Old 09-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #1

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: Willard 30' Searcher
New Boat = No Sleep

I don't know about the day you picked up your new vessel but today I am like a kid the night before Christmas. I tried to sleep past 330 am but no such luck. I tossed and turned until I could not stand it anymore. Thinking of all the projects that need to happen, all the projects we want to take on and all the cool modifications and upgrades that wait our new boat.

Today we'll head out and pick up our new vessel. I have a friend that is going as an extra set of hands the first time out. 22 NM from our origination point to destination. It will be nice to have her out this afternoon stretching her legs and then starts the clean up and provisioning!

Old 09-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Let us know how the initial voyage goes

siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Watch the weather today- it's forecasted to be rainy and windy....

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #4

Thank you, we're already getting rain here in Bellingham. Such is the PNW. We'll be watching the wind as well.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Best of luck for that initial voyage. First trip in a new boat is always exciting. So savor it.

John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #6

Just checked, NOAA says 1ft for less for the afternoon. We should be good to go. I am so looking forward to today and this coming weekend. Will be spending sometime this weekend Friday through Sunday!
Old 09-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
You think you didn't get any sleep prior to picking up the new boat .. just wait until you get it home!

The Admiral has been complaining that she hasn't seen me for the last month since getting the new to us boat..
so many projects to do... so little time!

Good luck with the new boat!
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
Good Luck and great cruising. Which boat are you getting, I must have missed something?
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #9

Tollycraft 34' convertible twin crusaders
Old 09-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
Nice boat, I finally saw your post about it and went to your photo album. Tolly's are one our favorites. Love their lines, safety record and stout build.
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Yeah, it's like Christmas eve anticipating opening presents the next morning.

For me, there was also a lot of anxiety over the multiple crane liftings and lost container loads on the Coot's transpacific voyage.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #12
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I didn't sleep well the first week aboard :-) I had to KNOW what every noise was as it occurred, so I was down on my hands and knees waiting for the sound to repeat so I could narrow it down. That can take a while... Now they are all the sounds of a healthy and living boat to me! Silence is as scary as a strange noise :-)
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #13
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I have to agree on the lack of sleep. I worry about my boat as though it is something that has only been entrusted to me. Water intrusion is the thing I loose the most sleep about. Until I've finished the deck projects and see for myself that it is sealed properly, I doubt it will change. This far, I've found no real problems, but I still worry.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #14
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
That's funny, I sleep like a baby on my boat. Something my wife noticed the first night. When stepping on the boat all troubles and cares get left on the dock.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #15

First cruise

What can I say, things couldn't have gone much better. We pulled out of La Conner at about 245pm. Got fuel as the PO wasn't sure how much was there and the fuel gauges are none op. (Which is another reason to replace the tanks - yes I know fuel sending units would be a lot cheaper but that's ok.) Enjoyed a day with just a bit of a sprinkle. Spent the whole time up on the fly bridge. I got the engines up to 3600rpm which the previous sea trial we only got them up to 3100 as the props had some growth on them. Wow 500 rpm gain by just scraping crud off the props when it was hulled for bottom inspection! Starboard side engine was sitting about 50 on the oil gauge but the Port side wouldn't creep past 25/30 even at the higher RPM range. Checked the oil both leaving La Conner and prior to Bellingham bay. I was idling at about 600rpms (maybe a bit too low) and the low oil alarm went off. I discovered 30 weight was used by the prior owner and I am thinking of changing to 10w-40. I'll do a bit more research on these crusaders. By just bringing the idle up to about 700 the alarm turned off.
Came into port took two tries to dock the boat in our tight little slip. Didn't hit anything and felt pretty good about how smoothly it just slipped in. I had a real good 1st mate helping with the lines. I really like the weight of the boat as it handles very well.
Now starts the list of improvements, fixes, and catching up some maintenance.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #16
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Whoopi. . . .Sounds like fun
Old 09-04-2013, 02:22 AM   #17
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
It's great to hear about this level of enthusiasm again. I remember the same feelings when buying our boat. Unfortunately, the Admiral didn't share in my euphoria.

I still get excited about new mods...I guess that's why I keep creating the need for new projects. I enjoy planning the project in advance, thinking through the purchases and predicting the most optimum order and timing of events. I spend many, many sleepless hours with my brain engaged in planning my next boat project. Some come with excitement...some with angst...some with dread, but they all get priority for analysis in lieu of my restful slumber. I guess it's the curse of a trawlerman.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:30 AM   #18
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
It's great to hear about this level of enthusiasm again. I remember the same feelings when buying our boat. Unfortunately, the Admiral didn't share in my euphoria.
Threaten to demote her to Vice Admiral, then Al...
Old 09-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #19

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
What can I say, things couldn't have gone much better. We pulled out of La Conner at about 245pm. Got fuel as the PO wasn't sure how much was there and the fuel gauges are none op. (Which is another reason to replace the tanks - yes I know fuel sending units would be a lot cheaper but that's ok.) Enjoyed a day with just a bit of a sprinkle. Spent the whole time up on the fly bridge. I got the engines up to 3600rpm which the previous sea trial we only got them up to 3100 as the props had some growth on them. Wow 500 rpm gain by just scraping crud off the props when it was hulled for bottom inspection! Starboard side engine was sitting about 50 on the oil gauge but the Port side wouldn't creep past 25/30 even at the higher RPM range. Checked the oil both leaving La Conner and prior to Bellingham bay. I was idling at about 600rpms (maybe a bit too low) and the low oil alarm went off. I discovered 30 weight was used by the prior owner and I am thinking of changing to 10w-40. I'll do a bit more research on these crusaders. By just bringing the idle up to about 700 the alarm turned off.
Came into port took two tries to dock the boat in our tight little slip. Didn't hit anything and felt pretty good about how smoothly it just slipped in. I had a real good 1st mate helping with the lines. I really like the weight of the boat as it handles very well.

Now starts the list of improvements, fixes, and catching up some maintenance.

I thought you were coming up from Edmonds. I didn't realize you're boat was in LaConner.....I would have walked the docks and checked her out.....Oh well, I am glad you had a great trip and first cruise.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #20

I started cleaning her up and opening all the drawers and cabinets. Went through all my towels and then some. I will attack her again tomorrow. This was just on the inside! I found some cool things and so far everything works as it should. I also took my son for a little tender ride so that was fun. Listen to a little tunes and watched some TV (my son did while I worked). Tomorrow, fresh 10-40 in the engines with new filters. I am sure the PO changed them but I don't have those records. Cheap insurance.
With crusaders one w/ 1300 and the other with only 450 would you recommend the ZDDP that Al spoke about? What should my oil pressure be? I am trying to surf the web and getting conflicting info.