New to this forum - and trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony B

Guru
Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Hi all or is it y'all?

My name is Tony and am going from sail to trawler. I just listed my 39' Ketch for sale today and started actively looking for a trawler this past week. I am 64 going on 65 and my wifes age has not yet been determined.*We have been sailing for*about 15 years and only owned a small power boat (14') for about 6 months. We are looking for a*34 - 38 foot trawler and plan on starting the great loop next year if at all possible.

We live aboard in Kemah, Tx. We are not wealthy so we can't buy a trawler till out ketch sells first. Our ketch is a 1976 and we suspect that would be the approx age of a trawler we will end up with.

I just found this site last night and I am glad I did.

welcome! You'll find lots of ex sailors trawler owners, and lots of good advice on the site.
Steve W.

-- Edited by Steve on Tuesday 19th of July 2011 07:22:34 AM

Indeed. Welcome aboard Skipper.

*Decided to come over to the dark side did ya?

*Use the search and ask any questions you like. We all have great opinions. Not all you like but opinions never the less.

SD

Welcome Tony!!!....Consider yourself "evolved"!!!!.....even though it took you awhile!!!....;-)

I'm just not sure if we can handle the high speed of a trawler. How difficult is it to walk on flat, horizontal decks?

Thanks all for the Welcome.

Tony B wrote:
...*How difficult is it to walk on flat, horizontal decks?
*As easy as pie.

img_55249_0_dfec8dc411ea8eb05a8407b2a4960db7.jpg

"As easy as pie."

And some of us haven't quite kicked the sailing habit. Apparently it's a lengthy process.

(I'm not going to mention any names here.)

I am guilty of the accusation.* Still, I have found the sails help*tame the roll from stern-quartering waves at the western entrance of Carquinez Strait after exiting Mare Island Strait*where there is a long fetch over shallow*San Pablo Bay.* Didn't hoist the sails last weekend so we had a few good rolls.

Mark

Aside from the 'steadying', do the sails offer any noticable propulsion?

Tony B

The time I made an effort to check, a ten-knot beam wind added about a half knot.

markpierce wrote:
The time I made an effort to check, a ten-knot beam wind added about a half knot.
*OK, so it don't add any significant power but when you are too cool for school, nothing else matters.

Mark, can you tell if the engine is under less strain with the sails up?

Tony B wrote:markpierce wrote:
*OK, so it don't add any significant power but when you are too cool for school, nothing else matters.

*Not so fast (pun intended), fella.* An increase of half a knot can mean the difference of 15 to*25+% in*fuel consumption.

Moonstruck wrote:
*No, but one can reduce RPMs and maintain original speed.

markpierce wrote:Moonstruck wrote:
*No, but one can reduce RPMs and maintain original speed.

*I might not be a mathematician but as I see it "original speed" was probably zero. Hmmmmmm. Not bad.
no.gif

Ok, now for my serious face.......so as for propulsion, you are actually geting quite a bit of it from the sails. I figured you would get a noticable amount and if you can drop your RPM's and maintain speed then you are doing quite well.

Tony,
I just switched over from 36' sail to 32' GB trawler. I still have a 22' sail to satisfy the passion. I am in Seabrooke Marina. I have had a boat in Kemah area for about 10 years.

Lots of great knowledge on this site.

\

hogrider46 wrote:
Tony,
I just switched over from 36' sail to 32' GB trawler. I still have a 22' sail to satisfy the passion.

Fortunately I still have sailing friends and can always hitch a ride. Tony B

...Lots of great knowedge on this site...

Oh yes, I can tell. They have answered a lot of questions for me. I already live aboard and lived aboard a lot smaller boats so my questions are a little more specific to the boat itself. I know my level of comfort. Tony B
*I hope to meet some of the people on here some day. Quite a few from this area.

We went from a j 42 sailboat to a PT 35. Love it!! Great ride, lots of storage, great galley. And like you we have plenty of friends and relatives with sailboats when we are in the mood.

Back
Top Bottom