New diesel engine design based on a washing machine.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdowney717

Guru
Vessel Name
Old Glory
Vessel Make
1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model

It is based on a washing machine design there you go. And also has no engine oil, since it is made from proprietary polymers.
I think they are looking for investor dollars to keep their jobs.

Reminds me of the monkey toy with cymbals:D.

Last edited:
Maybe they'll hire back the Maytag repairman?

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

Thomas Tusser

Isn't that an electric motor driving the thing? WTF?

I noticed the electric motor, too. That appears to be a model of the engine made out of plastic to help show the workings of it. This video shows the parts of the engine and there are videos of it running. None of this means its better than anything else already invented, just different.

Ken

Claiming a 67% efficiency, no engine oil, no emissions.

'the emissions and oil lubrication are reduced and then later eliminated'

The first video sounds just like a washing machine. I am still laughing every time I hear it.
Anyway, the inventor claims are quite unusual, way beyond normal expectations.
Having an engine with no engine oil using solid polymers for lubrication, well that just does not sound very durable.

From what I can gather from the web site, which looks like it was created by a three-year-old, they have:

1) Created ceramic pistons and installed them in a couple of engines. The engines run, but there is no indication for how long. Also no indication of what benefit they might bring. I remember reading about the concept of ceramic components in engines maybe 20-30 years ago, so maybe this is inspired by that.

2) Have a model of the jumping-jacks engine that in the video posted.

3) Have a lot of video showing milling machines milling components for a metal prototype of the engine.

4) Show a video of a partial prototype being driven by an external electric motor.

5) A bunch of unrelated stuff like farm tools and carbon fiber car bodies.

I didn't see any example of the jumping-jacks engine actually operating. Maybe I missed it? So far it all looks like science experimenter stuff.

It would be really interesting to hear what's different about the thermodynamics of the jumping-jacks engine that make it more efficient. That would shed some light on how worthy it is of pursuing. Then of course it would have to buildable at a competitive cost, and refined to run trouble free for 20,000 hrs before it could start to displace diesel engines.

I'm sooo convuseded !!!

I can see a number of fabrication and operational problems with that design:

How do you bore a curved cylinder? Conventional straight cylinder engines are bored with a 0.001" precision which to me is only possible with a straight bore and hone job. It will take some clever manufacturing to do it right.

The same with the piston. To fit closely in a curved cylinder bore it will also have to be curved precisely. You can't turn a curved piston on a lathe.

It is a two stroke, but not in the sense of a Detroit. It is more like a two stroke outboard engine with no intake and exhaust valves. All intake and exhaust comes from the pistons uncovering ports in the cylinder walls. We know how efficient that is for outboards.

Which brings me to the ultimate BS claim- 67% efficiency because of lower reciprocating mass and presumably less internal friction. That is about double the efficiency of a normal diesel. Granted there is no piston/cylinder side forces in this design which is probably the biggest internal friction component in a conventional diesel. But it is relatively small and doesn't begin to bring the efficiency up from about 35% to 67%.

Wait until we see a working prototype, not one built of plastic and driven by an electric motor.

David

Port scavenged engines can be just as efficient as four strokes, provided no fuel goes out the exh like old outboards. Gassers like optimax, hpdi, etec solved the fuel-out-the-exh issue by going with direct injection after the exh port closes. Good efficiency for gassers, in some cases better than four strokes. Diesels in the same category, capable of good thermal efficiency.

One bug is that port scavenged engines will throw some lube mist out the exhaust, even if direct injected. Any of these engines therefore have little hope of meeting strict emission regs. That's what killed the Detroit two-stroke. These are in the same category.

The 67% thermal efficiency claim is pure BS, and once seeing that, the project lost all credibility in my mind.

Machining a precise curved bore is doable, but tricky. Same with pistons. Doable. Just takes clever jigging on a boring/turning setup. A standard mill or lathe won't get it.

These things pop up all the time. I think many are motivated by trying to soak unsophisticated investors out of R and D money.

If someone truly has a better engine architecture, you better believe they will keep it quiet until they do enough development to secure patents. And that level of development would include a running prototype capable of dyno testing.

No running prototype? Not viable.

Building a prototype is not that difficult. The Wright Bros. built their own engine without being engineers or trained machinists. That 110yrs ago. CNC and CAD and CAM makes even whacky shapes easy now.

If I get supremely bored, I look on utube for whacky engines. Amazing how many hundreds are out there. And none but the Wankel have really ever challenged the recip piston engine. And the Wankel was from way-back, too.

Some have mindblowing levels of compexity, that can be impressive.

Last edited:
There are lots of people who just don't understand basic physics. A few years ago I had a company all over me about a magnetic engine they had created. Their prototype, once spun up by an external source, went clickity clack for a while just like the jumping-jacks engine, but slowly lost steam. They assured me it was just a matter of fine tuning and that they were really on to something.

I suggested they go back and review the first and second laws of thermodynamics, then call me when they had identified their source of energy. They had essentially demonstrated a perpetual motion machine, which if course doesn't work.

I just feel badly for people who sink their lives into these pursuits that are clearly DOA.

They need to target the SF Bay Area, there are wannabe gear heads with more money than brains that will probably keep this hopeless venture afloat for a while. Many of them have never heard of thermodynamics and wouldn't think about physics if an apple fell on their head.

Back
Top Bottom