Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2017, 08:11 PM   #1
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
Thinking about moving the boat from Folly Beach, SC to Georgetown SC...

We've had our 31 Mainship in folly since we bought it just over a month ago. We love Folly but the boating isn't great. It's great if you don't really want to take your boat out.

So we're thinking about Georgetown SC. It's about the same price ($10.50/ft). What do you guys think of the town?

We have a 3 yr old who loves the boat, beaches (sandbars) and Minions. We love food, live music, and beer.

Thoughts and experiences are welcome!
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:21 AM   #2
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I would say Harbor Walk Marina would be the best choice because it's right in town and within easy walking distance to downtown. If you have a car, that might not mean much.

Georgetown is just off the AICW so you can cruise north or south. You can also cruise the Pee Dee River and the Sampit River.

The Waccamaw River (north of Georgetown) Is a beautiful cruising river with lots of nice scenery and anchorages.

I have to wonder though, if you live in NC, why not keep the boat closer to home so it's more convenient to get to and use?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:42 AM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post

I have to wonder though, if you live in NC, why not keep the boat closer to home so it's more convenient to get to and use?
Myrtle Beach is "the beach" for people in the Charlotte area.

Now, I love Grande Dunes in Myrtle Beach but still the issue is the one you're finding that it's so far just to get to the ocean. However, I would not move to Georgetown. I'd move to Charleston. Actually more convenient to Charlotte. Has nice airports for you to fly into and to drive is Interstate highways all the way. And Charleston has far more good boating to experience if you want to do some outside coastal cruising. Also, great facilities there. One last advantage as fall and winter approach, a little further south and a little warmer.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:19 AM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
I would say Harbor Walk Marina would be the best choice because it's right in town and within easy walking distance to downtown. If you have a car, that might not mean much.

Georgetown is just off the AICW so you can cruise north or south. You can also cruise the Pee Dee River and the Sampit River.

The Waccamaw River (north of Georgetown) Is a beautiful cruising river with lots of nice scenery and anchorages.

Harbor walk is under construction and isn't taking anyone for longer than a day or two. Hazzard is nearby but has a waiting list 15 deep...we are number 15 on that list.

The only other option is Georgetown Landing. We have a slip waiting for us there.

Actually Charleston is still the shortest and most convienient to drive to from charlotte. But Georgetown is slightly further, maybe 15 minute longer drive, but hopefully way less traffic, so it should be about the same.

Georgetown seems like a pretty cool place to boat. Seems like a lot of different places to go.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:24 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Myrtle Beach is "the beach" for people in the Charlotte area.

Now, I love Grande Dunes in Myrtle Beach but still the issue is the one you're finding that it's so far just to get to the ocean. However, I would not move to Georgetown. I'd move to Charleston. Actually more convenient to Charlotte. Has nice airports for you to fly into and to drive is Interstate highways all the way. And Charleston has far more good boating to experience if you want to do some outside coastal cruising. Also, great facilities there. One last advantage as fall and winter approach, a little further south and a little warmer.
Well like I said, Folly really sucks if you want to do anything other than keep your boat in the slip. Screaming currents, sandbars and at low tide you can't get in or out. Plus if we want to go anywhere, there's nothing for 2 hrs.

We thought about moving it to a marina in Charleston, but they want nearly $700/month! Georgetown want $325. That's a huge difference.

We absolutely love Charleston but we are also looking forward to exploring new towns. Have you spent any time in Georgetown? What did you think of the town?

What I like about the location is it looks like a lot of options for boating. We could even go to Myrtle for a long weekend.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
Well like I said, Folly really sucks if you want to do anything other than keep your boat in the slip. Screaming currents, sandbars and at low tide you can't get in or out. Plus if we want to go anywhere, there's nothing for 2 hrs.

We thought about moving it to a marina in Charleston, but they want nearly $700/month! Georgetown want $325. That's a huge difference.

We absolutely love Charleston but we are also looking forward to exploring new towns. Have you spent any time in Georgetown? What did you think of the town?

What I like about the location is it looks like a lot of options for boating. We could even go to Myrtle for a long weekend.
Yes, we've spent time in Georgetown. There are actually some very interesting historic sites in the area to explore. The Harborwalk is nice. Just not what I would call a great boating location. Still you can visit Charleston from there. It's a reasonable day run south. And you can go to Myrtle Beach but then if that was the plan, I'd dock in Myrtle Beach. I'd say Georgetown is likable, Charleston is lovable. Charleston is also more convenient to you. Actually Georgetown is closer in distance, Charleston in time. Is there a good small plane airport in Georgetown for you to fly into?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:42 AM   #7

City: Smithville
Vessel Name: Fool Moon
Vessel Model: 36 Mainship Nantucket
Folly is tough is you stated. Kept a boat in Charleston for 10 years, lots of options here, great location. Cruised the Georgetown area numerous times, good cruising options here as well. Your commute to the area you select may weight heavily on your choice. You can always change your mind and location down the road.
SkyRockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:47 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Yes, we've spent time in Georgetown. There are actually some very interesting historic sites in the area to explore. The Harborwalk is nice. Just not what I would call a great boating location. Still you can visit Charleston from there. It's a reasonable day run south. And you can go to Myrtle Beach but then if that was the plan, I'd dock in Myrtle Beach. I'd say Georgetown is likable, Charleston is lovable. Charleston is also more convenient to you. Actually Georgetown is closer in distance, Charleston in time. Is there a good small plane airport in Georgetown for you to fly into?
There is. And it's less than a 10 minute ride into town. It's over 30 minutes from either Charleston Executive or the main CHS airport to folly right now.

I guess our problem is more with folly than Charleston. I just wish the Charleston marinas didn't charge so much for a slip. Let me look into that a little more.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:48 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyRockin View Post
Folly is tough is you stated. Kept a boat in Charleston for 10 years, lots of options here, great location. Cruised the Georgetown area numerous times, good cruising options here as well. Your commute to the area you select may weight heavily on your choice. You can always change your mind and location down the road.
Very true. We really want to bounce around from place to place every couple of months.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:07 PM   #10
Guru

Yeah marinas near downtown Charleston are on a long waiting list and about $800/month. Way out of our price range for a slip.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #11
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Marina prices are based on supply and demand. RiversEdge is $10.50 per foot for an annual lease but it's about ten miles up the Ashley River and your boat has to have 14' or less air draft. There are some people from upstate SC and nearby NC and it's Interstate all the way.

You might check with the Cooper River Marina on the Cooper River just above the Ravenel Bridge.

Charleston is a nice city to visit but not that great for boating. You can go north to Georgetown and beyond or you can go south to Beaufort and beyond. And it's pretty boring either way. From Georgetown you have four choices.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Mount Pleasant
Vessel Name: Endeavour
Vessel Model: '87 Island Gypsy
We keep our 40' Island Gypsy at Cooper River Marina. It's the only affordable one in the immediate area.
If you can get into Harborwalk, go for it. It's very well protected.
lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:06 PM   #13
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Charleston is a great place to cruise...just find a place suitable for you needs. It may not be in Charleston, but close.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:25 PM   #14
Guru

The waiting lists are really long for the affordable places. So maybe we'll explore Georgetown and Myrtle and when they get to us in Charleston, make a decision to come back.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Mount Pleasant
Vessel Name: Endeavour
Vessel Model: '87 Island Gypsy
You may not be interested, but it took us 4 months to get a slip at Cooper River.
lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:33 PM   #16
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Isle of Palms Marina's rates drop somewhat to about $12/ft Oct-March, if you book on a quarterly basis. It's a busy spot on weekends, but it's on the ICW with good access to Charleston Harbor, Shem Creek, the major rivers and a Class A inlet.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote