New Electric Tender Outboard Motor - your thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LRC58Fan

I saw an earlier discussion on the new outboard electric motors. Just saw this new announcement and wondered what people thought of it. Would you use something like this?

Pure Watercraft brings boaters a Tesla-style motor

Obviously, water and electricity don’t mix. But one Seattle company called Pure Watercraft has taken up the engineering challenge of building a Tesla-like EV motor for boats.

The startup began taking pre-orders for its Pure Outboard today with a $500, refundable deposit via its own website.

A former rowing coach, Andy Rebele started Pure Watercraft in 2011 with a mission to replace typical gas-powered motors with a quiet and eco-friendly alternative that had real range and power.

“Making a high-performance electric vehicle that works on the water is hard,” he said, “but that’s why it’s worth doing.”

Every component of the Pure Outboard, including the battery pack, is waterproof, or more technically “IP67,” which means it can be submerged in 1 meter of water for up to 30 minutes without issue.

Full story here:'

Pure Watercraft brings boaters a Tesla-style motor | TechCrunch

Ay $6K for the motor and another $6K for the Battery pak I think they have some challenges ahead..

$12,000 for a 9-25 horse outboard that weighs 170 # ? Think I'll pass and get a good used 2 stroke at 1/3 the weight and 8% of the cost.

Ay $6K for the motor and another $6K for the Battery pak I think they have some challenges ahead..

Well - if you look at the Torqueedo product that people were commenting very positively on, it looks like its about the same price.

Torqueedo is $4K for the motor, and $4K list price for the 2.6 Kwh battery pack, so a total of $12K and the new one is $6K for motor and $6K for 6Kwh battery pack.

And you can recharge while traveling via solar panels, and no need to carry gas on your diesel boat - which would be nice.

Assuming prices continue to come down 20%+ a year - and no maintenance for 10 years, and no gas prices, should be very competitive at some time in the next 5 years or so.

20hp fuel injected Suzuki goes for $2700, that's a pretty big difference in price, like others have said some work to do...

20hp fuel injected Suzuki goes for $2700, that's a pretty big difference in price, like others have said some work to do...

The list price for a 20 HP Suzuki seems to be in the $3700 to $5,000 range - so perhaps 50% of more of the price of the electric motors. But the point is right that there is a very significant price differential now.

Source: Suzuki 20 HP Outboard Motors For Sale | On Sale Right Now!

If prices decrease 20% per year on the electric side, and you take into consideration the much lower cost of electric "refills" - it seems they might be competitive in a couple of years.

If you really value silence, and avoidance of gasoline on a diesel boat, and environmental friendliness - you might be an early adopter I guess - like some of the Torqueedo commenters on the earlier thread.

Not a big back and forth guy, but not sure why you would even quote list and the link provided its $2770.00 free delivery, which is what I quoted in my post.

The list price for a 20 HP Suzuki seems to be in the $3700 to $5,000 range - so perhaps 50% of more of the price of the electric motors. But the point is right that there is a very significant price differential now.

Source: Suzuki 20 HP Outboard Motors For Sale | On Sale Right Now!

If prices decrease 20% per year on the electric side, and you take into consideration the much lower cost of electric "refills" - it seems they might be competitive in a couple of years.

If you really value silence, and avoidance of gasoline on a diesel boat, and environmental friendliness - you might be an early adopter I guess - like some of the Torqueedo commenters on the earlier thread.

I would probably shell out for one of the Propane-powered outboards before I went to an electric. Better range and the little green propane bottles are ubiquitous. The 15-hp version has electric start but does require an external propane bottle.

Marty.........................

A very good friend of mine has a Tesla Model S P85D close to $200000 AU and every time I see him the conversation turns a rave about how cheap it is to run:facepalm::rofl: And he complains about the quality of a $10 pub lunch but I still love him

Back
Top Bottom