Old 01-05-2019, 08:52 PM   #1

City: Somerville
Vessel Name: Kristine
Vessel Model: DeFever 53 POC
New Granite Counter Tops

Good Day All,

We have a DeFever 53 and are considering replacing all the countertops (galley and three heads).

I have a bid for granite but some of my fellow boaters are advising me to stay away from granite and choose a quartz type material. Of course it's not their money they are spending.

Has anyone had any negative experiences with granite?

Thank you,

All the best,

Rusty

DeFever 53 POC
Iuka, MS

oceancrosser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:01 PM   #2
Guru

City: West Coast
Granite works fine for us, including some granite trim in the salon that is only about 4" wide. The mfg tried to talk me out of it (after the options were selected, the grand total price established and agreed to, on the basis that it would crack. I told them that wouldn't be my problem and suggested they do a good job reinforcing it. (They also tried to get out of bull nose.) But, everything has worked out just fine. Another friend spec'd granite on his boat, but got marble, which is much more porous and stains easily -- he found out when a guest to his boat christening left a glass of red wine (with a little on the base) on his counter. The builder (different from mine, but one of the well-regarded Taiwan yards) wouldn't do anything for him.

MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:07 PM   #3

This is the "pushback" I am getting. "It will certainly fracture or break" however no one has granite on their boat.. they just heard this.

Thanks for replying so promptly.

Rusty
DeFever 53 POC
Iuka, MS
Old 01-05-2019, 09:12 PM   #4
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Love our granite (black with blue/silver streaks) counter with undermount sink. Installed it 4yrs. ago when we rebuilt this boat. We use it as a cutting block and routinely put hot pots and frying pan on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old galley New galley.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	83919  
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:25 PM   #5

Very pretty!!
Old 01-06-2019, 12:36 AM   #6
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Granite needs to be sealed and quartz doesnít. That is the big maintenance difference. As to whether or not is can/will crack is another question.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:51 AM   #7
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
We had granite on our last boat, and all recent Nordhavns have granite. We also have had it in three houses. I've never hear of any cracking, but Nordhavns are heavily built boats. It will only crack if poorly supported.

That said, do consider whether you are pushing the builder beyond their capabilities. If they have never seen granite on a boat, I'd be worried. You will live with their learning curve.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:54 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Granite needs to be sealed and quartz doesnít. That is the big maintenance difference. As to whether or not is can/will crack is another question.
Spray once a week .... 15 seconds.
4 yrs, two round trips Toronto - Bahamas, no cracks.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:42 AM   #9
Scraping Paint

City: Lutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceancrosser View Post
Good Day All,

We have a DeFever 53 and are considering replacing all the countertops (galley and three heads).

I have a bid for granite but some of my fellow boaters are advising me to stay away from granite and choose a quartz type material. Of course it's not their money they are spending.

Has anyone had any negative experiences with granite?

Thank you,

All the best,

Rusty

DeFever 53 POC
Iuka, MS
Granite has fallen out of favor in the housing market and is now a minus to a Housing price. Its hard to spot garbage and will break dishes.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:53 AM   #10
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Granite has fallen out of favor in the housing market and is now a minus to a Housing price. Its hard to spot garbage and will break dishes.
You make a lot of blanket, seemingly authoritative pronouncements. Got any data to back that one up?

The real story seems to be that it depends on the market youíre in:

https://www.homelight.com/blog/will-...se-home-value/
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:01 AM   #11
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Spray once a week .... 15 seconds.
4 yrs, two round trips Toronto - Bahamas, no cracks.

Gosh, we reseal maybe once every 5 years. If water leaves a temporary dark spot, it's time to reseal.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:15 AM   #12

City: Chester
"Granite has fallen out of favor in the housing market and is now a minus to a Housing price. Its hard to spot garbage and will break dishes."

As a home builder I completely disagree with this statement. Granite has become expected in our market and products that wouldn't break dishes would be considered inferior. (laminate)
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:35 AM   #13

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
We build and sell new homes. Granite is a natural product and we warranty for one year only. Quartz is a man made product and we warranty our work for ten years. 'nuff said.
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #14
Guru

I put quartz in my previous home, and I have granite in my current home.
My preference is quartz. It is permanently sealed and my carbide scribe will not scratch it. I can scratch the granite with a screwdriver in places.
Depending on the color of either dirt may be hard to see. They will BOTH break dishes but I can only remember us dropping and breaking one glass in 10 years. So that's a non starter.
In Connecticut, quartz is (10 years ago) less expensive than quartz and granite dealers are few.
Here in Florida, granite shops are extremely plentiful, therefore much less expensive than up north, at least in my experience.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:51 AM   #15
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
This is one of my pet peeves. Much of what is called granite is not actually granite. In particular the black "granite" counter tops are actually a stone called larvakite. Granite consists of the minerals orthoclase, plagioclase, quartz and biotite or hornblende. Depending on the source of the granite it will be either a mix of white (or very light gray) from the orthoclase and plagioclase, clear (quartz) with flecks of black (biotite and hornblende) or white and pink (oxidized orthoclase and plagioclase with clear quartz) with black specks (biotite and hornblende. Granite is never black. The light colored minerals (plagioclase, orthoclase and quartz) make up 90+ percent of any granite.

I am 100% confident of my comments since I taught mineralogy and igneous petrology for my entire working career as a professor of Earth Sciences and geochemistry.

Granite is pretty tough unless the slab you get had a natural fracture in it. Remember, pretty much all actual granite has been around for at least 10s of millions of years and more likely 100+ million years. As long as it is well supported it won't break UNLESS you twist it or hit it hard in an unsupported spot. Hitting it hard would be something like giving it a good whack with a 3-4 pound hammer. Then it will break because it is brittle. The finer the grain size in a typical granite the tougher it will be. As far as scratch resistance goes granite is pretty good. The quartz is harder than any steel but the plagioclase and orthoclase can be scratched by hard steels. Carbide will scratch every part of granite. If you failed to scratch a piece of granite with a carbide tool you just weren't trying.

The only downside of granite on a boat is the weight. Granite weighs 3-3.5 times what a plywood/formica counter does and about 1.5 times what Corian does. However, if you want light weight, you can make a composite granite counter from 1/4" or less granite glued to an aluminum honeycomb. Granite glues very nicely with epoxies.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:39 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Gosh, we reseal maybe once every 5 years. If water leaves a temporary dark spot, it's time to reseal.
My wife and I are both neat/clean freaks
Never had a "temporary" dark spot
Old 01-06-2019, 10:48 AM   #17
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post

What a load of crap!

In the high end of the housing market Granite is still the preference, Quartz has gotten better but cannot compare in iridescence.

The "industry" loves working in quartz as it almost eliminates the fracturing issues associated with some real stone tops.

To the O.P. I think if you have the right configuration and allow for flex and pick a stone that is not veined your probably fine.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:16 AM   #18
Guru

City: West Coast
When the market is strong (not currently), I invest in high-end ($8M -$20M) spec homes in west LA. In that admittedly rarefied market segment, it has definitely fallen out of favor. And, since those type homes set the standard of "ultimate luxury" for other segments, I don't doubt that granite is falling out of favor (maybe not in an easily perceptible way), and will continue to do so.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:44 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
When the market is strong (not currently), I invest in high-end ($8M -$20M) spec homes in west LA. In that admittedly rarefied market segment, it has definitely fallen out of favor. And, since those type homes set the standard of "ultimate luxury" for other segments, I don't doubt that granite is falling out of favor (maybe not in an easily perceptible way), and will continue to do so.
If granite in the kitchen is what it takes to cause a price drop in such a home the value must really plummet if the don't like the color of the paint in the 8th bedroom

PS. What the Kardasians (or anyone else) find as haute decor has never really concerned me
Old 01-07-2019, 12:58 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Albuquerque, New Mexico and Counce, Tennessee
Vessel Model: Atlas Acadia 25
I really like the acid stained cast concrete counter tops in homes. I wonder how they would hold up on a boat.

https://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/countertops/

A Guide To Concrete Countertops – Clauss Designs

Philip Matthews Construction LLC | Concrete Countertops

IronZebra is offline   Reply With Quote