Old 02-12-2016, 09:13 PM   #301
Veteran Member

City: New York
I recently sent an email to Dickey Boats , the LRC 56 has my eye..

Genecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:56 AM   #302
FF
Guru

"Re TAD's "efficient motor yacht" she looks like a sailboat to be sure. Reminds me of the days where I was thinking of making a trawler out of a sailboat hull."

Works great makes a fine efficient cruiser , TILL its sales time and most folks are dockside most of the time and prefer a Roomaran.

Remember the very fine one for sale on this site.Winny the Poo.

Took almost 2 years to find a understanding purchaser, that wanted efficiency not just volume.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:05 PM   #303

City: SanFran
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"

Took almost 2 years to find a understanding purchaser, that wanted efficiency not just volume.

Tell me more about this "Winny the Poo" boat - I didn't see it. Where was it listed?
LRC58Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:43 PM   #304

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRC58Fan View Post
Tell me more about this "Winny the Poo" boat - I didn't see it. Where was it listed?

http://trawlerpooh.blogspot.com
Old 02-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #305
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Moon River
Vessel Model: Devlin 48
The W-P is a boat with the essentials of good cruising without the cottaged-up stuff. It is a boat and not what most new age trawler buyers are looking for. The trend is I want something like my land house that can travel on the water.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:41 PM   #306
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
eyschulman,
It's more like "The whole ball of kelp" or was it wax .. than a trend.

W-P was twice the weight of my Willard, twice the money and twice the power. Same 5hp per ton power loading.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:00 AM   #307
Veteran Member

City: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genecop View Post
I recently sent an email to Dickey Boats , the LRC 56 has my eye..
Just an update, I sent a couple of emails to Dickey Boats , wanted more info on the LRC 58, no response, I used the contact from there website..
Genecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:24 AM   #308
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Definitely looks like a sailboat hull from yesteryear. The long narrow design is more sea kindly than a wider boat. The newer sailboats are much fatter at the rear end, much like their owners. When the sailboat industry realized that most sailors are not going to cross oceans, they widened the boats for more interior space.
So, what it appears that Tad did is to design a long narrow full displacement sailboat hull.
This gives great hull efficiency and the cost of interior space. My last sailboat was 39' long and my present power boat is a Mainship 36 which is 36'long. The Mainship has about 4 times the interior space and about 4 to 6 times the usable back deck space.
The sailboat, when under power would get about 10 mpg at 7 kts and the power boat gets about 1 3/4 MPG at the same 7 kts.

Anyway, Tad - nice looking boat. Congrats.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:35 AM   #309
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Definitely looks like a sailboat hull from yesteryear. The long narrow design is more sea kindly than a wider boat. The newer sailboats are much fatter at the rear end, much like their owners. When the sailboat industry realized that most sailors are not going to cross oceans, they widened the boats for more interior space.
So, what it appears that Tad did is to design a long narrow full displacement sailboat hull.
This gives great hull efficiency and the cost of interior space. My last sailboat was 39' long and my present power boat is a Mainship 36 which is 36'long. The Mainship has about 4 times the interior space and about 4 to 6 times the usable back deck space.
The sailboat, when under power would get about 10 mpg at 7 kts and the power boat gets about 1 3/4 MPG at the same 7 kts.

Anyway, Tad - nice looking boat. Congrats.
the flat wide stern on a sailboat has a LOT more to do with making the boat fast/efficient/steerable off the wind than just for room.. look no further than all the fast ( planing) racing sailboats that the stern is practically the widest part of the boat.. they don't build race boats fat just to be "roomy".
beam adds stability.
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:37 AM   #310
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Re TAD's "efficient motor yacht" she looks like a sailboat to be sure. Reminds me of the days where I was thinking of making a trawler out of a sailboat hull."

Works great makes a fine efficient cruiser , TILL its sales time and most folks are dockside most of the time and prefer a Roomaran.

efficiency aside,
the reason "Poo" took so long to sell was is was a cobbled together/homemade looking boat. Most don't want a boat that look like is was assembled in someones back yard.
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:48 AM   #311
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
the flat wide stern on a sailboat has a LOT more to do with making the boat fast/efficient/steerable off the wind than just for room.. look no further than all the fast ( planing) racing sailboats that the stern is practically the widest part of the boat.. they don't build race boats fat just to be "roomy".
beam adds stability.
HOLLYWOOD
That might be true of small race boats that plane. The big ones do not plane and no displacement hull ever will. The wide bodied sailboats like Hunters and Catalinas are a nightmare in rough seas. The slam and pound rather than slice through the water.
Anyway, if you look at the stern of most mid-size and larger sailboats with true displacement hulls, look down near the waterline. the hull comes to a point. The underwater part of a ocean crossing or rough water sailboat has a canoe shape both fore and aft. Also a narrow beam with a heavy keel takes up less lateral space in the water than a wide beam and so, given the shape of a wave. the narrow beam will be stand more vertical - less surface contact is less likely to follow the contour of the wave.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #312

An interesting update on a "long thin" autonomous design (drone ship) by the defense department. I find this type of effort very interesting - perhaps some other people here will also. It certainly suggests that its not too much to expect a couple of people to navigate a boat that is 40 meters (132 feet) long on long distance voyages.

"DARPA’s Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) Continuous Trail Unmanned Vessel (ACTUV) program has designed, developed and constructed an entirely new class of ocean-going vessel—one intended to traverse thousands of kilometers over the open seas for months at a time, all without a single crew member aboard."

Video of testing Below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=gvzmxZkAbUM

another video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=DJ0oW3wcFuo

=====

The U.S. Navy's newest sub-hunting maritime drone successfully completed preliminary speed and maneuverability testing in preparation for its christening into the fleet this month.

