Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
New Garmin 24inch chartplotter/MFD, $12,000 bucks

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...rod518936.html

Old 03-07-2016, 04:07 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Holy crap! $11,999.99 for a MFD? I would have thought prices would be coming down, not going up.

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:34 PM   #3
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Holy crap! $11,999.99 for a MFD? I would have thought prices would be coming down, not going up.
Actually considering it's a touch screen AND marine I'm thinking it's not that bad for a 24" screen. Bigger question is who's got a pilot house to support it.

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:45 PM   #4

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
FWIW - The 17" version, the GPSMAP® 8617 MFD, has exactly the same features along with the same screen resolution as the 24" model and it's $4,500 less ($7,500).
Old 03-07-2016, 07:47 PM   #5
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Title had me scared, 12k? But I looked it's only 11,999.99. Whew, now I feel better
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:41 PM   #6
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
Actually considering it's a touch screen AND marine I'm thinking it's not that bad for a 24" screen. Bigger question is who's got a pilot house to support it.
Ok, I'll bite. I have plenty of room for it in my pilot house. However, I don't think that's what I want. (So please just give me the $12K and I'll spend it how I wish )

Firstly, I don't really need the screen to be marine grade inside the pilot house. Secondly, I don't really want a touch screen. Have any of you tried to use a touch screen in big seas? I had the experience on my way down from Alaska last year. I had a laptop with a mouse running CE and my first mate had a Microsoft surface also running CE. I found the touchscreen hard to use as I was being jostled around in big waves. The mouse was much easier to manage. I could stabilize my mousing hand by leaning on it a bit and still use the mouse. With the touchscreen I found my hand wavering around all over the place.

A touchscreen tablet is fine if you are holding it. However, trying to point and drag with your fingers on a surface that is attached to the boat in heavy weather is not easy.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:09 AM   #7
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
I had one not that big but I didn't like it either for the same reason plus ever try to get fish scales and blood off of touchscreen.

Sd
Old 03-08-2016, 07:33 AM   #8
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
If you mount it over one of your pilothouse windows and then add a camera looking out the same view as the window, you can display the camera video in a window, as well as radar and other stats. Who needs windows anyway?

On the other hand, what about putting all your eggs in one basket? I did a job for the USAF where all the competition had large displays. My system had several smaller (low cost) displays. When grilled about my system competing with the 'big screen guys' I pointed out redundancy, and TCO. What happens when their one screen goes out? If I lose one screen, no big deal. All the sudden, the tables changed. That big sexy display was now the weak link of their systems... Guess who they picked?

So, it's not the $11,999 price tag, it is 'what do you do when it quits?' Far better to have two smaller ones networked and $4500 in your cruising kitty.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:06 PM   #9
Guru

What a buy! How about one for the lower station and one for the fly-bridge?
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:25 PM   #10
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
What a buy! How about one for the lower station and one for the fly-bridge?

That was what I wanted to do till I got pricing. We're keeping our old electronics. They work fine. I'll live with no integrated AIS

If these people had better pricing they would have had a complete upgrade in our boat. Now they sell me nothing.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:35 PM   #11
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Laptop via HDMI cable to a Samsung $325 32" HD TV works for us. Then if I so choose all the charts, AIS, radar, depth sounder etc are viewable when cruising by guests or off watch crew playing cards or resting on the couch.

These daylight viewable big screens are very pricey but they do sell.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:59 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
Ok, I'll bite. I have plenty of room for it in my pilot house. However, I don't think that's what I want. (So please just give me the $12K and I'll spend it how I wish )

Firstly, I don't really need the screen to be marine grade inside the pilot house. Secondly, I don't really want a touch screen. Have any of you tried to use a touch screen in big seas? I had the experience on my way down from Alaska last year. I had a laptop with a mouse running CE and my first mate had a Microsoft surface also running CE. I found the touchscreen hard to use as I was being jostled around in big waves. The mouse was much easier to manage. I could stabilize my mousing hand by leaning on it a bit and still use the mouse. With the touchscreen I found my hand wavering around all over the place.

A touchscreen tablet is fine if you are holding it. However, trying to point and drag with your fingers on a surface that is attached to the boat in heavy weather is not easy.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Richard
I am just a weekender but I have found the touchscreens work very well. I bought my touchscreen because of price....with a leery eye towards the touchscreen aspect of it. Turns out I like it...A LOT!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:44 AM   #13
Guru

City: Doha
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Laptop via HDMI cable to a Samsung $325 32" HD TV works for us. Then if I so choose all the charts, AIS, radar, depth sounder etc are viewable when cruising by guests or off watch crew playing cards or resting on the couch.

These daylight viewable big screens are very pricey but they do sell.
Sounds like a nice setup. Can you send a photo?
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:46 AM   #14
Guru

I second Britannia that touch screens only work well in fair conditions. I would not want them as a primary feedback mechanism on my boat. Sorry to bring up the plane thing again, but I learned there, that in turbulence touchscreen are frustrating. Same holds true for heavy seas.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:05 AM   #15
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
With touch screens in turbulent, it is sometimes better to use your fingers to steady your hand on the edge / bezel and touch with your thumb rather than trying to touch it with an unsteady finger.

So, smaller touch screens are better that way, unless you have long thumbs.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:17 AM   #16
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
The questions about touch screens revolves around what percentage of your boating life are in rough seas. For many, not so much. It's not like they fail to function but yes they may be more difficult at times.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:42 AM   #17
Guru

City: Trenton
Something changes in my skin when I get nervous, annoyed, scared or (dare I say?) excited and the touch screens/pads just go out. They just ignore all input. It's infuriating.

Mice always just do what they are told. At least the analog, wired, roller-balled ones do.

You can clean them. They don't require batteries. They don't care if you have red in your mouse pad. They don't care what you are rolling them over. Worse comes to worse you can turn them upside down and use them as a roller ball.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:05 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguewave View Post
The questions about touch screens revolves around what percentage of your boating life are in rough seas. For many, not so much. It's not like they fail to function but yes they may be more difficult at times.
Also about how much you like fingerprints all over your chart plotter as well as ergonomics.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:27 AM   #19
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguewave View Post
It may not be that frequent, but the problem is that they get more difficult to use at a time that I'm already more stressed. That's not a good combination.

I can see putting a touchscreen, marinized MFD up on the flybridge. But in the pilot house I plan to go with computers and screens.

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #20
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
As the seas get rough, I tend to sit further back from the helm, on the bench and steer using the AP remote. The nearest controls past the wheel, are the throttle levers. Next, if I lean forward, is the AP fixed control, after that, the laptop mouse pad, but to reach that I need to get off the bench and stand, so I rarely touch it. If I had a touch screen, I would have to put it at least as far from the bench as the laptop, so in rough conditions, I wouldn't be touching it very often.
Oh, I forgot to mention the cellphone, where I display AIS information, I don't need to get off the bench to access that.

koliver is offline   Reply With Quote