Old 03-27-2017, 02:52 PM   #1

City: Chesapeake Bay
New Bern, NC Marinas

Well looks like we bought a boat.
She is in New Bern and we will have to keep her there for a month while we work on her.
We are going to be working on her fluids and filters at the dock.
Showers would be nice.
This is our first large power boat and our first time cruising her home to Crisfield, MD
Your wisdom has been so helpful.
Suggestions Please
Thank You
ChesapeakeGem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:06 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
If you're looking for marina suggestions, the New Bern Grand Marina is super nice. Walking distance to everything and yes there are showers. New Bern is a nice town.
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:31 PM   #3

Sounds Grande
Thank you
Old 03-27-2017, 03:42 PM   #4
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
For short-term stay, New Bern Grand will do fine for you. Their showers are a long walk if you are on A-C Dock

Bridgeport is just across the Trent River bridge and basically the same price and the marina facilities are a bit closer to the docks. Newer too.

The Galley Store is around the corner. I don't know if they allow working on your boat, but the think I dislike about it is it hangs right out tin the river and it is a rolly place to be. They do have fuel and a nice shore convenience store with a good beer selection.

Across the Neuse is Bridgeton Marina. It is also very exposed. I can't comment on the facilities. I have never seen them.

All of the above have floating docks.

Down river about 7 miles is Northwest Creek (basically our home marina, but we aren't there at the moment). It is often called the Fairfield Harbor Marina as it is in the middle of that development. It's a good place. It is beginning to age. It is a good community of boaters. It has fixed piers but the fingers are very short. The huge plus is that it is a hurricane hole and you are not asked to leave during storms. They have an extensive plan to protect boats. They have fuel and pumpout onsite. Showers are older, but lots of liveabords use them with no complaints.

I suggest yoiu visit them, but the reality is that for just a month, stay at The Grand and explore downtown on foot.
Brewery 99
Brown Pelican
Capt. Ratty's
Bruins
MJ's
Beer Army
BTM (Bear Town Market)
The Cellar
Bear Town Coffee(?)
Old 03-27-2017, 03:44 PM   #5
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egregious View Post
If you're looking for marina suggestions, the New Bern Grand Marina is super nice. Walking distance to everything and yes there are showers. New Bern is a nice town.
We have stayed there twice for a few days each time. It's a good marina in a great town. Nice showers and laundry. Friendly staff. One even got down on the floor and played with our puppy.

Next time we hit New Bern we will stay there again.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
For short-term stay, New Bern Grand will do fine for you. Their showers are a long walk if you are on A-C Dock

Bridgeport is just across the Trent River bridge and basically the same price and the marina facilities are a bit closer to the docks. Newer too.

The Galley Store is around the corner. I don't know if they allow working on your boat, but the think I dislike about it is it hangs right out tin the river and it is a rolly place to be. They do have fuel and a nice shore convenience store with a good beer selection.

Across the Neuse is Bridgeton Marina. It is also very exposed. I can't comment on the facilities. I have never seen them.

All of the above have floating docks.

Down river about 7 miles is Northwest Creek (basically our home marina, but we aren't there at the moment). It is often called the Fairfield Harbor Marina as it is in the middle of that development. It's a good place. It is beginning to age. It is a good community of boaters. It has fixed piers but the fingers are very short. The huge plus is that it is a hurricane hole and you are not asked to leave during storms. They have an extensive plan to protect boats. They have fuel and pumpout onsite. Showers are older, but lots of liveabords use them with no complaints.

I suggest yoiu visit them, but the reality is that for just a month, stay at The Grand and explore downtown on foot.
Brewery 99
Brown Pelican
Capt. Ratty's
Bruins
MJ's
Beer Army
BTM (Bear Town Market)
The Cellar
Bear Town Coffee(?)

Hey Tom,
Such great information!
We are going to be spending a lot of time going to and from our vehicle, Bridgeport
Sounds perfect! Here hoping they have room
Old 03-27-2017, 07:14 PM   #7
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
It's BridgePointe that you need, not port. Both there and at the NBGM are also super convenient to get out to the highway for West Marine trips. There is a little local hardware store, Mitchell's Hardware, that also has tons of pieces parts and tools.

Congrats on the new boat!
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:35 PM   #8

City: Little River, SC
Vessel Name: Last Resort
Vessel Model: Hyatt 40 Sundeck
Congrats! What did you get?
NC-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-Ray View Post
Congrats! What did you get?

Thank you
We got a 1983 36 foot sea Ray aft cabin with twin Perkins
Old 03-28-2017, 07:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besslb View Post
It's BridgePointe that you need, not port. Both there and at the NBGM are also super convenient to get out to the highway for West Marine trips. There is a little local hardware store, Mitchell's Hardware, that also has tons of pieces parts and tools.

Congrats on the new boat!

LOL! Got it
Old 03-28-2017, 07:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

City: New Bern, NC
Vessel Name: Miss Deb
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Our boat is at Bridgepointe Marina, just across the bridge from downtown New Bern and we highly recommend it. We like the fact that you have dedicated parking for the marina. That helps a great deal when you are making multiple trips from vehicle to boat to load/off-load supplies and gear.

There are showers (though only 2).

PM me if you would like more information.

Gene
SlowsailNC is offline   Reply With Quote