New Bahamas Fees

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
The same as currently if staying less than three months.

Doubled from 3 months to a year.

So no effect on us, but wondering how the stagnaters in Georgetown will react! :)

https://www.bahamas.com/faq/enteringexiting-policies

Heck, even if staying for longer than three months, not that much of an increased burden.

It could have been a lot worse. An extra $300 for us is easily covered by eating out at local restaurants less (no McDuff's this time, for sure!), and one or two nights less in marinas there. That's where our discretionary funding lies in our cruising budget.

And, that is still what the government tax collectors never understand. They are not bringing new money in, they are just changing where what was already coming in, will go.

And, that is still what the government tax collectors never understand. They are not bringing new money in, they are just changing where what was already coming in, will go.

I guess they would rather have it in the government coffers than in the hands of their small businesses!

Greetings,
A conundrum, to be sure for the Bahamian government. I suspect, one reason may be is, they are still trying to cut down on the US "market fishermen". Many moons ago when the entry fees were VERY much less and I can't remember the $$ amount, we boated to the Bahamas on a couple of occasions. I was shocked by the amount of fish/conch and lobster that was being brought into the docks. I commented on the numbers and asked what the "harvesters" were going to do with their catches. "Going back to the states...we'll get premium prices." Or something to that effect.

For a few $$, then, anybody could cross over, fill their boats/freezers with catch and leave. Now, the increased fees will cut into their profit margins so they may be less inclined to make the trip?????

Back
Top Bottom