Guru

For those that like lots of room,,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137705615@N07/
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:36 PM   #262

City: SanFran
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
The point here is long and skinny are fine for cruising FASTER than most folks are willing to pay for.

A fat boat (think beach ball) will have the least wetted surface and be quite cheap at SL 1.
I disagree with the first point, and agree with the second.

Long and thin boats are very cost effective at higher speeds - thats what is so compelling about them. I'm interested in the Artnautica LRC 58 because of this fact (see details below):

"Starting at $850,000 (New Zealand $, or about $570,000 US) , its affordability is enhanced by the boat's extraordinary fuel economy.

In flat water, lightships, on this 58ft, 14-tonne vessel, we recorded:

• 7.2kts using 0.55 litres diesel per nautical mile

• 8.1kts using 0.67 litres diesel per nautical mile

• 9kts using 0.84 litres diesel per nautical mile.

Different boats will appeal to different people - and thats fine. No boat or design is going to satisfy everyone.

For me - who wants to explore the world in relative comfort and safety -with a focus on the destination, the added speed and seakeeping ability of the longer thinner designs is a big benefit. I'll trade off on the added floor space of the shorter, fatter boats.

I think part of the appeal is also an issue of personality type. I'm used to the fast pace of the technology world / High Tech - and so I really like the aspects of high efficiency and higher speed.

People not in the tech industry might have less of an interest in speed, and newer designs and technology.
LRC58Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:59 PM   #263
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Long and thin considered by whom to be more seaworthy?
I don't know enough to make a call on that one.

Efficiency yes but seaworthyness?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:20 AM   #264

Another new "long and thin" design that is currently in production.

Seems like the high center of gravity might be an issue in storm conditions...

Read the full story below:

The Super Sports 18 (SS18) luxury yacht is 18 meters long, reaches speeds up to 56 knots, is powered by four, 270 horsepower supercharged engines, and will cost just over $1 million. What makes it particularity unique is a raised hull that allows it to glide over the waves.

The SS18 is a strategic stepping stone for us to unequivocally prove to a discerning audience that something radical in design will actually do what it says,” explains McCall. “Once the naysayers have experienced that the vessel does what it says it will, it allows us to go to our step two.”

Step two for the Glider yacht is twofold. First, the company will offer two versions of its 24-meter Sports Limousines, the SL24, which is powered by four high speed marine diesel engines, and the SLX24, which will have two high speed marine diesels and two RR turbines to reach up to 70 knots. These will be quickly followed by the Sports Superyachts, which will range in size from 35 to 80 meters, and will reach max speeds of 43 knots (Grand Touring Range) and 60 knots (SX-E range).

Re-Designing the Luxury Yacht

Company website:

http://glideryachts.com/
Old 12-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #265

Another new longer, thinner (sailboat-like) power boat that is very efficient and (since its european) rather stylish. Out of my league price-wise, but very nice, IMHO.

For sale now, used - details at link below.

Full details here:

AY74 for sale - Acico YachtsAcico Yachts

This 23m motor yacht was designed for long distances passages for the owner and his family. Next to the full beam owner’s room, it features two guest cabins, as well as a crew cabin for two with an independent wash room. Unique for her size is the laundry and the large, fully equipped galley.

Her spacious engine room shows a twin setup of Volvo Penta D13 800, which allow for a top speed of 24 kn and a cruising speed of 14 kn. Her range at 10 kn is 3000 nm. The deep V hull with its straight bow and the stabilisers guarantees for a smooth and steady ride.

Video below:

Old 12-19-2015, 10:06 AM   #266
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRC58Fan View Post

For me - who wants to explore the world in relative comfort and safety -with a focus on the destination, the added speed and seakeeping ability of the longer thinner designs is a big benefit. I'll trade off on the added floor space of the shorter, fatter boats.

I think part of the appeal is also an issue of personality type. I'm used to the fast pace of the technology world / High Tech - and so I really like the aspects of high efficiency and higher speed.

People not in the tech industry might have less of an interest in speed, and newer designs and technology.
So, what exactly do you do LCR58 other then try to sell long, skinny boats?

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:02 PM   #267
Guru

skinny boats

Just want to remind everyone that narrow long boats are not new tech. They are actually a throwback and just happen to be bucking the trend to fatter higher more voluminous boats which are practical because there is barely a ceiling to the amount of HP that can be applied to an inefficient hull form. The new tech part is more likely in light weight construction and tweaks to hull shape and bow entry.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:31 PM   #268
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
No reply??
Boat advertisements should be in Classifieds, not discussion threads.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:40 PM   #269
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Yes, long skinny is old-tech. Still, most people these days seem to want lots of living space and minimal berthing fees.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:55 AM   #270
Guru

City: Seattle
Mr. LRC58FAN, there are plenty of discussions about long/skinny versus short/fat, although perhaps not as many as discussions about anchors and about Detroit 6-71's. I think it always makes good reading. I'm curious which category you fall under:

1) An academic who just wishes to hold a discussion;
2) A salesman trying to push the product;
3) A realist who is building one of these boats.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:20 PM   #271
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Mr. LRC58FAN, there are plenty of discussions about long/skinny versus short/fat, although perhaps not as many as discussions about anchors and about Detroit 6-71's. I think it always makes good reading. I'm curious which category you fall under:

Guys like this thrive on oxygen, and don`t respond to hard questions. Save your keyboard for something important.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:18 AM   #272
FF
Guru

"Yes, long skinny is old-tech. Still, most people these days seem to want lots of living space and minimal berthing fees."

