New Boat = No Sleep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshillam

Guru
Vessel Name
Our Heaven
Vessel Make
1997 4800 Navigator
I don't know about the day you picked up your new vessel but today I am like a kid the night before Christmas. I tried to sleep past 330 am but no such luck. I tossed and turned until I could not stand it anymore. Thinking of all the projects that need to happen, all the projects we want to take on and all the cool modifications and upgrades that wait our new boat.

Today we'll head out and pick up our new vessel. I have a friend that is going as an extra set of hands the first time out. 22 NM from our origination point to destination. It will be nice to have her out this afternoon stretching her legs and then starts the clean up and provisioning!

Let us know how the initial voyage goes

Watch the weather today- it's forecasted to be rainy and windy....

Thank you, we're already getting rain here in Bellingham. Such is the PNW. We'll be watching the wind as well.

Best of luck for that initial voyage. First trip in a new boat is always exciting. So savor it.

John

Just checked, NOAA says 1ft for less for the afternoon. We should be good to go. I am so looking forward to today and this coming weekend. Will be spending sometime this weekend Friday through Sunday!

You think you didn't get any sleep prior to picking up the new boat .. just wait until you get it home!

The Admiral has been complaining that she hasn't seen me for the last month since getting the new to us boat..
so many projects to do... so little time!

Good luck with the new boat!
HOLLYWOOD

Good Luck and great cruising. Which boat are you getting, I must have missed something?

Tollycraft 34' convertible twin crusaders

Nice boat, I finally saw your post about it and went to your photo album. Tolly's are one our favorites. Love their lines, safety record and stout build.

Yeah, it's like Christmas eve anticipating opening presents the next morning.

For me, there was also a lot of anxiety over the multiple crane liftings and lost container loads on the Coot's transpacific voyage.

ry%3D400

I didn't sleep well the first week aboard :) I had to KNOW what every noise was as it occurred, so I was down on my hands and knees waiting for the sound to repeat so I could narrow it down. That can take a while... Now they are all the sounds of a healthy and living boat to me! Silence is as scary as a strange noise :)

I have to agree on the lack of sleep. I worry about my boat as though it is something that has only been entrusted to me. Water intrusion is the thing I loose the most sleep about. Until I've finished the deck projects and see for myself that it is sealed properly, I doubt it will change. This far, I've found no real problems, but I still worry.

That's funny, I sleep like a baby on my boat. Something my wife noticed the first night. When stepping on the boat all troubles and cares get left on the dock.

First cruise

What can I say, things couldn't have gone much better. We pulled out of La Conner at about 245pm. Got fuel as the PO wasn't sure how much was there and the fuel gauges are none op. (Which is another reason to replace the tanks - yes I know fuel sending units would be a lot cheaper but that's ok.) Enjoyed a day with just a bit of a sprinkle. Spent the whole time up on the fly bridge. I got the engines up to 3600rpm which the previous sea trial we only got them up to 3100 as the props had some growth on them. Wow 500 rpm gain by just scraping crud off the props when it was hulled for bottom inspection! Starboard side engine was sitting about 50 on the oil gauge but the Port side wouldn't creep past 25/30 even at the higher RPM range. Checked the oil both leaving La Conner and prior to Bellingham bay. I was idling at about 600rpms (maybe a bit too low) and the low oil alarm went off. I discovered 30 weight was used by the prior owner and I am thinking of changing to 10w-40. I'll do a bit more research on these crusaders. By just bringing the idle up to about 700 the alarm turned off.
Came into port took two tries to dock the boat in our tight little slip. Didn't hit anything and felt pretty good about how smoothly it just slipped in. I had a real good 1st mate helping with the lines. I really like the weight of the boat as it handles very well.
Now starts the list of improvements, fixes, and catching up some maintenance.

It's great to hear about this level of enthusiasm again. I remember the same feelings when buying our boat. Unfortunately, the Admiral didn't share in my euphoria.

I still get excited about new mods...I guess that's why I keep creating the need for new projects. I enjoy planning the project in advance, thinking through the purchases and predicting the most optimum order and timing of events. I spend many, many sleepless hours with my brain engaged in planning my next boat project. Some come with excitement...some with angst...some with dread, but they all get priority for analysis in lieu of my restful slumber. I guess it's the curse of a trawlerman.

It's great to hear about this level of enthusiasm again. I remember the same feelings when buying our boat. Unfortunately, the Admiral didn't share in my euphoria.

Threaten to demote her to Vice Admiral, then Al...

What can I say, things couldn't have gone much better. We pulled out of La Conner at about 245pm. Got fuel as the PO wasn't sure how much was there and the fuel gauges are none op. (Which is another reason to replace the tanks - yes I know fuel sending units would be a lot cheaper but that's ok.) Enjoyed a day with just a bit of a sprinkle. Spent the whole time up on the fly bridge. I got the engines up to 3600rpm which the previous sea trial we only got them up to 3100 as the props had some growth on them. Wow 500 rpm gain by just scraping crud off the props when it was hulled for bottom inspection! Starboard side engine was sitting about 50 on the oil gauge but the Port side wouldn't creep past 25/30 even at the higher RPM range. Checked the oil both leaving La Conner and prior to Bellingham bay. I was idling at about 600rpms (maybe a bit too low) and the low oil alarm went off. I discovered 30 weight was used by the prior owner and I am thinking of changing to 10w-40. I'll do a bit more research on these crusaders. By just bringing the idle up to about 700 the alarm turned off.
Came into port took two tries to dock the boat in our tight little slip. Didn't hit anything and felt pretty good about how smoothly it just slipped in. I had a real good 1st mate helping with the lines. I really like the weight of the boat as it handles very well.

Now starts the list of improvements, fixes, and catching up some maintenance.

I thought you were coming up from Edmonds. I didn't realize you're boat was in LaConner.....I would have walked the docks and checked her out.....Oh well, I am glad you had a great trip and first cruise. :thumb:

I started cleaning her up and opening all the drawers and cabinets. Went through all my towels and then some. I will attack her again tomorrow. This was just on the inside! I found some cool things and so far everything works as it should. I also took my son for a little tender ride so that was fun. Listen to a little tunes and watched some TV (my son did while I worked). Tomorrow, fresh 10-40 in the engines with new filters. I am sure the PO changed them but I don't have those records. Cheap insurance.
With crusaders one w/ 1300 and the other with only 450 would you recommend the ZDDP that Al spoke about? What should my oil pressure be? I am trying to surf the web and getting conflicting info.

ZDDP is a great idea- and its as simple as using 15w40 diesel oil vice 10w, or using GM EOS in your 10w oil.

Check the oil pressure gauges by swapping the senders out between gauges. You may find a simple problem that is easily solvable.

That's funny, I sleep like a baby on my boat. Something my wife noticed the first night. When stepping on the boat all troubles and cares get left on the dock.

I guess I should have added that when I'm on the boat, I sleep fine. It's when I'm away from the boat that I worry about not being on it.

Glad that you're energetically tackling the projects of your new boat. The sure way of learning your boat is to clean it, fix it, update it, and especially maintain it.

Congrats glad to hear it went so well

ZDDP is a great idea- and its as simple as using 15w40 diesel oil vice 10w, or using GM EOS in your 10w oil.
I personally don't like using additives in oils since it would be so difficult to get the correct ratio of additives to base oil, I would rather use the correct product the first time.

Mobil has the info on their oils on their web site:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf

Since my "fun" car has a flat 6 air-cooled engine the ZDDP issue is near and dear to my heart and something I take into consideration when choosing the oil for it.

Congrats on the new boat!

OK - So here's my engine oil-lube mix for ya...

This is comprised via recommendations of a decades experienced marine mechanic and a decades experienced auto mechanic; as well as my own decades of experiences and web based research. I’ve used this mix for many years – with not one problem!

I use the following in all my (pre mid 90’s marine and auto) classic, “flat tappet”, gasoline engines that have no catalytic converter – one engine is a 1967, 10.5 to 1, 430 cid, 360 hp Buick Wildcat dual exhaust screamer motor (newer engines with roller bearing lifters and cat-converters get factory recommended lubes):

- Valvoline Premium Blue 15W-40 Heavy Duty Conventional Motor Oil: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_x_12017303-P_x_x?cm_mmc=ACQ-_-Google-_-enhancedRM-_-12017303&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=12017303&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=&gclid=CPe-qtqBv7kCFeqDQgod3V0AAA#utm_source=acq&utm_medium=google&utm_campaign=enhancedrm&utm_content=12017303

- 4 oz ZDDP: http://www.zddplus.com/

- If lube fluid is needed between oil changes – I add applicable amount of Lucas HD Oil Stabilizer: http://www.gpartsinc.com/p-4285-lucas-oil-10001-heavy-duty-oil-stabilizer-32-oz-bottle.aspx?catargetid=1816008475&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CKjc_fSCv7kCFY9eQgodhDAA9Q

Note:

- I use conventional oil because I change at 100 hrs or sooner in marine and 2.5K mi or sooner in auto/truck engines. Can’t see paying synthetic prices when I would keep change rates the same.
- Halfway between all oil changes I add an additional 4 oz of ZDDP

Valvoline HD Diesel Oil has high content of detergents for cleaning engine interiors, great ability to undergo extreme heat and bearing pressures, and a fair content of zinc.

ZDDP provides extreme content of zinc to be sure a lube barrier remains intact at bearing surfaces and as cam lobes travel past flat tappet lifter basses.

Lucas Stabilizer adds just a touch more flow quality and viscosity capability to already used oils in an engine before the next oil change

Important: Valvoline diesel oil with zinc and ZDDP can ruin cat-converters!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom