The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobc

Vessel Name
Note by Note
Vessel Make
34 DeFever
With "Note by Note" finally in the water and cruising PNW waters, I thought it was high time I stopped lurking and introduce myself.

I'm another sailor moving to the dark side (anyone want to buy a Cape Dory 27?).* After a long search for the right boat,* I finally settled on a Defever 34.* I'm told there were only 24 made.* According the to surveyor, mine is hull number 9.*

I'm not new to power boating, I used to have a 34' 1951 Stephens, so I knew to expect unexpected expenses.* Well, this boat has been full of surprises.* In the end, and to make a long story very short,* I'd put less than 20 hours on the 5000 hour Lehman before being faced with the decision to rebuild or repower.** I chose to repower with a new John Deere turbo 4.* I've now spent more repairing and upgrading than I did on the initial purchase in December.* I did have both hull and mechanical surveys done before I purchased the boat, but so goes boating. * Still, I've ended up with a boat that is pretty much new in terms of propulsion having replaced everything except the tanks (which had already been done), for not much more than the cost of a Grand Banks 32 with an old engine.*

The Grand Banks 32 was high on my list.* The DF34 is very similar in layout, and is probably more seaworthy -- strong hull, softer chines, and much drier with more flare and reserve bouancy in the bow.* The only compromise is on the interier finish, which is good, but not quite as nice as the GB's.** By chance there was a fiberlass GB32 in the yard next to me, so I've attached a picture where you can see the differences in hull design.

Last weekend I made the first trip through the San Juans with the new engine.* It's fantastic.** It's much quieter, and smoother than the old Lehman 120.* I wasn't going to go with the turbo, but was talked into it.* The good news is, I can't hear it whine.

Well, that's probably enough for now.* If anyone happens to be going to Sucia,* I'll be in Shallow Bay Saturday night.

Attachments

• img_0046b.jpg
    img_0046b.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 114
  • img_0026.jpg
    img_0026.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 110
  • img_0036.jpg
    img_0036.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 118
  • df34vsgb32.jpg
    df34vsgb32.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 128
Excellent post , Bob! And a very nice boat!

Nice boat Bob.

The good news is you can be sure of the state of the motor etc. Additonally, I assume you powered, geared and proped for your hull, so should have a nice balance of reserve power, fuel burn and engine loading.

May see you out on the water

Good luck

She looks sharp and from the sounds of all the money you have put into her I would expect nothing else! You should post your new engine pictures though so we can ohhh and ahhh and make you feel good about all that money spent repowering. :)

Welcome to the forums. You will find a lot of fellow addicts here.

Very cool, Bob!! But you left us hungry for more. Got more exterior and some interior and ER pics? Your 34 looks a lot like my Californian, so I'll be interested in seeing the differences and similarities.

I like that cockpit cover and have been considering one just like that. I'm considering one that it is cantilevered without lower posts and 2/3 of the cockpit coverage to allow for fishing and a hookset without interference.

Here's a shot os my hull for comparison.*

img_55495_0_02288f03714a9236c0484290a8220a0a.jpg

Yes, welcome aboard BobC.* Actually your boat has a distinct similarity to my 1975 CHB (Clipper) 34, I have here in Oz.** I can now gain some extra kudos by being able to say mine is very like a De Fever... LOL....

As to cockpit coverings, Flywright, I would just say, it you were considering adding one, or if one day yours BobC, like mine was, becomes really past its best by date, you could never regret doing what we did, and when ours was torn to bits by a storm, being really rotten with age anyway, we went the extra mile, and moved from a set-up similar to BobC's boat to that found now, (and not without good reason), on most new Europa/sedan versions.* It was the best modification we have ever done. Gives far better shade and weather cover, but still does not impede fishing, which is a concern for some with cockpit overhangs...

See pics below...and avatar..

-- Edited by Peter B on Saturday 23rd of July 2011 01:46:27 AM

Attachments

• image137.jpg
    image137.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 129
  • image008.jpg
    image008.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 112
Welcome Bob - You're going to love the JD.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom