Old 10-17-2017, 06:52 PM   #1

City: Salem, Oregon
Vessel Name: My Lady
Vessel Model: Formosa 42 Double Cabin
New Holding Tank Fittings?

I finally got my stainless steel holding tank out with a come along. I have a new custom made plastic tank that I need to put fittings on. Has anyone done this? I ordered the new tank with no fittings because I didnt know where they needed to be until I got the old one out. How do they put these fittings in at rhe factory? Can I do this myself? How do I get flanges inside?? I found a "relocation," diy kit that includes a big port that I assume is to allow you to get the flanges inside and it's got a big o ring to seal it back up. Anybody ever use one of these kits? How do they do it at the factory??
Bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Stuart
Vessel Name: Caretta
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Sedan
Had mine made. Different ways to do it. Does it have baffles inside? Suggestion is to put all fittings on the top so that you don’t have the worries of fittings leaking. And at least an inch diameter vent (2 would be better) you and those next to you will appreciate it in the future.
MYMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:10 PM   #3

Any idea how I install fittings?
Old 10-17-2017, 07:13 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
Any idea how I install fittings?
Buy the kit. I would expect it to have instructions. If not, it should be obvious.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:15 PM   #5
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYMT View Post
Had mine made. Different ways to do it. Does it have baffles inside? Suggestion is to put all fittings on the top so that you don’t have the worries of fittings leaking. .......
If you put the outlet on the top it will suck air. The outlet has to be on the bottom or on a side as close to the bottom as possible. The inlet and the vent should be on or near the top.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:20 PM   #6
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
There are a couple of different types of tank fittings that are do it yourself. Post a picture of the fitting and maybe someone here can help. You also might call who ever you bought the fittings from and ask them.

I have always bought tanks from Ronco Plastics and had them install the fittings. I think they spin weld the fittings onto the tank.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I really don’t. I know they used pvc fittings and pipe to go from the topside to the bottom of the tank where I had them cut the bottom of the pipe at an angle so that if the pipe became dislodged it wouldn’t fall over and at the same time wouldn’t lay flat on the bottom unable to suck the contents out. One for Pumpout and one for overboard discharge. I do remember them having to reduce the pipes outside diameter a bit to be able to fit it into the factory fittings. Inch and a half on the discharge hose side, I’m thinking it may have been inch pipe inside to fit. Not sure, but I’ll bet Home Depot would have the fittings you’d need.
I’ll be back there in about a month or so, give you a hand with it if need be. Glad you survived the storm.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:29 PM   #8
Guru

Are they Uniseal fittings? I think Peggie Hall favors Uniseal fittings.
Here is a video on how to install them.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

They used PVC glue adhesive to put the fittings together.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #10

Thanks folks.. No video showed up but I'll track it down! I have not bought the fittings yet. Peggy Hall! Thanks for reminding me. She will know the best way to proceed!!
Old 10-17-2017, 09:01 PM   #11
Guru

City: AR
Quote:
Thanks folks.. No video showed up but I'll track it down! I have not bought the fittings yet. Peggy Hall! Thanks for reminding me. She will know the best way to proceed!!
Yup...we need to talk to figure out where the fittings CAN go and how to do it. So send me a PM that includes your email address and we'll go from there.

Meanwhile, here's the link to the Uniseal that includes instructions so you can get an idea of what it is and how it works: UNISEAL

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
HeadMistress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:18 PM   #12

Thanks! Sent you a message
Old 10-17-2017, 09:36 PM   #13
Guru

For the smaller hose connections you might want to use a "spud" or "blind bulkhead fitting".
Like the Uniseal they allow you to attach fittings to the tank without access to the inside of the tank. These are threaded so it's easy to attach hose barbs to them. I haven't seen them big enough for the 1-1/2 hose you'll use for the pump out, but for 1" (vent?) or smaller lines they should work well. USI-RV Bulkhead Blind Tank Fittings
Old 10-17-2017, 09:38 PM   #14

Spendy!
Old 10-17-2017, 10:02 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Thanks! Sent you a message
Just replied to your email.

Parks, not only is that thing VERY "spendy," but it appears in the illustration that part of it is metal, which isn't the best thing to use in a waste tank. Interesting though.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
Old 10-17-2017, 10:03 PM   #16
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
If you put the outlet on the top it will suck air. The outlet has to be on the bottom or on a side as close to the bottom as possible. The inlet and the vent should be on or near the top.
Use a tank dip tube mounted in the top of the tank. This way, there is no standing waste in the head discharge lines to eventually permeate and stink, and in the event they become clogged, they can be withdrawn and cleared easily with minimal mess. All of the majors make these kits. No leaking fittings on the sides or bottom of the holding tanks.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:10 PM   #17
Guru

The "sealing grommet" in those kits are Uniseals. Easy to DIY fabricate for considerably less than the kits...the SeaLand version has a list price of about $50!
Old 10-17-2017, 10:47 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
Just replied to your email.

Parks, not only is that thing VERY "spendy," but it appears in the illustration that part of it is metal, which isn't the best thing to use in a waste tank. Interesting though.

Peggie
Yup those are pricy. Call Mac at Raritan and ask him for a bowl spud. Same thing, 1" thread (I think, maybe 3/4), all plastic, and should be less than twenty bucks. You can get them from Groco too.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:40 AM   #19
FF
Guru

Normally tank fittings are spun in place.

A hole is cut and the fitting is placed on the hole ans a good sized (2hp) router with a fitting simply spins the fitting till both the firring and tank melt a bit from the friction.

It is a no brainer (except for cutting the hole in the right location) and usually a new hire job after 5 min of instruction.

Many places use plastic tanks , if you don't have a big router , you can visit any tank fabricator and they can install the fittings , it takes longer to drill the hole than spin weld the fitting.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:48 AM   #20

City: Ft Myers, Florida
Vessel Name: Homegrown
Vessel Model: Roberts TY 43
Three fittings in top...vent, inlet, discharge. As others have said use a dip tube for discharge/suction out.

All my fittings on my tanks are 1.5"

Use grommets if you didn't get fittings welded into tank, or try to weld them in yourself as Fred described.

McMaster has a any size and style grommet you'll need, and their delivery is insanely fast.

Conall
Conall63 is offline   Reply With Quote