Old 09-23-2016, 02:32 AM   #341
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
But if only there was better marketing these would be flying off the shelves! !
Pitching be damned.
Hi Richard,

Nice to hear from you ; did you make it down to Spain from Ireland, and how are you getting on with the Spanish Seņoritas?

Autumn weather has been lovely, but its just starting to turn wintery ...

Old 09-23-2016, 08:24 AM   #342
Veteran Member

City: Vero Beach
Vessel Name: Lucky Dog
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRRiley View Post
I too like the concept of Seapiper though I wonder if the design would accommodate moving the pilot house forward to expand the interior living space and move the outside space aft.

Seems to me it would be a more livable space for almost every use.
Yes, certainly. I like the original design but many would want to use that large mid cockpit for a cabin.

jacquesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:31 AM   #343
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Rustybarge wrote;
"His conclusion : you need a fat stern with a fine entry bow to stop pitching ..... NOT the Dashew & Artnautica 'wine glass' hull shape with a tapered stern."

That must be from a multihull point of view dealing with long skinny hulls. With normal monohull designs my experience shows a wide flat stern and fine entry bow will produce a terrible boat in following seas with poor directional stability. Bad design .... IMO.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:41 AM   #344
Guru

Wxx3 wrote, re the Sea Piper I assume,
"But if only there was better marketing these would be flying off the shelves! !
Pitching be damned."

I disagree .. respectably of course. I can't see the cabin configuration "flying off the shelves". The Piper looks like a great boat and as soon as they scrap the aft cabin and substitute a good mid cabin design something like a Nordic Tug w the wheelhouse a bit further aft the shelf flying will not occur. Or just move the Piper's existing cabin fwd and raise it a bit so one can see what they are about to run over or smash into. And conventional enough for good marketing.

I see the boat is the same weight as my 30' Willard but I still would'nt want 300 gal fuel w 85hp. The hull looks like it would run very nicely over a wide range of speeds. Almost an automatic benefit of the long narrow hull ... that I really like.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:02 AM   #345
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Rustybarge wrote;
"His conclusion : you need a fat stern with a fine entry bow to stop pitching ..... NOT the Dashew & Artnautica 'wine glass' hull shape with a tapered stern."

That must be from a multihull point of view dealing with long skinny hulls. With normal monohull designs my experience shows a wide flat stern and fine entry bow will produce a terrible boat in following seas with poor directional stability. Bad design .... IMO.
But this thread is dealing with long thin skinny hulls; monohull versions of a trimaran, without the floats sort of ...
Old 09-23-2016, 11:47 AM   #346
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
I disagree .. respectably of course. I can't see the cabin configuration "flying off the shelves". The Piper looks like a great boat and as soon as they scrap the aft cabin and substitute a good mid cabin design something like a Nordic Tug w the wheelhouse a bit further aft the shelf flying will not occur. Or just move the Piper's existing cabin fwd and raise it a bit so one can see what they are about to run over or smash into. And conventional enough for good marketing.
I agree completely. BTW, did I read that this boat would fit inside a shipping container?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 02:01 PM   #347
Guru

OK RB but the Piper is fat compared to most multihulls and used to be the norm and that wasn't so long ago. Could be the norm again.
I had a wide flat stern boat w a very pointy nose and you could steer it by moving left or right in the cockpit but it was 17' OAL .. w/o the OB. The thing I like most about the Piper is her aspect ratio. And the boat I'd like to build is 7.5' X 27.5'. But that's not multihull proportions at all.

Dave I think your'e right. You could ship it to Prince Rupert and in a half a days running be in Alaska. Or trailer it yourself. Would be a lot lighter w fluids removed.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:34 AM   #348
Guru

Quote:
OK RB but the Piper is fat compared to most multihulls and used to be the norm and that wasn't so long ago. Could be the norm again.
I had a wide flat stern boat w a very pointy nose and you could steer it by moving left or right in the cockpit but it was 17' OAL .. w/o the OB. The thing I like most about the Piper is her aspect ratio. And the boat I'd like to build is 7.5' X 27.5'. But that's not multihull proportions at all.

Dave I think your'e right. You could ship it to Prince Rupert and in a half a days running be in Alaska. Or trailer it yourself. Would be a lot lighter w fluids removed.
Perhaps the most extreme example of a pointy bow and big flat stern would be the lobster boat hull form; some of the modern hard chine versions have a completely flat aft section , and a very fine sharp bow entry; of course they have a enviable reputation for running 100 miles offshore in rough conditions ...

A hull that is pointy at both ends and fat in the middle acts like a seesaw at a children's playground , the hull pivots around the center of buoyancy located in the middle of the hull.

A hull with a pointy bow and fat stern is like lifting a plank off the ground at one end ; the whole mass rests on the bow damping the yoyo action.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:48 AM   #349
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybarge View Post

Hi Richard,

Nice to hear from you ; did you make it down to Spain from Ireland, and how are you getting on with the Spanish Seņoritas?

Autumn weather has been lovely, but its just starting to turn wintery ...
The heat is killing me. No joke.
Sad to say, but I'm already looking forward to the Pac NW and Alaska next summer.

I sunburned my lips two weeks ago and they still have not recovered.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:33 PM   #350
Guru

Rustybarge,
I'm think'in of boats that wider at the transom than amidships. I had an OB like that. Lobsterboats are the same beam amidships as at the transom or (more preferably IMO) narrower at the stern.

Is that so?
Also are older lobsterboats (50's and early 60's) narrow? All the pics I've seen are of big fat wide boats. There must be some slim and narrow lobster boats. But everyone I've seen throws a huge wake .. and tells of heavy and wide.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:41 PM   #351
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
The heat is killing me. No joke.
Sad to say, but I'm already looking forward to the Pac NW and Alaska next summer.

I sunburned my lips two weeks ago and they still have not recovered.
Life always seems to be full of extremes ... Lol.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:49 PM   #352
Guru

Quote:
Rustybarge,
I'm think'in of boats that wider at the transom than amidships. I had an OB like that. Lobsterboats are the same beam amidships as at the transom or (more preferably IMO) narrower at the stern.
Exactly so, but the Dashew has a fat middle section like a sailboat which causes the pitching.

Quote:
Is that so?
Also are older lobsterboats (50's and early 60's) narrow? All the pics I've seen are of big fat wide boats. There must be some slim and narrow lobster boats. But everyone I've seen throws a huge wake .. and tells of heavy and wide.
I totally agree, but I was giving an example of why the lobster boats did not suffer from pitching and were a super seaworthy design, unlike the slim narrow hull of the dashew.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:31 PM   #353
Guru

Rustybarge,
OK but just how undesirable is pitching? My Willard pitches quite a bit but her forefoot is easy enough that she never slams, pounds or even shudders. Not had any water over the rail other than heavy slop either. The helmsman is far enough aft so there's little up and down there. Seems fine to me. You make it sound like a great evil.

I'm not a fan of the Dashew boats but are they really not seaworthy? Sailboats pitch even w the mast. If they pitch too much they could burry their skinny nose and is that what you object to? And do you really think the lobster boats are "super" seaworthy? I always thought they were just fairly seaworthy. Big wide flat stern takes them out of the very seaworthy catergory IMO. And they would be not even controllable in a mild sea w/o their keels.

What's your opinoin of what causes pitching in more detail than a "fat middle section"? A lot of trawlers could do better w a bit fatter mid section in place of the typical "slab/straight" sides. A curved side to a boat allows the water to slide along much more gracefully .. and efficiently ... IMO.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:07 AM   #354
Guru

Quote:
Rustybarge,
OK but just how undesirable is pitching? My Willard pitches quite a bit but her forefoot is easy enough that she never slams, pounds or even shudders. Not had any water over the rail other than heavy slop either. The helmsman is far enough aft so there's little up and down there. Seems fine to me. You make it sound like a great evil.

I'm not a fan of the Dashew boats but are they really not seaworthy? Sailboats pitch even w the mast. If they pitch too much they could burry their skinny nose and is that what you object to? And do you really think the lobster boats are "super" seaworthy? I always thought they were just fairly seaworthy. Big wide flat stern takes them out of the very seaworthy catergory IMO. And they would be not even controllable in a mild sea w/o their keels.

What's your opinoin of what causes pitching in more detail than a "fat middle section"? A lot of trawlers could do better w a bit fatter mid section in place of the typical "slab/straight" sides. A curved side to a boat allows the water to slide along much more gracefully .. and efficiently ... IMO.
Dashew took this video down from their site....a picture is worth a thousand words.

Imagine crossing oceans with that pitching going on; day after day for weeks at a time.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:42 AM   #355
Guru

Mby magazine test video.

Fast forward to 2.00 minutes in .....Holy crap!

Old 09-28-2016, 12:25 PM   #356
Guru

City: Doha
Wow Rustybarge, those are some sick videos. Even running in the camera boat's wake it is oscillating at some sort of harmonic frequency. I think that boat needs a ton or two of weight up front, it is way too light up in the bow.
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:38 PM   #357
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Wow Rustybarge, those are some sick videos. Even running in the camera boat's wake it is oscillating at some sort of harmonic frequency. I think that boat needs a ton or two of weight up front, it is way too light up in the bow.
Trimarans and Cats suffer from the same problems, I posted a link to Grainger multihulls earlier, their solution is to move the volume of the hull right to the back to stop the hobby-horsing.

Of course sailboats have the wind pressure on the sails pressing forward that stop the pitching from developing , whereas the Dashew uses the same hull form with predictable results !
Old 09-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #358
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Watching those videos is interesting. It makes me thing that I would want some very strong pilothouse forward windows as I can see it nosing into a wave and taking a lot of water straight at the PH.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:31 PM   #359
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Watching those videos is interesting. It makes me thing that I would want some very strong pilothouse forward windows as I can see it nosing into a wave and taking a lot of water straight at the PH.
Maybe that's why nobody but Dashew and one other yard is building these hulls; super economical in flat water, a nightmare in rough conditions .
Old 09-28-2016, 10:41 PM   #360
Guru

City: Doha
Perhaps the motion is exasperated by the wide stern with too much buoyancy? I haven't heard stories of the traditional (early 1900's) narrow double ended trollers pitching like what we've seen in the video.

makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote