a former Marine from South Louisiana. I live in a small town called Berwick. I work all over the world. Currently I'm working in Nigeria West Africa in the Oil Industry (IMO-I Make Oil). I've been in, on and around boats all my life. I live on the water, work on the water and play on the water. Lucky me!:) Currently I own 5 boats but none are trawlers. My dream is to get a nice boat that I can travel to all the places I want to see and to do it economically and comfortably. I think that would best be done on a trawler. I don't want a huge boat. I'm thinking 35 to 40 feet long. I want something with a full or queen bed and preferably 2 bunks for the kids/guests, shallow draft and a single Diesel engine. Leaning towards a 35 Mainship right now due to the lay out, lines, shallow draft and price. I live in the heart of the Atchafalya Delta and would like a boat that I can use to poke around the Delta on weekends and as a base for Duck and Deer hunting during the winter. Then, during the summer as a base for inland fishing and maybe make an occassional offshore trip. Eventually, I would love to make a trip down to the Florida Keys and Bahamas. Looking forward to being a member of this forum and learning from others.

On my 3rd liveaboard....my last was a 37 Silverton Convertible that had a similar but slightly larger interior VERY similar to the older 34 mainships. I was looking at 34 mainships but an old friend/yacht broker steered me into the slightly larger 37 which I was greatful for.

I lived aboard her in Annpolis for the last 2 years I was stationed in Wash, DC. My girlfriend and 2 sons visited every other weekend for 2 years and I took several cruises for a week or so with them during that time...definitely glad I had the couple extra feet when they were aboard.

I now moved up a couple more feet as this is hopefully my last boat/liveaboard. Now after 1 year...I wish I had moved up to a 43 as a full time liveaboard as I still wish I had that little more space for the last of the storage and niceties suchas washer/dryer.

An Albin 40 sounds like it would fit your needs....I preferred the galley down even though some (particularly women) seem to like galley up...thus Albin 40's for their size were one of the few...sorry I prefer a living room without the clutter of what most galleys look like.

If you can afford newer...that's great but I'm not familiar with the layouts of the newer trawlers in the 35-40 range.

My final advice is....fall in love with a boat and then buy the smaller model. Most people NEVER use a boat enough and you'll get by with the smaller boat. Take the savings and buy nice gear and use some for operating expenses. The exception to this rule is if you are retired or going to live aboard...then the bigger boat is justified.

Either way...good luck...thanks for your service and Semper Fi !!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the warm welcome. PSNEELD, I hear what your saying. But I like to make less do more. I have a 26' RV it's tight but serves our needs perfectly. I have the same thoughts about a boat. I want big enough. I don't plan on living aboard for more than a vacation. 2 or 3 months is about as long as I can imagine staying on a boat. If we make a long cruise I'm sure we will welcome the chance to get of the boat to do laudry etc. IDK just me. I want a older boat. I enjoy fixing things and changing stuff up to suit me. Thanks again for the welcome and advice.

IMO, I just sent a private message to you profile page let me kow if I can help.
Steve W

Howdy IMO - Welcome! :thumb:

May I recommend Tollycraft tri cabin boats as suitable in design and layout for what you describe as your desire and needs. We have a 1977 34'er and she's a seaworthy, comfortable, roomy - peach! Tolly’s were always built like a BSH! However, they may not fit your mechanical requirements. Not too many in 34’ and below were originally diesel (some conversions though) and very few were single screw... but some (until you get into or below the mid 20’ lengths). Might not be too many near you; they are a PNW-seas designed and Washington State built craft. Some did migrate... Search Yachtworld to see lots of Tolly’s in all sizes and models/years. My days on the water began in NY in the 50’s. I’m in SF Bay region now. Tolly’s are the best designed and constructed production boat I’ve experienced. They are first class... and... they last! Ours is near 100% original with her 350 cid 255 hp gas engines rebuilt in their 30th year (2007). She’s probably good to go for rest of our marine-loven lives... :popcorn:

Happy Boating Daze! - Art :D

Attachments

• TO - Stbd in Tules 100_0433.JPG
    TO - Stbd in Tules 100_0433.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 80
  • TO - Both Engines and Genset - Looking Forward 100_0615.JPG
    TO - Both Engines and Genset - Looking Forward 100_0615.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 74
  • TO in Delta Slip 100_0416.JPG
    TO in Delta Slip 100_0416.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
IMO,
Like Steve , I just sent you a PM. Steve is not far from you as am I.
CCC

IMO

Welcome to the Forum. Here is another oil worker for 31 years now. I am building my own boat and i have had a lot of fun.
I am sure that you find here what you looking for.

Regards and good luck

Fernando

Welcome. I live in Biloxi if you ever make it over this way. I know a few boat brokers over here and if your willing to cruise it around I could be on the lookout for a deal.

Thanks all for the responses. Steve and Charles I've replied to both your PM's.

Portuguese, tudo de bom! Eu costumava trabalhar no Brasil. I worked aboard the FPSO Capixaba out of Vitoria.

I am watching the boat sales sites and looking around. I have a bit of learning to do before I make a purchase. I like to be an informed buyer. I am getting a better idea all the time what I want and hope to get aboard a few boats to look around soon. The internet is a wonderful tool.

Back
Top Bottom