New Generator - Kohler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a new Carver C34 with a gas Kohler 7.5kw genset. I had nothing but trouble with it. Not even the Kohler tech could figure out why it acted as if the starting battery was dead the next morning while on the hook. The remote start never worked either. It was also very loud. I assume that was due to the high revving gas engine. That and other issues were why I sold the boat after two years and bought my NP45. Everything worked right from day 1 with the NP45. I'm very happy with it. I have a Northern Lights 9 kw diesel genset which, works like a charm.

I don't really think it's fair to compare a gas generator to a diesel one.

How can they be so glitchy and troublesome?
Its a simple diesel engine and a big alt end.

I have a lovely boat but am impecunious.

I won on ebay a Westerbeke 8KW diesel powered open genset which had been used on a commercial vessel. New cost installed here in the UK would have been $17,000 Dollars. Things are very expensive here.

I renovated and serviced it, installed it myself and it owes me $3500 Dollars in the boat.

Three years service with no problems at all.

I put this down to deep sixing ALL the sensors and cutouts.

It it has oil in the sump, water coming out of the exhaust that is good enough for me.

A friend with the same boat as me fitted with an Onan calls the repairman out all the time. $125 Dollars call out plus parts and labour.

I'm a time served mechanic who spent 35 years repairing and restoring Vintage - pre 1930 - cars and motorbikes.

No sensors on those....................

When cruising it is used for one to one and a half hours each morning for providing hot water, charging the house bank and cooking with electricity. We charge all the devices at this time too.

I found a UK Company who custom made a sound blanket which has stiff sides, front, back and top and velcro's together. Made it a lot quieter.

Works for us.

Back
Top Bottom