Old 07-30-2018, 09:44 AM   #1

City: Lynden
New, looking at Camano 31vs Nordic Tug 32

Brand new to forum; hello from Lynden WA near Bellingham.

Empty nesters; sold our 22' Glastron 10 years ago but want to eventually explore the inside passage with my Admiral. Eventually would love an expensive 37-40 ft boat but 100K is close to our limit right now.

Right now we are focusing on two different boats that are available: a Camano 31 (2007) and a Nordic Tug 32 (1988; repowered in 98). Both travel at the speeds we would like, both have the options we'd like except lack of bow thrusters on the Nordic. The Nordic is nearly twice the weight!

If anyone has thoughts on these two models we'd love to hear from you!

Looking forward to contributing and learning......

mpstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: La Bella Vita
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
Personally, I prefer the Camano. The only thing is the vee berth is smaller. IMO, Nortic Tugs are very expensive for what you get. Unless it's your last dream boat, why spend all that money? I would rather have a 2007 vs. a 1988. Especially, repowered.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new Camano, by Helmsman. But, $400K? They moved the galley up and opened up the state room with a walk around queen, Great job. I actually looked at a Camano and thought about doing that reno to the older model. I thought about it for about 15 minutes.
They are both nice boats. Check out Mainships. Lots of boat for the money.
Good luck.
You asked for opinions, I have plenty of opinions. I'm sure others will chime in.

Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:01 PM   #3
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
It is all about preferences.

In the PNW where you boat, you might find the pilothouse of the Nordic Tug more to your liking. The Camano isn't really set up for operating from the lower helm- mainly due to lack of a dedicated helm seat. Some have added one, but that detracts from room in the saloon. Probably 95+% of Camano owners run the boat from the fly bridge and if that is what you want to do, then go for the Camano.

Having said that, we chartered a Camano 31 in the San Juan Islands for a week some years ago. The weather was nice and I never missed not having a lower helm.

The Nordic may be heavier, but in that area, particularly up the inside passage in more open water the additional weight should contribute to a smoother ride.

It is all about what you want, isn't it.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
It is all about preferences.

It is all about what you want, isn't it.

David
You said it! My heart wants the Nordic but my mentors caution me about its age; besides that it sounds like banks may not finance such a vessel.

Haven't thought about running from the flybridge most of the time; thank you for your insights
Old 07-30-2018, 03:04 PM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Very different boats.
As you say the NT is much heavier.
If you wanted to run 10-12 knots much of the time the Camano is the boat.
But as a trawler at 7-8 knots the NT is far better.

Our first trawler was only 1/4 the weight of our next. Huge difference. Usta call “wake” when a 35-40’ boat went by. Now I hardly ever say anything. I change course a bit to keep from rolling but that’s it.
I like the NT for it’s wheelhouse and it’s great visability. But more importantly I like the NT 32 for it’s hull shape. It’s a true semi-displacement boat. Happy and efficient from 7.5 to 9.5 knots. Traveling slowly the water passes easily and very gracefully.
But I’m biased as the NT is my basic favroite trawler.

The real problem I see here is that you probably really don’t know what you want. Just because you have little experience. Go out on some boats if you can. Very soon you may want to get other boats “on the hook” and the differences will be more apparent. The more the better. The boat you lusted over last week may be a “no way” boat this week. When you get a list of boats more similar than these two you probably will be making progress.

As to age get a good survey. If the boat measures up walk in smiling with confidence. If not there’s lots of boats. And the search will be fun .. if you have time.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:30 PM   #6

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: NorWyn
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
Love the Nordic Tug and it was a consideration for us, as well, when we were looking but they are, as you note, pricey.

The fly bridge on the Camano is fantastic in good weather - even in winter when appropriately dressed but NOT in a heavy or even moderate sea as the roll gets disconcerting. A Bimini is pretty much a must in hot sunny weather. We have had six persons up top - 4 adults and two teens ~ 1000lbs with no issues in good summer weather.

Helming from below is fine in cold or rough weather. We prefer to stand if it is truly rough as the visibility is better and in the PNW there is so much debris (logs and dead heads) that you need full attention.

Itís been a while since I researched Nordics but there is a great series of You tube infomercials on the Camano which might be of interest, if you have not seen them yet. They include build quality, hull design and handling in an entertaining format.

Economically, we cruise at 7 knots generally - unless we need more power for either comfort or we are in a hurry. So far our average fuel consumption over close to 200 hours since November is 2 US GPH in a variety of weather.

Admittedly biased, btw and, again, love the Nordic tug from everything Iíve seen.

Cheers,

Chris
NorWyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:58 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I don't own either but confess a fondness for the NT. In the PNW I really like a boat that can be comfortably driven from inside. I have a fly-bridge but it doesn't get used very often.

Unfortunately, I also have to agree that the NTs are expensive. However, they are expensive because they have retained a high % of value on the used market. That is a good thing.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:09 PM   #8
DDW

City: San Francisco
The NT may be cheaper, if you look at life cycle cost.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:35 AM   #9
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
We Have 3 NT 32's in our marina. One '89 in excellent condition just purchased for the mid $80's. Very nice boats. Also 2 trolls here....Rather plain inside in comparison. Personally, I would not buy a bpat without a flybridge, but your needs and envoirnment likely figure into that decision..
Old 07-31-2018, 11:41 PM   #10

We've talked with a broker to arrange to check out the Camano 31 this weekend. It checks off lots of boxes that we are looking forward for: roomy, a little more speed than say a NT32, efficient, and lots of home comforts. I did not mention that we'll probably be taking our "kids", 2 grown German Shepherds, who love to travel with us on many of our journeys.

A couple things the Admiral doesn't like regarding layout: there doesn't seem to be a convenient place for her should she simply want to sit near me (assuming I'm piloting). Also, we both should avoid sun and would be content to stay below most of the time, so I'm not sure how much we'd use the flybridge. And it sounds like most others use it a lot.

The Admiral is wanting to look at a 27' Ranger Tug, which is a bit of a divergence from the Camano and NT32. There's a partner's chair to use sitting near the pilot, and there is no flybridge....... but I fear we'll find it small, especially with the dogs. And, there are a lot of other unchecked boxes (AC, generator, TV, potentially larger bed and better galley to start with). Also wondering about relative depreciation with these boats

I am feeling like we need to take a breath, look at more options, and am feeling a little awkward meeting a broker in Seattle to look at a boat when we are still in information gathering mode.

More insights would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-01-2018, 08:58 PM   #11
Guru

Being as you are in Lynden, I would view a flybridge as a liability rather than an asset. When you mention that you should avoid the sun, that really reinforces it.

Definitely look for a boat that has a really good inside piloting helm that will allow both you and your wife to spend the time together.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-01-2018, 09:29 PM   #12

City: North of Texas
Have you looked at the Eagle 32? Similar era to the Nordic Tug you cite, but closer to the Camano in price. Pilot house and fly bridge. Lots of upsides if you can make the layout work for you.

HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:45 PM   #13
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I second the Eagle.
I personally don’t like the engines found in them but the boat is wonderful.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:51 PM   #14
Guru

City: Boston Area
I don't have much to add, just that I find it interesting that I settled on those 3 boats as my first 3 target boats as well....although in different order...I started with Ranger....Nordic...Camano. Good Luck !!

In case you find yourself on a similar path...you may find yourself looking at Mainship 31 Sedan Bridge ( no lower helm ), Bayliner 3388, and the Carver 326 Aft Cabin. The Carver is currently my favorite.

The second group is not as desireable, but leaves a considerably larger reserve fund for repairs, upgrades, unknowns; as they are about half the price of the first group.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:10 AM   #15

We are meeting our broker to go look at a Camano 31 in Seattle. This will be the first boat we've actually looked at with any broker (buyer's or seller's). It appears to be a clean 2007 model, 2000 hrs on a D4, Good option list. Asking $124K. It has been in charter; not sure if that is a good thing or not. Not sure if it is appropriate to post yachtworld ad links here or not.

Anyone run into Blue Seas 31 boats?
Old 08-04-2018, 08:50 PM   #16
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2000 Camano 31'
OP: Yes, post the YW link. It's all good.

I think its hard to compare the NT 32 and the Camano 31.
The NT seems to be on a slightly higher pedestal as far as quality, comfort and build. However, I dont think it's a huge difference because the Camanos were well built also.

But IMHO I'm not a fan of the NT 32 from an aesthetic point of view. I think the Camano wins hands down in that category. Just my opinion! Not trying to start a war. Lol.

Slow Lane
Camano for sale
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
OP: Yes, post the YW link. It's all good.

I think the Camano wins hands down in that category. Just my opinion! Not trying to start a war. Lol.

South of Heaven I'd post the link but I don't want to jinx anything. Besides if anyone cared it wouldn't be hard to figure out which one it is.

My wife and I spent a couple hours looking over the boat. The only thing I found wrong was one loose screw on the fitting that receives the aft door when you clip it in the open position. Wasn't crazy about the hours but didn't kill the deal. Fully planned to look at several other boats today including a Cutwater but decided instead to submit an offer on the Camano. Wish us luck with the Surveys!

Thank you everyone; will keep you posted
Old 08-04-2018, 09:52 PM   #18
Guru

Good luck on the offer being accepted and then a good survey!

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-05-2018, 11:22 AM   #19
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2000 Camano 31'
Wow! That was fast. Good luck, she's a beauty.

Slow Lane
Camano for sale
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 01:52 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: St James City
Good Luck

I guess this may be the first time we can say - we hope you end up in the dog house.

I wish my wife and I could make up our minds that fast, but we are still looking for our looper boat.