Old 07-17-2016, 07:31 PM   #1
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
A New Chandlery?

Noticed for the first time today Amazon carries electronics to anchors, outboard motors, dinghies, bow thrusters, stern drive units, windlasses and more. Furuno SiTex Raymarine Mantus Rocna Mercury Suzuki Volvo UFlex are but a few of the brands represented.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:40 PM   #2
Guru

City: RI
Amazon is so convenient...I hate to admit that it is usually the first place I look. If it is an Amazon Prime sale it is hard to beat, regardless of the price!
Bruce

Old 07-17-2016, 08:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Zara / Journey
Vessel Model: 1971 Grand Banks 36CL / 1980 Roughwater 41
Ditto that. Just ordered 500 tongue depessors for mixing epoxy, paint etc. $9.00 Delivered to the door. Hard to beat. (Not sure what I'll do with the other 450)
OreWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 07-17-2016, 08:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Zara / Journey
Vessel Model: 1971 Grand Banks 36CL / 1980 Roughwater 41
Lordy.....not gonna show that to the Admiral. She'll have them hanging all over the place.
OreWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #6

City: San Pedro, CA
Vessel Name: Satori
Vessel Model: 1985 Fu Hwa
This is part of the new world order - right?

West Marine kills mom and pop chandleries...

Amazon Prime kills West Marine?

Or is there room in the marketplace for all to coexist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Noticed for the first time today Amazon carries electronics to anchors, outboard motors, dinghies, bow thrusters, stern drive units, windlasses and more. Furuno SiTex Raymarine Mantus Rocna Mercury Suzuki Volvo UFlex are but a few of the brands represented.
CarlinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #7

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Amazon, Ebay and others will show you how badly you've been over charged for marine anything. But some cheap stuff is really cheap stuff.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:36 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Amazon, Ebay and others will show you how badly you've been over charged for marine anything. But some cheap stuff is really cheap stuff.
When you're right you're right. I just got a replacement holding tank macerator pump off eBay, and it's so pathetic it does not come close to self-priming, even at 18" above the tank, when it's specs claim 4' dry and 5' wet self-priming.
What chance of money back I wonder..? I thought the rusted TMC one it replaced was bad enough. It never self-primed either, but I had a way of priming it so it worked - until it seized. That trick does not work with this one. Ok, its Chinese made - should known I guess...
Old 07-17-2016, 11:32 PM   #9
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlinLA View Post
This is part of the new world order - right?

West Marine kills mom and pop chandleries...

Amazon Prime kills West Marine?

Or is there room in the marketplace for all to coexist?
Yup. Those places can't hold a flame to the customer service level routinely shown by Hopcar and other smaller stores with people who really care
Old 07-18-2016, 07:26 AM   #10
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Yup. Those places can't hold a flame to the customer service level routinely shown by Hopcar and other smaller stores with people who really care
Ditto... Agreed...

I don't mind paying some premium for good products; especially when there are persons who "got my back"... Like Hopcar
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

City: New Haven
Vessel Name: Chesapeake
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II
Though their prices are high, I hope West Marine sticks around. It's really the only local store that carries boating supplies and I really don't mind having to pay a premium for the convenience if I need something right away. The high prices seem justified to me because the small market they sell to and how many of there customers just window shop and then buy online. This past week I needed to replace an oarlock on my dinghy and after looking online I wasn't sure which one would work. I went to West Marine and bought one, tried it and it worked so I returned it and went back online to get the same item for 1/2 the price.
Tamrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Rhode River, MD
Vessel Name: WayWeGo
Vessel Model: Trojan F36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Ditto... Agreed...

I don't mind paying some premium for good products; especially when there are persons who "got my back"... Like Hopcar
+1

On a related note, I think using a brick and mortar store to evaluate products and then purchasing online is not ethical. I buy lots of stuff online, but if I go to a store to investigate a product, I buy it there.
Waywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

City: New Haven
Vessel Name: Chesapeake
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II
I can assure you, I spread the the money around. I have spent many thousands of dollars at WM over many years. In some cases, spending much more than if I did buy online. Once and a while though, on a few items, I just feel I'm not interested in paying double or more. So perhaps, well yes, to some people it may not seem the most ethical way, but so be it.
Tamrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:54 AM   #14
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Back when WM would price match online advertised prices I would shop online first and then go to WM and buy it. I did that for two reasons. 1. I like their customer service and return policy. 2. I want to see brick and mortar stores hang around. Since they quit price matching I now buy most everything online.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #15
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
When you buy on line pay attention to customer reviews.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:08 PM   #16
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
When you're right you're right. I just got a replacement holding tank macerator pump off eBay, and it's so pathetic it does not come close to self-priming, even at 18" above the tank, when it's specs claim 4' dry and 5' wet self-priming.
What chance of money back I wonder..? I thought the rusted TMC one it replaced was bad enough. It never self-primed either, but I had a way of priming it so it worked - until it seized. That trick does not work with this one. Ok, its Chinese made - should known I guess...

Look at customer reviews. I got this macerator off Ebay. I was replacing Jabsco pumps every year. I bought two of these three years ago and am still running the first unit.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1468861707.363634.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	54319
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:23 PM   #17
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
Back when WM would price match online advertised prices I would shop online first and then go to WM and buy it. I did that for two reasons. 1. I like their customer service and return policy. 2. I want to see brick and mortar stores hang around. Since they quit price matching I now buy most everything online.
So what you are saying is that a few dollars saved is more important than your 1 and 2 above?

I buy lots of stuff online, Amazon, ebay, Defender etc... However, like you I think that having a local brick and mortar chandlery is important. In the small village where my boat is docked, I am fortunate to have both a small WM store (very small unfortunately) as well as an independent chandlery. I make sure that I do business with both. I want them to continue to be in operation. If I am down washing the boat and run out of boat soap, I don't want to have to stop and wait two days to get an Amazon prime delivery, I want to drive the 1/2 mile and pick up some boat soap. It is the same with all kinds of stuff. Both WM and the local guys will order in things they don't have and they are pretty fast.

Sure there are some items that I will order from Defender, I am not a purist. Heck, I even bought a battery for my dinghy from Walmart over the weekend because it was the only place I could find one (I would have much preferred to spend 3x as much and bought it from WM if they had one, I hate Walmart with a passion).

One thing that I will never do and I have complete and utter contempt for those that do this, is to go into a brick and mortar store and shop, taking up the salesperson's time, using their expertise, playing with and viewing their display models etc... and then purchasing the item online. That is a disgusting practice that is close to thievery. Simply put, if you want to see and touch before you buy, then buy it from the folks whose resources you are using.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:55 PM   #18
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
One thing that I will never do and I have complete and utter contempt for those that do this, is to go into a brick and mortar store and shop, taking up the salesperson's time, using their expertise, playing with and viewing their display models etc... and then purchasing the item online. That is a disgusting practice that is close to thievery. Simply put, if you want to see and touch before you buy, then buy it from the folks whose resources you are using.
I use to have a brick and mortar scuba diving store. People would come in and try on dive gear to get the size correct and then buy it mail order. Had a sign in the store for regulator (breathing apparatus) repair.

SHOP LABOR RATES:
$60 per hour
$100 per hour if you purchased it somewhere else
$150 per hour if you would like to watch
$200 per hour if you worked on it first

People would ask if I was kidding. Nope, to my good customer I would offer a competitive labor rate and take care or the manufacturers extended parts warranties. To everybody else, I'll get to you after I take care of the people who keep me in business.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #19
GT6
Veteran Member

City: Fall City
Couple of real questions; How did you know they bought online after fitting in your store? Why would someone buy elsewhere instead of your firm?

Second, I've run into the other scenario a bunch while traveling. Our ski boat needed a repair on the second day of vacation, and the local dealer very first thing, asked if we bought it there. No we had not, because we were 1400 miles from home. We needed help. Unfortunately, they "couldn't get us in" until sometime after our vacation ended. So, we had three weeks on a lake with no boat.

Because of that mentality, in my business, we treat all customers equally; First in, first out. Same price for all. Got a problem that puts you dead in the water, we'll figure out how to get you up and running asap. No matter where you bought your unit. That probably is one reason we're the fastest growing and number one company in our industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I use to have a brick and mortar scuba diving store. People would come in and try on dive gear to get the size correct and then buy it mail order. Had a sign in the store for regulator (breathing apparatus) repair.

SHOP LABOR RATES:
$60 per hour
$100 per hour if you purchased it somewhere else
$150 per hour if you would like to watch
$200 per hour if you worked on it first

People would ask if I was kidding. Nope, to my good customer I would offer a competitive labor rate and take care or the manufacturers extended parts warranties. To everybody else, I'll get to you after I take care of the people who keep me in business.

Ted
GT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:34 PM   #20
Guru

City: Trenton
"Our ski boat needed a repair on the second day of vacation, and the local dealer very first thing, asked if we bought it there. No we had not, because we were 1400 miles from home."

If he was so stupid that he had to ask if you bought it there you should have said "Yes!".

alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote