Old 09-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #21

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
ZDDP is a great idea- and its as simple as using 15w40 diesel oil vice 10w, or using GM EOS in your 10w oil.

Peter- Marine Insurance Guru & tuna fishing addict!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #22
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Check the oil pressure gauges by swapping the senders out between gauges. You may find a simple problem that is easily solvable.

Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #23
City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
That's funny, I sleep like a baby on my boat. Something my wife noticed the first night. When stepping on the boat all troubles and cares get left on the dock.
I guess I should have added that when I'm on the boat, I sleep fine. It's when I'm away from the boat that I worry about not being on it.

Glad that you're energetically tackling the projects of your new boat. The sure way of learning your boat is to clean it, fix it, update it, and especially maintain it.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #24
City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Congrats glad to hear it went so well
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #25
Veteran Member
City: Near Nashville
Vessel Name: No name either
Vessel Model: No boat yet
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
ZDDP is a great idea- and its as simple as using 15w40 diesel oil vice 10w, or using GM EOS in your 10w oil.
I personally don't like using additives in oils since it would be so difficult to get the correct ratio of additives to base oil, I would rather use the correct product the first time.

Mobil has the info on their oils on their web site:

Since my "fun" car has a flat 6 air-cooled engine the ZDDP issue is near and dear to my heart and something I take into consideration when choosing the oil for it.

Congrats on the new boat!
993guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #26
City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
OK - So here's my engine oil-lube mix for ya...

This is comprised via recommendations of a decades experienced marine mechanic and a decades experienced auto mechanic; as well as my own decades of experiences and web based research. I’ve used this mix for many years – with not one problem!

I use the following in all my (pre mid 90’s marine and auto) classic, “flat tappet”, gasoline engines that have no catalytic converter – one engine is a 1967, 10.5 to 1, 430 cid, 360 hp Buick Wildcat dual exhaust screamer motor (newer engines with roller bearing lifters and cat-converters get factory recommended lubes):

- Valvoline Premium Blue 15W-40 Heavy Duty Conventional Motor Oil: a&ci_kw=&gclid=CPe-qtqBv7kCFeqDQgod3V0AAA#utm_source=acq&utm_medium=g oogle&utm_campaign=enhancedrm&utm_content=12017303

- 4 oz ZDDP:

- If lube fluid is needed between oil changes – I add applicable amount of Lucas HD Oil Stabilizer: pn=pla&gclid=CKjc_fSCv7kCFY9eQgodhDAA9Q

- I use conventional oil because I change at 100 hrs or sooner in marine and 2.5K mi or sooner in auto/truck engines. Can’t see paying synthetic prices when I would keep change rates the same.
- Halfway between all oil changes I add an additional 4 oz of ZDDP

Valvoline HD Diesel Oil has high content of detergents for cleaning engine interiors, great ability to undergo extreme heat and bearing pressures, and a fair content of zinc.

ZDDP provides extreme content of zinc to be sure a lube barrier remains intact at bearing surfaces and as cam lobes travel past flat tappet lifter basses.

Lucas Stabilizer adds just a touch more flow quality and viscosity capability to already used oils in an engine before the next oil change

Important: Valvoline diesel oil with zinc and ZDDP can ruin cat-converters!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote