Old 02-15-2015, 01:58 AM   #161
Guru

The NED70 was built and featured in the JD Power Source publication Vol. 1. 2014 on the two pages after my boat. Yes it is a real boat not pie in the sky and the builders and designers are not out on the fringe. The only thing alien about this type of boat is that it does not conform to the cottage end of the boat/cottage ratio. Most who ply the TF don't appreciate long and lean. Please note that this is not a go fast boat it is designed to cross oceans at slow to moderate speeds with plenty of tankage. This boat may well compete with NH-KK for ocean hopping in style and economy. This boat can be bought for less than a NH or KK in the 55-65 foot range.

eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:25 AM   #162
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
The NED70 was built and featured in the JD Power Source publication Vol. 1. 2014 on the two pages after my boat. Yes it is a real boat not pie in the sky and the builders and designers are not out on the fringe. The only thing alien about this type of boat is that it does not conform to the cottage end of the boat/cottage ratio. Most who ply the TF don't appreciate long and lean. Please note that this is not a go fast boat it is designed to cross oceans at slow to moderate speeds with plenty of tankage. This boat may well compete with NH-KK for ocean hopping in style and economy. This boat can be bought for less than a NH or KK in the 55-65 foot range.
NED makes some interesting boats but the vast majority of their sales are more traditional. They build one of the NED70 and one of their solar 50 passenger and zero or one of many of their other designs. It would be an interesting boat to take a demo ride on. Ironically I couldn't even find it on their site although I know it must be there somewhere. But far more designs there that sold boats.

As to the builders and designers being on the fringe, those who designed this are not fringe designers. However, that doesn't keep the boat itself from being on the fringe. Their e-cats are also very much outside the mainstream but very interesting. Zero emission, 40 meter trimaran for 150 passengers, solar, an event yacht, and a Swath tender. If you want to look on the fringes a bit, look at their floating islands. They have classic open boats and yachts as well and that's what they do mostly. They have some wild supersport models, a Megalodon Submarine Yacht, and they did a redesign on an Orca yacht. They are an adventurous and unique builder.

Do you know if they ever sold the NED 70? I ask because they don't show it in their selection of delivered yachts.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:28 PM   #163

City: SanFran
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

Do you know if they ever sold the NED 70? I ask because they don't show it in their selection of delivered yachts.
The full details on the NED 70, with photos of the owner, are on the VRIpack web site here:

NED 70 › Vripack

Strange that they don't have it listed on the NED website: Nedshipgroup | The world of wonderful yachts And yes - they could fill the "Interesting boats" thread with their own designs for months...

An interesting promo video on youtube here on the NED 70:

LRC58Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:49 PM   #164
Guru

I can relate to the NED 70 it is a longer leaner aluminum version of my boat it even has the same motors 30 Hp less version. The NED is aimed more at long range and blue water capable while my boat more moderate, is aimed at protected water shorter range use. MY two year two summer 6 week cruises in the PNW have confirmed the practicality of the design. My take is that it is not necessary to go all the way long and lean and by leaning in that direction in a design and build one can have a better balance between boat and cottage provided that meets the use pattern. For those interested in a retirement home or live aboard cottage on the water that is not my boat and even the 70 ft NED may fall short on the cottage side of the scale especially compared to 55-65 foot typical trawler motor boat types. But for those who need less than a cottage on the water the more boat less cottage side of the ratio can work well. Admittedly 70 ft is a little out there for a mom and pop boat and its not just the price which may be less than big NH and KK its the scale of size 70ft is just long. I believe I saw a NED 70 advertised for $1.6 million.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:20 PM   #165

Quote:
The NED70 was built and featured in the JD Power Source publication Vol. 1. 2014 on the two pages after my boat. .
I hunted down the publication you've mentioned. A good article on your boat, as well as the NED 70 - that other people may want to read.

Here it is:

Marine PowerSource Vol 1, 2014 - Recreational - John Deere - PDF Catalogues | Documentation | Boating Brochures
Old 02-15-2015, 04:35 PM   #166
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
A used (3 years old with 700 engine hours) NED 70 at just under $2m USD.

2012 NED 70 Long Range Cruiser Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:06 PM   #167
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post

Lets collect $ from the post viewers and set up a tax free organization and buy it. We can designate it as a religious retreat. While retreating aboard we can see if classic trawler owners can be converted to long lean and skinny.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:12 PM   #168
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Doesn't appear those long-and-lean boats could maneuver in the typical marina.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:48 PM   #169
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Doesn't appear those long-and-lean boats could maneuver in the typical marina.
That is why we put so much emphasis on anchors and chain.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:18 PM   #170

People might be interested in this presentation by the designers of the NED70 at VriPack (see video below).

Also - the boat has an interesting design for the tender storage - the mast doubles as a crane, and there is a slide-out platform for the tender:

Source: http://www.charterworld.com/news/tag/ned-yacht-bv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post

Old 02-16-2015, 04:25 PM   #171

I've also just been looking at Nigel Iren's web site today. I haven't really followed him for a few years. He's done some really nice designs too that you might like if you're a fan of the LDL types of boats. Here are some images from his web site:

The 41m (134ft) motoryacht HANG TUAH was designed for an experienced client living in the Far East looking for a seaworthy, comfortable and economical cruising yacht. Launched in 2009 the steel hull offers the practical advantages of strength and longevity. A pair of 500hp (373kW) engines give a top speed of 16 knots and a very economical cruising speed of 12 knots.

Launched by Tuco Marine Group in Denmark in 2008, this 62ft (18.9m) motorboat was designed for owners more used to the culture of sail. Having a maximum speed of 18 knots on a single 300hp (224kW) Cummins engine, MOLLY BAN’s easily-driven Low Displacement/Length ratio (LDL) hull can cruise very comfortably at 14 knots on 30 litres of fuel per hour. Drop the speed to 10 knots for a really quiet long-range cruise and MOLLY BAN returns a consumption of just 10 litres per hour (1 litre per nautical mile).

Source: Power Boats Archives - Nigel Irens Design
Old 02-16-2015, 08:55 PM   #172

Another good article on the design process for the NED 70 in Professional Boatbuilder magazine. An interesting read for anyone interested in these longer, efficient designs. Detailed engineering analysis - lots of indepth information.

Its also interesting that the current asking price for the NED70 for sale is only 50,000 Euro down from the initial purchase price of 1.8 Million Euros. Given current exchange rates - this is significantly less than the price of the Dashew FPB series.

http://www.vripack.com.3.cdn.iwink.n...265/2833448420

Pricing information here:

http://www.vripack.com.4.cdn.iwink.n...905/2833448423
Old 02-16-2015, 09:51 PM   #173
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
LRC,
I like the ratio of house to hull. Hull being dominant. Too many pleasure boats have more house than hull.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:09 PM   #174
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
LRC,
I like the ratio of house to hull. Hull being dominant. Too many pleasure boats have more house than hull.

Its that boat/cottage ratio thing again. No secret for most with an artistic bent the longer boat with the lower free board and house profile is preferred in power and sail and it has been that way a long time. The functional benefits of the above formula also come into play. The more recent trend of retired couples looking for voluminous live aboards has tilted a segment of the market toward the cottage side of the scale. Recently the cost of fuel and the scare of further inflation of fuel cost along with the technology to build light and strong has started to drive some designers and builders back to the boat side of the scale.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:57 PM   #175

Interestingly - I just found that the MOLLY BAN is for sale at 600,000 Euros / $681,000.

Details and photos here:

https://www.atlanticyachtandship.ru/...g/view/217797/

And the real listing agent here:

http://www.berthon.co.uk/yacht-for-s...-molly-ban.pdf

and a video of it in action here:

Performance / fuel burn figures from a posting on Setsail.com:

"some figures from the 62ft / 19 metre Nigel Iren’s designed motorboat “Molly Ban”. She is an example of his thinking on long waterplane, displacement hulls; she is GRP, about 20 tonnes fully laden, with a single Cummins 305hp driving a conventional prop. I see numerous similarities between her and your concept, albeit Molly is more a coastal cruiser than a trans-oceanic yacht. She’s been in commission since May 2008 in the Irish Sea, English Channel and the Baltic, and her real world performance figures have been very consistent with the predictions. Her top speed is about 18 knots but the concept was always to have an economic cruise well below that. We thought about 13-14 knots would be about right, although he owner often prefers to come right back to 10 to 12. At 10 knots she uses 10 litres an hour in flat water(about 2.64 US gallons); at 7 knots she uses just 1 USG. Obviously at the upper end of the speed range things change; at 13 knots (2000 rpm), she is using 7.1 USG; flat out, at 18 knots, she uses about 14.5 USG. "

Source: http://www.setsail.com/fuel-burn-ran...gin-for-error/
Old 02-17-2015, 12:47 PM   #176
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRC58Fan View Post
Another good article on the design process for the NED 70 in Professional Boatbuilder magazine. An interesting read for anyone interested in these longer, efficient designs. Detailed engineering analysis - lots of indepth information.
More like no in-depth information. The guy who wrote it was told by his boss, "Sure write it, just don't say anything." No where in the article does it state the boat's actual displacement, or waterline length, or load condition during any of the "comparisons". The author does not state what boat the NED 70 is being compared to in all the colourful graphs.

Quote:

Its also interesting that the current asking price for the NED70 for sale is only 50,000 Euro down from the initial purchase price of 1.8 Million Euros. Given current exchange rates - this is significantly less than the price of the Dashew FPB series.

http://www.vripack.com.3.cdn.iwink.n...265/2833448420

Pricing information here:

http://www.vripack.com.4.cdn.iwink.n...905/2833448423
Initial offering price two years ago is one thing, price to get a new one built starting today will be much different. And asking and selling price can be very different numbers. None the less comparing a NED 70 and a FPB 64 is apples and oranges if you ask me.

The one is an attractive, reasonably priced, fast, stylish coastal cruiser. The other is a FPB......
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:24 PM   #177
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
This 40' Nigel irens is for sale at €120k...

Vedette ARMOR BOAT - RANGEBOAT - Annonce de vedette d?occasion à vendre proposée par le courtier en bateaux XBOAT
Old 02-17-2015, 05:07 PM   #178
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybarge View Post
We all are contradictions in various ways. I know we have some likes and dislikes you wouldn't see going together. So, the one I find humorous on that boat is... It's pretty much a minimalist approach and I didn't think the bow thruster was inconsistent with that (a stern thruster might have been), but no A/C, no satellites, no washer/dryer, no dishwasher. However, teak decking, teak cockpit. Two things that are certainly not necessary and are high maintenance and before you think I'm anti-teak, we have tons of it. But then we aren't minimalists by any nature.

It just struck me as somehow out of place.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:12 PM   #179
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We all are contradictions in various ways. I know we have some likes and dislikes you wouldn't see going together. So, the one I find humorous on that boat is... It's pretty much a minimalist approach and I didn't think the bow thruster was inconsistent with that (a stern thruster might have been), but no A/C, no satellites, no washer/dryer, no dishwasher. However, teak decking, teak cockpit. Two things that are certainly not necessary and are high maintenance and before you think I'm anti-teak, we have tons of it. But then we aren't minimalists by any nature.

It just struck me as somehow out of place.
I wonder if is real teak? I might have used cork or faux teak. Definitely not a cottage on the water but all a couple would need for a two to six week cruise in the PNW and many other places.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:04 PM   #180
Guru

Quote:
I wonder if is real teak? I might have used cork or faux teak. Definitely not a cottage on the water but all a couple would need for a two to six week cruise in the PNW and many other places.
The site says it is teak as I was looking at the detail. Now they could be calling fake teak, teak. I'd have my boat wear teak or nothing at all. Seriously, nothing wrong with just fiberglass for utility. I've look at a lot of faux teak including a good bit a builder had been testing for a long time and samples we got and tested on our patio. I think a couple of them are getting closer, but none of them are quite there yet. Then a few years ago laminate flooring all looked so obviously not real wood and today some of it is very difficult to distinguish. The other big problems faux teak has faced are heat and slipperiness.