Old 06-04-2017, 12:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Maple Bay BC
Only a single engine? Why two sets of controls?

Maybe a question that only the builder could answer.

Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:30 PM   #22

City: Pnw
I've seen that video lol. Not exactly a fair comparison but your point is well taken.

Sea Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:59 PM   #23
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
Only a single engine? Why two sets of controls?

Maybe a question that only the builder could answer.
The helm appears to be set up for twin. Gauges, 2keys, 2 sets of controls, one would think it's a twin engine boat, if not I'd be taking some serious pause as to what other inconsistencies are present.

To the OP please remember no one is trying to rain on your parade. We just want to make sure you make an educated decision that you can live with.
That being said, there is no way I would entertain any offer without a Sea Trial first. I don't care where the boat is, is he wants to sell, float it.

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:24 PM   #24
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Looks like a fun project... for someone else. If you are that person, then go for it. It is essentially a home built boat that is unfinished. As such, you should be able to get it very cheaply to account for the risk inherent in such as project. The owner is thinking of it as a boat that he hasn't had a chance to use yet. You need to think of it as just a bunch of steel and an old engine that may, or may not, float.

One question, do you have any idea how accessible the interior of the hull is? I have never owned a steel boat, but my understanding is that you need to maintain the interior surface of the hull as well as the exterior, so you need to able to at least inspect it.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 03:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
The helm appears to be set up for twin. Gauges, 2keys, 2 sets of controls, one would think it's a twin engine boat, if not I'd be taking some serious pause as to what other inconsistencies are present.

To the OP please remember no one is trying to rain on your parade. We just want to make sure you make an educated decision that you can live with.
That being said, there is no way I would entertain any offer without a Sea Trial first. I don't care where the boat is, is he wants to sell, float it.
The dual helm is there for an outboard backup motor that can reside on the swim step. So that set of controls is not hooked to anything yet. It's a single screw boat, and i like that it's set up to have a safety backup like that. He even has a new Yamaha 10hp that was intended to be used there.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:40 PM   #26
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted trawler
Some of you guys put far to much faith and value on a so called "pro" build.

No shortage of crap builds and work out there done by the "pros" and no shortage of fantastic builds and quality done by those who don't have a business name.
Simi 60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #27

City: London, ON
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 Original
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Word View Post
I'm holding off disclosing price in hopes that some "from the hip" guesses come in from you guys and see where it line should up with what I think it could be worth. From my eye, in this region, it wouldn't surprise me to see 100k$ sticker on it with a little fixing up and modifications/equipment.
I was in conversations with the seller of one two years ago. Didn't see it but looked at lots of pictures and a survey, seemed to be a nice turn-key boat. Hull had been professionally built. I don't remember all the particulars, but this one was for sale at CDN$35k. I think he sold it shortly after listing.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Biloxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea word View Post
hi, thanks for letting me into the room. I'm currently looking at a steel trawler cruiser boat to buy. It's a glen l design, stretched to 34' with 3/16 sides and bottom. It's been repowered with a westerbeke 75hp, and it has a fairly spartan interior. Some nice features though, anchor winch, shower, a nice fitted trailer and it's never even been wet yet.

I'm concerned about his new hyper focus because while i love boats, this will be by far the biggest craft i'd have owned, and the first non trailerable type. I'd be borrowing money to buy this which is also stupid probably, but i'm feeling like this boat with a bit of elbow grease could be worth more than the asking price in a few years and allow us some fun doing big boy boating. I'm in portland so there's considerable cruising opportunity on the columbia, but our ocean here is a mighty intimidating force that i don't think i'll mess with, so peugeot sound is out unfortunately, unless we trailer there which is totally possible too if we wanted to do a big summer trip or something next year.

So, can y'all tell me what you think a boat like this is worth? It's basically a new build, that's taken 20 years to get here. So all components are new like stuffing boxes and pumps and interior finishes. But, it's a simple home type build. I'd be sprucing it up with some paint and probably rearrange the layout a little. I'd like to connect the pilot house to the salon a little more by opening the barriers up between them a bit. I'd also be adding a nice solar system on top and a lot of fancy led lighting for fun and utility.
I also have a wacky idea that i'm the winter months i'd haul her home and set her in the yard with a deck built around her to easily access her and maybe rent her out on airbb or maybe to a college student who will bail out when summer hits.
Am i crazy? I know. Wrong crowd to ask lol!

