Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-24-2014, 08:46 AM   #41
TF Site Team
 
Bay Pelican's Avatar
 
City: Chicago, IL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,781
The homeowners use the derelict boats as an argument to limit anchoring and "preserve their view".

One approach -solve the derelict boat problem = it can be done if the state wants to get tough with the boat owners - then if a home owner wants to limit anchoring tell him he has to pay tax on the water area reserved for his view. Area reserved would be taxed based on the square footage tax bill for his house. Let him pay $30,000 plus per year and the view won't be worth it.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #42
Guru
 
timjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,905
Personally I think the derelict argument is a bit over blown. Laws are in place to deal with it. Funds to enforce it however are lacking. And that's the problem.
__________________

__________________
Tim
Tampa Bay
Carver 355 ACMY Twin Cummins Diesels Sold
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:51 AM   #43
Guru
 
City: Satsuma FL
Country: United States
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Personally I think the derelict argument is a bit over blown. Laws are in place to deal with it. Funds to enforce it however are lacking. And that's the problem.
Wonder where the funds will come from to enforce anchoring restrictions if enacted? Let me guess....new taxes on boaters.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #44
Guru
 
timjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Wonder where the funds will come from to enforce anchoring restrictions if enacted? Let me guess....new taxes on boaters.
I hope not, but I would not be against some of our registration fees going to remove derelict boats.

Again I think derelict boats are overblown and an argument used by some waterfront land owners to enhance their position on restricting anchoring.

As I understand the FL law governing derelict boats, once a boat has been designated derelict or abandoned, the FWC places a sticker on the boat notifying everyone of it's status. After 60 days it can be removed. If a designated boat is an eye sore then presumably a landowner can have the boat removed, through probably at his own expense.
__________________
Tim
Tampa Bay
Carver 355 ACMY Twin Cummins Diesels Sold
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:27 AM   #45
Guru
 
CaptTom's Avatar
 
City: Southern Maine
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
yet very little of the total water area is actually NDZs...
Do you have a link or anything g that shows where states asked for their entire coasts to be NDZs? Like many requests in government...ask for all if you want half.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to this. A quick Google session turned up This link showing the entire coasts of NH, MA, RI and CT covered by a NDZ:


I'm guessing the same thing will happen with FL "no anchoring" zones if allowed.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #46
Guru
 
Rogerh's Avatar
 
City: Niceville, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 665
Seems to me this is very much a location by location issue. What applies to a crowded anchorage in Miami may not apply to a large bayou in north Florida. However, there is no way that I want local government in the decision making position. Too many good friends and bubas involved locally that will dictate laws/rules. If it has to happen, and that is a big question, it will at least minimize the friends etc influences with the FWC. Just my views....
Rogerh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
Capecodder's Avatar
 
City: Cape Cod, MA or Fort Myers, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Her Shine. Newburyport
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Personally I think the derelict argument is a bit over blown. Laws are in place to deal with it. Funds to enforce it however are lacking. And that's the problem.
The states boat registration rules state if I'm in state for 90 days that the $200.00 +/- fee is used to remove derelict boats. I personally have never seen a derelict boat in a "rich" homeowners view. But have seen too many under loud bridges and poorer parts of towns.

http://m.myfwc.com/boating/waterway/reporting/
Capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #48
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,118
One thing is clear by law. The state does have the right to regulate. Also, there is nothing that gives local governments any rights but the FWC does want to reinforce limits on their rights. The state clearly has the authority in this case to limit local governments.

As to derelict boats being over blown, I disagree. Now I do think some are trying to use them for additional agendas. But I think the problem is very real. Responsibility and means are difficult. Stock Island has had many. Other areas a few. There just isn't a system today and I don't think this puts one in place either although it might help a little. The state of Washington encounters a lot of derelict fishing boats abandoned at marinas and they have a system to deal with them and their destruction, but the state spends a lot of money on it.

These issues too won't be resolved overnight. Look at how long it's taken so far. But every state faces them.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #49
Guru
 
Rogerh's Avatar
 
City: Niceville, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 665
Derelict boats are in Destin harbor in view of multi million dollar homes and condos. Not much of a bother to me when we anchor there but I could see where they would be an issue to the homeowners. When we have a hurricane hit up here it seems that it takes years to get them cleared out.
Rogerh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #50
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Sorry for the delay in getting back to this. A quick Google session turned up This link showing the entire coasts of NH, MA, RI and CT covered by a NDZ:


I'm guessing the same thing will happen with FL "no anchoring" zones if allowed.
This is what I was going by and it seems like the map fills in some blanks unless the actual legislations adds some fringe areas to make it really "all waters" like it says for some states.

No Discharge Zones by State | Vessel Water Discharge | US EPA
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:04 PM   #51
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Done, I hope it works out OK for us boaters.
I can understand their point of view too, we often read on boating forums how some A'hole at an anchorage anchored too close, blared loud music, took a Pi$$ over the side etc etc. imagine that going on in your back yard, day after day. not to mention derelict and abandoned boats. As usual a few screw up the works for the rest of us.
I took the survey and I also agree with your post. We now have a fleet of derelict boats just down from out marina (one upside down in the marsh and another stuck in the marsh and out of the water at low tide) that we get to look at each day. I can just imagine them in front of my waterfront home and having to look at them every day all day and explain them to visitors.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:10 PM   #52
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,515
>we get to look at each day. I can just imagine them in front of my waterfront home and having to look at them every day all day and explain them to visitors.<

Thats easy,, Just inform them that many boats are sunk to make artificial reefs , and it is a good deal for the environment.

Explain how much better a person you are (than most everyone )by installing a mid tide habiatat to make up for breathing , and exhaling CO 2.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:54 PM   #53
Guru
 
City: Satsuma FL
Country: United States
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Thats easy,, Just inform them that many boats are sunk to make artificial reefs , and it is a good deal for the environment.

And they excellent Anchor Treasures!
__________________

Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012