A technology demonstration version of the Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) Continuous Trail Unmanned Vessel, or ACTUV, completed the open water drills near Portland, Ore., according to a Defense Department fact sheet.

====

FULL details on boat here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACTUV
Old 04-20-2016, 01:54 PM   #313

Just read more about this long thin DARPA ship... some people have made the comment that they have never seen multi-hulls like this in really rough water. Obviously this is an issue if the ship suffers from a roll-over as they don't recover like mono-hulls, but it seems that the US defense department is satisfied with the design, perhaps it works for the more casual boater. Here is a recent quote:

Quote:
ACTUV is designed to operate in up to Sea State 5 (six meter waves and 38 kilometer and hour winds and survive Sea State 7 (nine meter waves and 59 kilometers an hour winds). Since ACTUV will always have humans monitoring it and able to take control the vessel can be move out of the way of major storms (that go up to Sea State 12). The first ACTUV (called Sea Hunter) is now starting two years of sea trials.
of course, we'll see how testing goes over the next two years. here is the source document:

Submarines: Yet Another Robotic Sub Hunter
Old 04-22-2016, 01:44 PM   #314

City: Doha
So Mr. LRC58Fan, are you moving forward with your plans or creating a detailed budget for your vessel?

I received a quote to build a 70' long skinny boat for about the same cost as a 50' wide fat one. Same displacement. I am not going to be a full time live aboard, so when I start budgeting for marina fees in various ports the numbers are a true deal-killer!
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #315
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
I received a quote to build a 70' long skinny boat for about the same cost as a 50' wide fat one. Same displacement. I am not going to be a full time live aboard, so when I start budgeting for marina fees in various ports the numbers are a true deal-killer!
Even after factoring in the smaller engine(s) and reduced fuel costs?
Old 05-18-2016, 02:48 PM   #316

Hi,

Not moving forward yet - its going to be a few years before I pull the trigger. Still just watching and learning.

Interestingly - I've just learned of a new longer thinner ocean crossing design that is coming out of a new effort by Nigel Irens - the famous designer of many of the longer thin cruisers.

Here is more detail:

In collaboration with renowned designer and Naval Architect Nigel Irens of the U.K., Black Swan Yachts is developing a new line of offshore motor yachts that promise to change the way the adventurous at heart perceive of the possibilities.

The 22m (72ft) initial offering will blend the finest characteristics of today’s efficient low displacement to length sea-going vessels while providing unmatched interior and exterior livability. Black Swan imparts each model with the highest degree of safety, robustness, and simplicity, delivered in a modern-minimalist aesthetically pleasing package.

In keeping with our commitment to Uncompromising Offshore Passage Makers, the Black Swan line aspires to inspire a new generation of adventurers and dreamers – looking to cast off the daily grind in complete confidence – in the pursuit of attaining clearer appreciation and understanding of what a life unleashed has to offer.

Website here:

Black Swan Series - Black Swan Yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
So Mr. LRC58Fan, are you moving forward with your plans or creating a detailed budget for your vessel?

Old 06-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #317

Dashew has launched his new 78 ft long thin passagemaker and I like the looks - much better than the first generation.

Still - with a price of something around $7 million, its out of my price range.

more details here:

SetSail » Blog Archive » FPB 78-1 Cochise: Launched In A Gale – And In Its Element
Old 06-18-2016, 07:49 PM   #318

Full details on the new BlackSwan passagemaker: What do you like or dislike?

Black Swan Announces 72-Foot, Long-Range Cruiser

Black Swan Yachts has announced the design for a contemporary, long-range passage maker, capable of cruising 5,000 miles at 9 knots (3,500 miles at 10 knots, with a max speed projected to exceed 13).

The Black Swan 72 sports a relatively narrow beam, an all-aluminum structural build containing three watertight bulkheads, and a double-hull bottom formed by integral tanks.

She will also feature 2.5kW of standard solar power in 8 panels, and a premium, semi-custom yacht fit-out on the interior.

Based on a shared philosophy with Steve Dashew’s iconic FPB trawlers, Black Swan’s new design is a collaboration between another low displacement-to-length ratio naval architect, Nigel Irens, as well as long-time FPB vets, Todd Rickard and Mark Fritzer. (“Path of Least Resistance,” July/August 2015)

Black Swan will differentiate herself from FPB in a few ways.

First, the design adds significantly to its freeboard, allowing for increased interior volume and a hydraulic garage capable of stowing a 13-foot tender.

LOA: 72’ 2”

LWL: 72’ 2”

BEAM: 17’ 5”

DRAFT: 3’ 2”

POWER: 150 hp Yanmar Diesel (x2)

CRUISE: 9 knots

RANGE: 5,000 nm

FUEL: 2,509 gallons

WATER: 1,057 gallons
Old 06-18-2016, 08:51 PM   #319
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRC58Fan View Post
Dashew has launched his new 78 ft long thin passagemaker and I like the looks - much better than the first generation.

Still - with a price of something around $7 million, its out of my price range.
more details here:

SetSail » Blog Archive » FPB 78-1 Cochise: Launched In A Gale – And In Its Element
Are there any less expensive alternatives?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:00 PM   #320

Yes - there is at least one lower cost option - but only 2 or perhaps 3 have been built so far, so its still early. Cost is in the $600K to $700K range for the 58 footer, and I've heard they are doing some larger versions also in the 70ft range - not sure of the cost.

Artnautica LRC 58 built by Dickey Boats in New Zealand
Dickey Boats Art Nautica LRC 58 built in New Zealand | Dickey Boats

I like it, but while the designer is an experienced designer, the boat builder has never built a long distance cruiser and there is not much test data on the boat in terms of successful long distance cruises across oceans. So I'm withholding judgement for now.