So what's this boat worth in real world pnw dollars?
Click image for larger version

Name:	1496613177046.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	65427
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:12 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
There was one of these on YW a few years back . I think it was a steel 31 ft Union Jack home built in Texas . From the listing the build looked nice . The interior was not complete either. I want to say the asking price was 65k .
Old 06-04-2017, 05:49 PM   #30
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Really not enough info for even a guess. Make a list everything it has and everything it needs. If its needs outweighs its haves, there's your answer.

Did I miss the make make/hp of the engine?
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:17 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Really not enough info for even a guess. Make a list everything it has and everything it needs. If its needs outweighs its haves, there's your answer.

Did I miss the make make/hp of the engine?
It's got a westerbeke 75 hp. That is used, everything else is new. Propane hot water and furnace, 250gal water, 350 gal fuel, fridge, nav, double pane glass throughout, cushions and berths, wet flush head, shower, various fenders and ropes, 3axle trailer, nice anchor winch setup with chain and rope.
The hull is steel but the cabin is plywood.

Not sure what maintenance needs to be done on hull interiors, that seems like it would be tricky to accomplish.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:27 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Trosa
I'm with firefly on this one, it was easy to make money, in yaths, in the 80s and 90s, but not anymore. Because of the house market, and stupid 1950and 1960 generation parents,who made their kids to, academic geniuses, with no control of their hands, because daddy wants to show how great he is. So he and she, mama. Think it's better to make money on money! Than really put your hands in to it. That's what make me afloat,because my parents encouraged me to use my hands . as a contractor.
Lady soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:34 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Sorry, i was not a helper, but all i can say, is if you love here, go all in. And learn to take care of here yourself, and just take the cost. It's like a marriage, you get it double back. With 😍
Old 06-04-2017, 06:48 PM   #34
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
75hp seems a bit under powered to me for her size. Survey and sea trial are a must.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:58 PM   #35
Guru

City: Sydney
Whats the difference between a $50000 boat and a $100000 boat ?

about 5 years
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:45 PM   #36
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
Find a welder who you can trust. Take him for a look. An experienced welder can judge just by looking around at the weld quality regarding fit, penetration and width of bead. If the builder was not a 'proper welder' I'd pass on her.
Cappy208 is spot on. Welders are a unique breed. Daddy built our 40'er from steel however he was an experienced welder long before he picked up a torch to build our home/boat.

Find a welding shop. Talk to the owner and then pay in cash for him or his top guy to have a look at the boat. Then if the report is good, then go further. Until then, keep your wallet and bank financing tucked away.

P.S. - I like the looks of her and wish you much success.

P.S.2 - it does not matter one iota what was spent on parts. The owner will never recoup those costs and it's not your responsibility to make him break even. Labor is not recoverable either.

Boat for fun and pleasure with zero expectation of financial windfalls, nor even breaking even regardless of what you put into her to make her better. You'll be happier if you adapt that philosophy and I recommend same.
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:49 PM   #37
Veteran Member

And don't forget, steel and wood have a great enemy... Water..
Old 06-04-2017, 08:03 PM   #38
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Personally, I think you're nuts for buying this boat.

First of all, what's your goal? No matter what it is, you don't finance toys. And you have an "unknown" that needs a lot of work, etc. You're not likely to "flip" it and make a dime, and you're not likely to enjoy it on the water with your financing (you won't have the money to launch it).

Overall, you could go better throwing your money in the toilet.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:35 PM   #39
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Don't hold Seevee, let's hear what's really on your mind. 😯

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:35 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Personally, I think you're nuts for buying this boat.

First of all, what's your goal? No matter what it is, you don't finance toys. And you have an "unknown" that needs a lot of work, etc. You're not likely to "flip" it and make a dime, and you're not likely to enjoy it on the water with your financing (you won't have the money to launch it).

Overall, you could go better throwing your money in the toilet.
I don't disagree but that could be said about any boat lol. I'm not trying to flip it, just pondering the possibility of enjoying it for a while and not take a beating on the resale. If that's possible, it's worth it. I mean, if the boat was 5$ would you take the risk? I realize you wouldn't finance 5$. I dunno, I feel like I could make a few bucks on it with a little paint and some changes to the cabin layout.
The owner wants 35$k for it.