New (to me) Mainship 34T

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Molly

Vessel Name
La Bella Vita
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 34T
I made and offer on a 2006 Mainship. Has twin screws plus a bow thruster. The boat seems to be real clean. My survey is Thursday. Assuming the best I will take possession next week some time. My maiden voyage will be from Stuart to PGI, across the Okeechobi water way. Anyone make that trip? Can't wait to bring her to her new home.

Made the trip in reverse, had a great time. Double check lake levels, and if there are any closures. I remember seeing there would be a week long closure of one of the locks for maintenance. If wind gets up, Lake O can get quite choppy. There are several guides to the Okeechobee waterway online, enjoy the ride.

Yeah. I was told to call The Army Corp., they are in charge of the lake. They are closing in late June for maint.

Molly,

Congrats! Nice boat. We won't believe it until you post pix!
Okeechobee water level is high now, at 12.94
USACE Jacksonville District

Ortona Lock will be closed for maintenance 4 through 16 June 2018. That's the second lock from the west.

Overall with the high water level it should be fine. We just came thru W to E about 4 weeks ago, no issues.

A few neat places to stop along the way.
Roland Martins is a favorite for a lot of folks. No real bargain on fuel or slip, but a fun place if you like to party a bit. Music on the weekends, reasonable food, pool available next door at a motel. If you dock in front of the bar, and the band is playing, they will entertain you until 2am. A bit tight in the slip area (there's about 5o to 60 feet to turn the boat around), but with twins you should have no problem. We did it with out 40ft Mainship way back when we didn't know what we were doing.

Moore Haven has a cheap city dock, see reviews on Active Captain. Was told there's a neat sleepy bar back there that's really neat.
St. Lucie Lock, on the west side, has a neat little park with docks that as I recall were cheap and neat... but a bit tight.

You can get thru the waterway on 2 days, or perhaps 1 day, plus 2 half days, as the locks won't take anyone after 4:30, and open at 7. If it's crowded for a morning opening, as it has occasionally been for us, could take an hour to get thru.

Back
Top Bottom