New countertop easy way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adelaide

Vessel Name
Adelaide
Vessel Make
1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Just thought I would post this for those that need an easy (didn't say right way :) solution to an old ugly countertop.

This is my fathers boat. He needed the sink and the faucet replaced on his 1978 CHB. My mother chose a hand made copper sink with a pretty cool lavatory style faucet (to each is her own.). We needed an easy to do solution to the ugly countertop rather than the mess of a complete install.

Having a history of working with Vinyl floor tiles (peel and stick lowes). I thought that this may be the perfect solution until a more permanent install could take place. It took my wife and I about 3 hours to make it perfect..... Others with less attention to detail could do it in half that time...... Tiles are $30.00 for a box and you cut them with a good pair of scissors. Keep the unused tiles for touch ups for those that may lift over the years. Most likely repairs will be needed at some point and Lowes may discontinue the style(happened to us at home).

Attachments

• image-3098447001.jpg
    image-3098447001.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 138
  • image-3627959539.jpg
    image-3627959539.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 148
Looks way better than I thought it would.Nice!

Very nice, light, not too slippery, and won't break glasses and stuff you set down too hard.
Steve W.

I like it, and will keep it in mind.

I can't begin to remember the number of temporary fixes that lasted until I sold the boat.

Looks great and the price is right too. Sometimes there's no need to strip the boat and go over the top when something this simple is acceptable. Seen way too many land based home remodels start simple and grow large.

I was ready to do a whole new top. Now I'll do this.

Thanks,
Terry

I have remnants of two boxes (different patterns) of those tiles, used them in my hall bath and my laundry closet at home. Your post opened my eyes-- the tiles would be prefect on the board underneath the head on the boat-there is a 2" hole the old head needed that the new one doesn't. I was thinking of buying laminate and laminating a new board but this is MUCH simplier and I already have the material! Thank you Adelaide for the great idea!!

Thanks guys. It was a lot of fun to do this job for my Parents.... actually I did the demolition/sink install, wife (HS math teacher and perfectionist) did the measuring and cutting. we're a good team :D

Back
Top Bottom