Old 01-26-2015, 01:55 AM   #21
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
I noticed it has a stabilizing sail. Do you think that would be sufficient?

drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:59 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Beijing, PRC
Sacramento?! Why, that's my home port. Not much in the way of Trawlers though.
Edit -sorry, this was in reply to Conrad's photo of the beautiful Cape Horn trawler above.

Dubnuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:53 AM   #23
Guru

City: gulf coast
Perhaps it is just the blond wood but it looks Spartan inside to me. It also looks top heavy in some PIX. I do like the twin keels though I have never been any where it needs to dry out with every tide.

I doo like the idea of a steel boat though I have never owned one and am unfamiliar with their maintenance. I wonder if the hull shape dictated by difficulty on bending plates is good or bad for a recreational vessel.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:40 AM   #24
Guru

It all comes down to how you will use the boat and your personal tastes. The accommodations will make a good live aboard. The cost of maintenance and dockage may be high but there are ways to deal with that. If a good surveyor tells you the boat is well built and in good shape and it fits your needs and desires go for it. Remember no boat is perfect and no boat will please everybody do what's best for you.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #25
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
There is nothing about this boat that appeals to me. Theriault can do good work, but they need guidance, good design and then an little extra because they are a mainly commercial level yard. So unless someone is extra careful you get exactly what is contracted.

Nothing about the interior finish or spaces and arrangement is inviting to me. Windows are small and there's not many of them. The aft deck is too small to be useful, and it's only partly covered. The flying bridge is totally unprotected, from either wind or sun/rain. Fair weather only.

The weight is massive, the power is minimal, so she's slow compared to other boats this size and price level. Two days a year underway yet they needed all new electronics?

The water capacity is limited, any extended cruise will require making a lot of water.
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:50 PM   #26
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post
There is nothing about this boat that appeals to me......................
OMG! I have to get more guts when I'm writing a post! Couldn't agree more with the above quote!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:51 PM   #27

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure
We have a similar layout and it works well for us.
The aft galley has less motion in a seaway which means you can almost always make a coffee or a sandwich underway. It's also close to the cockpit when fishing etc.

Our forward pilothouse is quite high and there is a fair bit of roll motion but it's tolerable and the benefit of having the forward companionway exiting from the saloon rather than the pilothouse is that there is more available space in the pilothouse - so much so that we have our dinette there. Sure, it's a bit of a walk from the galley but we only use the dinette at anchor so it's another compromise we are happy to live with.We like the open layout of the salon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 007.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	36872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 011.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	36873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 013.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	36874  
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:57 PM   #28
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
OMG! I have to get more guts when I'm writing a post! Couldn't agree more with the above quote!
Also completely agree with Tad's comments although I have to assume that it fits the bill for someone, or why was it built?
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:09 PM   #29

City: Southern Baltic
Vessel Name: Sømarken
Vessel Model: AMS 40'
Not sure whether I've got the data right but it seems to me that this nice vessel will get quite a few milage. I would expect less than 1.5 nmpg @ 8 knots - right?

best regards / med venlig hilsen
wadden
Old 01-26-2015, 06:22 PM   #30

City: Southern Baltic
Vessel Name: Sømarken
Vessel Model: AMS 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by waddenkruiser View Post
Not sure whether I've got the data right but it seems to me that this nice vessel will get quite a few milage. I would expect less than 1.5 nmpg @ 8 knots - right?

wadden

Xcuse me (late here in Europe), it is advertised with 8 knots as max.
But even at 7 knots I would expect around 2 nmpg only - am I right?

wadden
Old 01-26-2015, 06:53 PM   #31
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
You should ask his opinion of the Selene 43

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:14 PM   #32

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Nordvind
Vessel Model: Nova Heritage 36
I've been a yacht designer since 1998 and I love the galley aft layout. It's especially good if you spend a lot of time outside. Many take their coffee and dinner in the cockpit which is perfect. Entertaining is great because people can pop in for a cold drink without traipsing through the boat to midships where galleys are usually located on PH configs. As they say everyone converges on the galley and it's nice to have such great overflow space both forward and aft. Nice boat!
Old 01-26-2015, 07:18 PM   #33
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegdesign View Post
I've been a yacht designer since 1998 and I love the galley aft layout. It's especially good if you spend a lot of time outside. Many take their coffee and dinner in the cockpit which is perfect. Entertaining is great because people can pop in for a cold drink without trapeing through the boat to midships where galleys are usually located on PH configs. As they say everyone converges on the galley and it's nice to have such great overflow space both forward and aft. Nice boat!
Totally agree; makes perfect sense for warm climates.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:28 PM   #34
Guru

Somebody is going to love this boat because it is steel big and a lot of boat for the money. Personally I would not ask others what they thought of my boat or one I considered owning that is like jumping into quick sand. If this boat is sound well built appeals to you and the price is right and if it will do what you want it to do go for it. I am certain the posters on this site would find a very long list of reasons why I should not have my boat. that has nothing to do with the fact that I like my boat and it does what I want and fills my specific requirements and perceived needs. If you can find owners of other similar boats from the builder consult with them otherwise disregard all other posts and consider the boat your needs desires and a good surveyors report.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:31 PM   #35
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Dining in the cockpit would be fine for two but i can't see 4-6 people out there for a meal.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:01 PM   #36
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I love an aft galley, but this one seems a bit too domestic for me.
As far as the rest of the boat... - It has a lot of random good ideas that I really like, and the quality of build appears great; but it doesn't add up to a package that makes sense.
AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:24 PM   #37

City: Knoxville
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Vessel Model: 08 Meridian 490 Pilothouse
Bendit Thanks for the pictures of your boat. I like it!
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:48 PM   #38
Veteran Member

City: Beijing, PRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post

Also completely agree with Tad's comments although I have to assume that it fits the bill for someone, or why was it built?
This is a perfect example of 'to each his own' - I love the shippy boat & it's stern galley.
Can someone enlighten me on the pros/cons of a diesel electric? Can this 86hp diesel climb a rough sea?
Dubnuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:47 PM   #39
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
I am going to also jump in with Tad.

The interior finish is a bit lean and a bit more like it was a amateur build.. but the hull appears to be pretty nice in quality but the design lacks in design. As far as the aft galley.. motion back there would be bad in a following sea.. what we all HOPE for in a passage.. where as a mid galley heaves less in either sea (head or following). And it greatly reduces the view off the stern.

I like the ability with the twin keels to dry the boat out and the systems look first rate... exactly what I would expect from a builder that does a lot of commercial vessels. Regarding a previous poster I believe the Selene would appears to be a higher quality level of finish if that is what one wants.

As far as the twin engine part it is one of the few true twins (main with wings are NOT twin engine boats) that I actually like the mechanical layout and would consider.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:12 AM   #40
Guru

This post and the comments sort of reminds me of the situation where a guy would be fool enough to get on the net and ask for a critique of his prospective bride. Personally I choose my woman and boats and don't give a dame what others think. Cant imagine choosing a woman or boat by committee.