So by popular demand the ROOMARAN !!!,

a 3 story tall beach ball , with oxygen tent up top is the big seller.

When yearly slip fees are far higher than the fuel bill the Roomaran wins!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:24 AM   #273
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post

The first two pics looks like he's #1 ..... Looking for discussion.
But the last pic does tent to incriminate. Could have been just good computer skills and snatched off a real comercial. And anybody can post anybody's link now days.
But a moderator should be able to track a member to see if they just post the same kind of thing every several weeks to months. Brokers usually don't take part in conversation that dosn't directly lead to sales. Their interest is only sales.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:14 PM   #274
Guru

Speaking of the bottom pic look at those flowing lines of the house. Not a straight line to be found nor a right angle. The stuff of custom boats to be sure. A nice powerful striaght stem and that's it for straight. The whole boat is a piece of art. And I think it would be very unlikely to be built in the US .. Or the UK. A slicer too. In fact it may be the most beautiful boat ever to come to these pages. Wonder what the stern looks like?

Old 12-22-2015, 12:03 AM   #275

Quote:

Ah - I'm boatless right now, having sold my sailboat a number of years ago. So - I'm just planning for my next boat right now. Very interested in sharing notes and perspectives with others who are also interested in this type of boat - and learning about all the new variations that are coming out in this design.

Sure - they aren't for everyone, but for some of us moving from sailboats (perhaps the majority of people interested in this type of boat) they really strike a cord.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:24 AM   #276
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRC58Fan View Post

Ah - I'm boatless right now, having sold my sailboat a number of years ago. So - I'm just planning for my next boat right now. Very interested in sharing notes and perspectives with others who are also interested in this type of boat - and learning about all the new variations that are coming out in this design.

Sure - they aren't for everyone, but for some of us moving from sailboats (perhaps the majority of people interested in this type of boat) they really strike a cord.
Well then, I how hope you invite me aboard when you finally get your boat.

I'd love to see how a boat designed like a Destroyer is to live in.

Also, i know many sailors are attracted to the kadey krogen because of its efficiency, both inside and out.

Long, thin boats sacrifice a lot for marginal gains.

That's why I'd be interested in seeing you get one.

I wonder why people like the Sea Shepherds don't get a few. At the advertised prices, with good speed, they have to be more efficient then the Bob Barker!

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:57 AM   #277
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Speaking of the bottom pic look at those flowing lines of the house. Not a straight line to be found nor a right angle. The stuff of custom boats to be sure. A nice powerful striaght stem and that's it for straight. The whole boat is a piece of art. And I think it would be very unlikely to be built in the US .. Or the UK. A slicer too. In fact it may be the most beautiful boat ever to come to these pages. Wonder what the stern looks like?
Watch the short video above Eric, and you'll see. Actually she does look like a very nice boat, and the long, relatively thin shape certainly does not impose anything like a spartan or cramped interior either, from the video. It's just distributed lengthwise, rather like the very roomy canal narrowboat we have sailed in the UK, but wider, and way nicer inside.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:12 PM   #278

Quote:
Well then, I how hope you invite me aboard when you finally get your boat.

I'd love to see how a boat designed like a Destroyer is to live in.

Also, i know many sailors are attracted to the kadey krogen because of its efficiency, both inside and out.

Long, thin boats sacrifice a lot for marginal gains.
I'm of the philosophy that "less is more" when it comes to a boat. Simpler, thinner designs result in shorter and safer transit times, and more time doing what I really want to do which is explore the unique areas of the world.

"Marginal gains" are in the eye of the beholder. Everyone is looking for something different in a boat - every boat is a trade off. I'm just interested in exploring the different issues and tradeoffs within the longer thin design approaches.

I've loved following the Dauntless travels - and at some point I'd like to do something similar, but I'd also like to venture off to higher latitudes and areas less traveled. And I'd just feel a lot safer in an aluminum boat that can handle a "knock down" from a large wave.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:00 PM   #279
Guru

PeterB,
Thanks for the heads up Peter .. what a boat. I love the way the WL beam gets much narrower aft. Most boats are just straight slabs parallel to the CL. I also like the stanchion posts for the cap rail. No ugly squarish flange plate .. the tube goes straight down in the boat .. as clean as can be. LRC58Fan thank you very much.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:26 PM   #280

City: Med
A unique and very high quality version of the concept is being built in Germany for coastal and inland waterway cruising, the Pinasse range of boats: www.pinasse-boats.com (German language version only).
woolf is offline   Reply With Quote