The New Best Tender/Dink Thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since we have never ending best anchor threads, some votes of which seem to be based on popularity, I thought I'd start a best tender/dink thread based on what I've seen lately. :)

So what are the most popular dinks/tenders you see in your area?

Attachments

• flip2.jpg
    flip2.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 158
Last edited by a moderator:
And these:

Attachments

• flip2.jpg
    flip2.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 142
And a few more:

Attachments

• flip2.jpg
    flip2.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 151
Fast, economical - Crestliner tow behind runabout w/ 50 hp Johnson. Comfortably seats four back to back and cruises easily at 25 to 27. 39 + knots with just me at WOT / on GPS. Approx 20 mpg with just Linda and me at an easy going 20 to 25 knots.

Attachments

• DSCN1954.jpg
    DSCN1954.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 149
  • DSCN1955.jpg
    DSCN1955.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCN1959.jpg
    DSCN1959.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 100_0434.JPG
    100_0434.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
This is our big one we tow, it's the best tender IMO.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437303749.823486.jpg

I personally prefer inflatables as tenders; and from my experience, anything constructed of hypalon holds-up very well in Florida and is worth the added expense. My vote goes to the Achilles LT-2 and LT-4 as a personal favorite: small, light weight, and long life expectancy.

But your question asked what is the most popular in my area! Definitely inflatables or RIBs. I see a lot of West Marine brand inflatables in particular.

We had a Nuvorania 14 CC that we used for years when the kids were smaller. Used it for skiing, tubing and general stuff. It was my sanity resource to keep them busy. Loved that boat. Traded it last year for a Caribe 11 CC as kids are gone and the 14 was getting difficult to get on the bow some days.
Can't give up my standard 10' with 15hp tiller though. Keep it behind the house for those "I've gotta burn fuel now" moments.
My wife thinks I'm nuts.

Ribs are pretty universal as the most common, though you will see a lot of small hardbody rowing dinghies in the northeastern mooring fields, used by folks to get out to their daysailer or small fishing boat.

Dinghies are like any other boat, a compromise of some sort. All depends on how, where and how often you are going to use it.

We chose the one you will pass down to your grandchildren. Boston Whaler.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 139
Ditto here. Always a trade somewhere. Weight for us is a little bit of an issue. But to the OP- around our marina in Gulfport- RIBS are the most popular.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Here's the smaller one that goes on the boat deck. It can handle some weight.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437312408.073582.jpg

Ribs and other inflatables are most popular here. I also see quite a few 8-10 foot rowing dinghies. In my case I have a West Marine hypalon compact rib 310 and a custom built great harbor 10 fiberglass rowing dinghy. I prefer the rowing dinghy over the rib, but my wife likes the stability of the rib. I use the same Torqeedo 1003s electric outboard on the two dinghies (on the hard dinghy only when the wind is up).

I think there are two factors that seem to play the major role in the choices. First, is what one uses the tender for. If it's just getting to and from shore or a dock, then small inflatable's tend to work fine for most, even rowables. However, we use ours to run around and explore. We often run 50 nm plus in them and sometimes over 100 nm in a day. Our record is probably close to 200 nm.

The second is storage and whether one is willing to tow one or keep it on deck (or on a platform). If on deck, how much space. We often go out in conditions and at speeds that we don't consider conducive to towing. Some, like Oliver, tow one and have another on deck. But since we don't tow, we do go with ribs and we do go for the largest ones we have space for.

Now, form of propulsion is fairly universally outboard. We, however, prefer jets. In the sizes we're talking about that points us to Williams.

You can't go wrong with the proven Boston Whaler. Holds its value and "it is unsinkable" ;)

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437315477.282661.jpg

We chose the one you will pass down to your grandchildren. Boston Whaler.

I love Whalers. During my teens had a 1961 13.3' Whaler with 40 hp Johnson (first an 18, then a 20, then a 40 hp). I bought her when I was 14 yrs. old Cruised entire New England coast, mostly alongside or towed by dad's boat. Once, in latter teens with full dodger, three 6 gal tanks, and SS safety rails I made entire trip by myself, from NY to Maine's Penobscot Bay and back. Stable as a rock in seas... but to make speed in waves a young, supple back was needed... that basically broad flat hulled (tri-point) baby can really pound your ass!

Now that I appreciate seating and ride comfort much more I place our 14'8" 1975 FRP mono hull-V Crestliner on a par with my 13'3" Whaler. This Crestliner is not something I would take coastal (like I did the Whaler); but, it's simply great for fast cruising in the tame SF Delta waters. And, it's strong, rugged construction will last as long as a Whaler. See my post 6.

Last edited:
I love Whalers. During my teens had a 1961 13.3' Whaler with 40 hp Johnson (first an 18, then a 20, then a 40 hp).

One thing we found when looking at Whalers was how restrictive the current maximum hp ratings were and how many people put larger motors on. We have a captain friend who loves Whaler's but in every size boat he was recommending a larger engine than the plate allows and than Whaler will sell with. Basically their limits are 11'-25 hp, 13'-40 hp, 15'-60 hp and 17'-90 hp. With one or two people those are probably adequate but with full loads, are slow to plane.

Certainly Whaler can't be beaten when it comes to durability.

As an alternative if one is going to 16' or more, in South Florida you see quite a few Dusky's. That's what N4712 has as his play boat, ski boat, everything boat. They're sold factory direct so are less expensive plus you have a full choice of motors and aren't limited to Mercury.

I'd also comment that in outboard RIB's, I've always been very impressed with Novurania and their quality.

One thing we found when looking at Whalers was how restrictive the current maximum hp ratings were and how many people put larger motors on. We have a captain friend who loves Whaler's but in every size boat he was recommending a larger engine than the plate allows and than Whaler will sell with. Basically their limits are 11'-25 hp, 13'-40 hp, 15'-60 hp and 17'-90 hp. With one or two people those are probably adequate but with full loads, are slow to plane.

Certainly Whaler can't be beaten when it comes to durability.

As an alternative if one is going to 16' or more, in South Florida you see quite a few Dusky's. That's what N4712 has as his play boat, ski boat, everything boat. They're sold factory direct so are less expensive plus you have a full choice of motors and aren't limited to Mercury.

I'd also comment that in outboard RIB's, I've always been very impressed with Novurania and their quality.

Back in 60's the 13'3" Whaler was then also factory restricted/recommended at 40 hp. max. I saw a couple w/ 50 hp Mercs. Never did race them. As I recall... On measured mile and just me I calced mine with 40 hp Johnson hit 38 mph WOT.

dingy dock

Attachments

• 20150202_102720.jpg
    20150202_102720.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 20150131_130920.jpg
    20150131_130920.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 92
I've towed my Nautica 13.5 Widebody with 50hp HiThrust Yamaha for years, but my YC pushed me into getting it out of the water so I did the modified transomfork davit seen in my avatar pic.

Unfortunately they went pure whack job thus summer and for the "safe and efficient operation of the moorage" tenders can no longer be in the same slip as the boat they service. So I sublet part of another slip - and just removed the davit this week. I'll just keep it on a trailer Labor Day to Memorial Day and tow it when we cruise next month. If we take an "off season" trip I'll just be without it. It was rather inconvenient to maneuver with it on the davit anyway.

What the Nautica is poor at is beaching and landing, particularly on rock. So I've been toying with the idea of getting a small aluminum RIB to supplement - the SMR from Aquapro is well under 100lbs.

We Really like the TAKACAT Dinks....Cat hull, but fully surround bow tubes, They make a few models.....11' long and I can carry it by myself....Nice inflatable floor, with padding....Very Low dray when towed, you can almost hand hold it......Planes with a 2.3 honda if you're light. Hauls butt with a 5 hp. ......Very stable and easy to beach....No "V" to dig in and sits level. 1700.00 ....Takacat usa......Here is a pic. ...We can get 5 adults in it. ...big Advantage is it Rows Easy and Tows easy, since the middle is out of the Water, being a Catamaran hull Dink. :D .....Quality is really good also.....Just another option.

Attachments

• DJI00127.jpg
    DJI00127.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 113
  • DJI00132.jpg
    DJI00132.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC_0639.jpg
    DSC_0639.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 101
  • DJI00064.jpg
    DJI00064.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 111
Most in our area seem to be inflatables...We are quite happy with our Mercury Quicksilver Airdeck. With small platform, options are limited.

Shown here partially deployed so we don't get that closed in feeling at anchor. I have a block mounted up on my Rear hardtop frame which makes loading and deploying very easy.
20150522_152024-vi.jpg

A little 2hp Honda meets our needs perfectly. Easy one hand on and off. We rarely explore more than a mile or 2 from the boat so this works well, plus I've had it for 20 years so it's a known quantity....
20150513_190801-vi.jpg

Stowed for travel"
20150516_102041-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Poet's Cove! Did you take the Whaler through the canal to Port Browning and walk to the grocery?

Indeed, lol! Small world. Were you there? Or is this something you have done yourself in the past?

Last edited:
nwboater, is that a Portland Pudgy?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom