New build - Hampton Endurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One question and a few observations.

The question is what is the air draft of the boat?

-Sleeping quarters. Even the third stateroom is still very comfortable. Even more, like the crew cabin. Even for a boat not with a crew, there are just those rare times everyone comes and you have comfortable space. Many European boats in this and larger sizes have crew cabins that are unfit for anyone to actually have to spend several nights in.

-So many smart little things. Look at the stairs to the flybridge. Very nice. Good doors to both side decks.

I just think it's an extremely well designed boat.

B - addressing your question/thoughts:

Airdraft is 19' to top of hardtop, then the antenna mast is another 6' or so with the domes. We don't have many bridges to contend with here in the PNW.

Crew quarters/Laz. On all of the boats I have seen of theirs, this aft section is built out in crew quarters. Quite luxurious as you pointed out. I'd certainly have no problem staying there. We don't have, don't anticipate a load of grandkids. While I'm sure there will be a few times where we could take advantage of the crew qtrs, I opted to build the space out as a working lazarette. I wanted a nice tool bench, lots of storage, nice access to items like the watermaker, and so on. The laz also has a wet locker that we can store fishing items/traps, etc. Can you say Nautical Man Cave?

Stairs/Well designed. In the "Meet Mahalo" section of the blog I mentioned the stairs, how all of them are very much "house like." This became a main selling feature for us. And it seems like every day on various forums I read another instance of a boater being injured on his or her stairs.

If you watched the video, you may have noticed that there are internal stairs from the salon to the crew quarters/engine room. We have that too, but of course leading into the laz. So one doesn't have to go outside the boat in order to do engine checks, fetch items from the laz and so on.

Previous boats have a somewhat cumbersome method of closing off the crew qtrs from the salon, at the top of the stairs. HYG worked with us to instead do a door at the bottom of the stairs which we feel will be great.

Very much appreciate your thoughts/interest! JustBob.

Many thanks for letting us follow along on your build. We saw the 658 at the recent Seattle show and were thoroughly impressed, not in the position to afford it yet, but one day...

Also, Scott is a top notch agent!

Bob,
It gets better every new blog entry. She’s a beaut!!

Cheers

No idea, never thought to ask. Perhaps that is just the way they do it there? Issues?

JustBob
M/V Mahalo - Blog

There are different grades of copper, being a builder on Long Island for many years I have come across radiant of all types. During the 50’s 60’ Levittown was born, the houses had radiant copper throughout the first floor, something in the concrete ; probably lime caused across the board failure, over the years most every home had to abandon the radiant in exchange for baseboard etc..
As soon as Pex became available it is the only product that is currently in use for floor heating..

Last edited:
I agree with Genecop. The builder should be using Pex through out the vessel for water plumbing. Pex is also better during freezing as it will not break.

Copper is a better thermal conductor and would be better to transmit the heat to 5e flooring than a plastic thermal insulator like pex.

Copper is a better thermal conductor and would be better to transmit the heat to 5e flooring than a plastic thermal insulator like pex.
:thumb: It would be interesting to know what they're using (cement?) to to hold the tubing in place.:blush:

Last edited:
I love the turtles!!!
Such a neat idea.

If that was the case most Alaskans would be using cooper and not Pex. Cooper seems to be yesterday's technology and more expensive.

I agree with Genecop. The builder should be using Pex through out the vessel for water plumbing. Pex is also better during freezing as it will not break.

Reading numerous web pages, it looks like DIY'ers prefer Pex because it is easier to work with and less expensive.

I do believe most of the rest of the plumbing is Pex. I believe they use the copper here because of superior heat conduction.

I have a complete set of photos of inside all the walls, and a numbered legend for where the picture was taken in the boat. Attached is one as an example.

In any case, they have been successful with this method over quite a few boats, not something I'm going to jump into.

And also, I really cannot imagine a scenario where our boat could freeze? I just checked the water temp at a buoy in Prince William Sound, it's 41.5 degrees at this moment. The reading I did on Pex says it can expand several times. That would really tear everything up.

Thanks everyone!

JustBob
M/V Mahalo - Blog

Attachments

• plumbing-143001.jpg
    plumbing-143001.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 174
You are getting plumbing and water schematics? Nice

I call first dibs on Mahalo when Bob tires of her... :whistling: (dreaming along!)

However, I have always thought that in addition to that, ideally the king or Queen bed should be athwartships, rather than head to bow, and wonder what your plans re this are.

My reasoning is that if one ends up in an anchorage with some swell rocking the boat, the movement is then just a gentle head to toe, (rock you to sleep), instead of rolly-polly sideways, which means uncomfortable sleep with frequent involuntary muscle responses, in attempts to stop the roll.
Peter, I've bought in to this suggestion for years! It's not just minimizing the roll in an anchorage.....it also has to do with your inner ear & the cochlea fluid which slaps back & forth against the nerve endings in a beam sea. This is what causes sea sickness!
My wife put this to a test when a feeling of sea sickness was coming on. She went to the stateroom & positioned herself across the bow to stern bed for a nap. Sea sickness gone in minutes!

You are absolutely correct! (Does the fact that you are a physician play any part in your suggestion?) :blush:

Imagine the inclinometer pictured below in a head sea...no movement! Now picture it in a beam sea...the movement you see is the cochlea fluid in your inner ear, splashing back & forth, making you sick.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 5.25.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 5.25.56 PM.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 647
Last edited:
"My reasoning is that if one ends up in an anchorage with some swell rocking the boat, the movement is then just a gentle head to toe, (rock you to sleep), instead of rolly-polly sideways, which means uncomfortable sleep with frequent involuntary muscle responses, in attempts to stop the roll."

Folks that anchor out in a really rolly place like ST Barts simply use 2 anchors and turn the boat to lie head to the seas.

Several new posts from the past couple of weeks. Including today's, "Taking the Helm," discussing how I got to the helm design and a picture from the factory.

Enjoy!

Several new posts from the past couple of weeks. Including today's, "Taking the Helm," discussing how I got to the helm design and a picture from the factory.

Enjoy!

I like the decisions you have made on the helm. You might wish to check to see what the USB output is for that charger that is integrated with the switches and make sure it will charge as well you wish.

My boat, like most, has the controls and displays laid out pretty well, but they spread them out. I would have preferred to have them bunch up together more to give me some more open space to both use to set things or to add additional components in the future. Redoing the helm at this point wouldn't be too hard a project, but I'm too lazy.

Dave - glad you approve! You have a lot of time at the helm so that means a lot to me.

I checked on the charger while at the yard, it's the high output type.

When is no website better than an unfinished one?

Looking at Howard Apollonio's website (Marine Architect for McKenna, Hampton and others) and find it filled with standard latin website garbage...

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Morbi molestie aliquam sem id lacinia. Vestibulum posuere suscipit quam, quis malesuada magna iaculis non. Morbi ultricies, libero vel pretium tincidunt, mauris metus luctus sapien, nec pretium nunc erat ac ipsum. Donec convallis turpis ac scelerisque pharetra. Vestibulum mollis ultrices ultrices. In venenatis orci elit, ac porta diam consectetur ac. Nunc ac dolor dolor. Quisque ornare sagittis scelerisque. Sed tristique efficitur dignissim. Phasellus placerat scelerisque accumsan. In sed pharetra metus.

Apollonio Naval Architecture – Your Source for Superior Vessl Design

You would think that he would not have that public until it was ready for the public.

On the other hand, he's an NA, not a webmaster :)

How exciting!

So will we be seeing Mahalo cruising South Sound, San Juan Islands, Desolation this season?

Did they have to modify the pilot house to configure the windows? She looks great with the reverse rake windows. :thumb:

Awesome and so happy for you guys!!! Yes I am jealous.....

How exciting!

So will we be seeing Mahalo cruising South Sound, San Juan Islands, Desolation this season?

Did they have to modify the pilot house to configure the windows? She looks great with the reverse rake windows. :thumb:

Yes we will be cruising those waters, plus Gulf Islands. Not sure we will get up to Desolation this year.

Luckily they already had a mold for the reverse rake. I never asked if it was used before. Will have to do that. I will be at the factory in about two weeks.

She's in the water! M/V Mahalo - Blog.

Very nice Bob. You keep updating the Blog so often that I miss things. I just read the post about the flybridge.

FWIW, on Kinship we have a flybridge that gets used “occasionally”. I think that is how it should be in the PNW. When the weather is nice, it can be pleasant on the FB. I have a Bimini but no side canvas or windows. So the original owner of my NP43 fitted the boat out with the suggestions of Trevor Brice, North Pacific Yachts owner. What he came up with looks LOT like what you are doing. Single MFD, thruster controls, windlass controls, basic engine instruments, VHF, rudder position indicator, depth indicator, spot light control, and switches for running lights and horn.

It seems like a lot when I type it out, but it is pretty basic. The only thing that I wish was there, and it isn’t is a control for the Autopilot. This isn’t absolutely necessary as I have a wireless remote for the AP, but I have set the AP in the PH and gone up to the FB only to realize that I don’t have the remote and can’t disengage the AP.

Anyway, like your Helm decisions in the PH, I really like the way you have thought it through and I think the decisions you have made make a huge amount of sense.

What a beautiful boat! Congrats.

Bob, did the reverse rake windows change the build of the pilothouse area? What did they have to modify in comparison to the standard configuration?

Love being able to follow your build, the changes you have made are excellent and seeing the final results will be incredible. Thanks again for letting us follow along.

Can't wait to see Mahalo in our cruising grounds. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom